Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:31 (Ref:1864210)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford owns a part of mazda, and not the controlling interest.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:54 (Ref:1864223)   #27
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
... then you must agree that Ford is owned by its creditors and they don't like sponsoring racing, or anything for that mater.
unless it's NASCAR...
Old 12 Mar 2007, 02:20 (Ref:1864243)   #28
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Ford owns a part of mazda, and not the controlling interest.
That depends on what your definition of a controlling interest is. According to Japanese Stock Market regulations, Ford has a controlling interest.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1864423)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think that may be a bit of semantics with the Japanese, Fogelhund. By law, Japanese corporations cannot be owned by a foreign entity. A number of years ago Ford had to sell shares of Toyo Kogyo (Mazda), Chrysler (Mitsubishi) and GM (Isuzu) in order to comply. I do not believe that at the time any had what we in the US would think of as a "controlling interest" (i.e. 50% or more), but they did under the definition provided by the Japanese.

This is going back some years so my recollection is hazy...but I think it is still accurate.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1864603)   #30
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view most of this whole argument/debate goes back to an underlying comparison of what used to be. What used to be is CART. Today Champ Car is not CART not even close. It is a completely new animal a whole new formula in motorsport. About the only remanant of CART is a handful of drivers who still prefer to turn both directions. Yes, CART was the catalyst to allow this new series to emerge yet today it is nothing more.

As far as I am concerned this genesis or re-emergence has required a complete teardown and reorganization of the past. It is happening, slow but sure. People are quick to look at all the things today that Champ Car isn't compared to CART. Its time to let it go and look at what Champ Car for what it is with all of its positive aspects and short comings. This will take time, a lot of time. The bright side to me is that it has the real potential to become a fantastic formula, a real joy to watch.

I used to post here a lot but not so much any more as I have just read too many threads of the same old crap. Its dead, no its alive, no its dead, no its alive. CART is dead but Champ Car is alive and kicking. Not kicking too hard yet as these things take time. I just want to sit back and enjoy watching the racing.

Personally, I decided to put a team together and go racing instead of sitting in front of the computer whining about racing. Started low and slow, with Champ Car as the goal. Seen some good success and we will get there. Next year we had our sights set on Formula BMW but with this new Mazda announcement it makes me curious as to how long until Pro Mazda is the new piece of the ladder. Decisions, Decisions.

In the meantime, keep up the debate but recognize it for what it is. See you guys at the track !!!!!!!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1864618)   #31
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford hasn't sold Mazda, in fact it upped its stake from 15 to 33.4% in 1996, when Mazda was in trouble. Mark Fields (current head of Ford Americas) headed the turnaround there. It was upping that stake that really allowed Ford to start platform sharing with Mazda.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1865172)   #32
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford has been using mazda engines sence the 70's
Old 13 Mar 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1865739)   #33
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news Flatspot. Congratulations! Hang around a post please. I have checked out some of the other forums, some have some very good information from insiders, but wading through all the garbage posts to get to that information is a time consuming chore. I like this forum and hope that it continues to be insightful and a forum for debate as it has in the past.
Old 13 Mar 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1866048)   #34
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steelback officially confirmed as presenting sponsor for Toronto Grand Prix.
http://champcarworldseries.com/News/...e.asp?ID=11337

Hopefully they got their money upfront, as I understand Steelback beers aren't setting the world on fire.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 08:55 (Ref:1866255)   #35
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Mazda is more than the official vehicle of champcar.

I would not expect any less from miller at this point or for here on out.

Ultimately this is a test weekend. Even nascar test weekends hardly rate. Wait for the racing to begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
But the best news for Champ Car is that nobody noticed, because Media Day didn’t get a lot of national play. No USA Today. No L.A. Times. No Indianapolis Star. No Las Vegas papers. Not even new broadcast and marketing “partner” ESPN bothered to send anybody. It was just a quaint little group. Tristan, Zsolt, a few Internet sites, one racing weekly and SPEED. We came, we saw and we shook our heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA TODAY
Former NASCAR Cup series champions Matt Kenseth, Bobby Labonte and Rusty Wallace, along with two-time series runner-up Jimmie Johnson, hit the track Tuesday in the second Nextel Cup session of Preseason Thunder scheduled at Daytona International Speedway.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...notebook_x.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY TIMES
NASCAR PRESEASON THUNDER -- Racing suit feeling a little tight? Now that the holidays are over, some 25 teams of Nascar drivers are participating in the three-day Nextel Cup Series Testing, the annual preseason mental and physical gut-check held at the Daytona International Speedway (above) in ...
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A80894DF404482
Old 14 Mar 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1866495)   #36
norman-normal
Veteran

Is there some point you wish to make Hazza?
Old 14 Mar 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1866732)   #37
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just suggesting that Nascar does indeed get coverage at their tests.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1866820)   #38
norman-normal
Veteran

Indeed.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 01:52 (Ref:1866927)   #39
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it's not very good coverage. Rusty Wallace hasn't driven in a while.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1867095)   #40
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
But he still does testing, just as Bobby Unser tested for years with various CART teams after he retired.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.