Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Sep 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2293412)   #476
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also travelling down tomorrow. I would sleep in the car, but with the weather as it has been this is the only chance I've got to blow the dust off the trailer tent. Just have to hope I can find some space.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2293584)   #477
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDog
I'm in exactly the same boat as alexhall - I've only been marshalling 3 months and this is my first event at silverstone, first 24 hour event and first Britcar event so please look after me! I'm only really known to the regular Cadwell crew.

I can't make it down there until tomorrow afternoon so I'll be arriving hopefully 4pm tomorrow and will be sleeping in the car (dark red 405 saloon).

I hope I've packed enough stuff....17 litres of drink plus 2 litres of kick be enough do we think?
I'm a relitively new boy from Lincoln too. I'm not going until Saturday (couldn't get out of work and no holiday left) but see you there. I'm in a Grey 57 plate Octavia. There is a Cadwell post thanks to Alan, do you know if your on it?

I'm jelous now, sat at work knowing your all playing in orange
Old 19 Sep 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2293593)   #478
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im stuck at work trying to concentrate but finding it difficult due to my mind thinking "have I packed everything... what have I forgotten?" Still after a quickish trip to a supermarket for a few more bits and some fuel, I'll be dodging the traffic on my way to Silverstone this afternoon! Cant bloody wait! Just hope the Oulton crew have saved me a spec for me tent!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2293597)   #479
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have the fun of trying to find somewhere to pitch on sunday after the race finishes, I'm aiming to get down to Silverstone for sign-on tommorow morning, but it will likely be cutting it close, so doubt I'll get a chance to set the tent up (well, find a space more to the point, the tent's one of those quick-pitch things - 5 mins and it's done)
So if anyone's feeling kind save me a spec as well in amongst the Oulton lot (even tho I've only been twice so far, LOL)
Old 19 Sep 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2293689)   #480
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well having popped up last night festivities seemed to be in full swing, driving back this morning there seemed to be hundreds of BMW's heading towards the circuit so the support races should be good too!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2293820)   #481
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wanted to do Today! I finished work about 9am this morning from being nightshift all week. Next year I'll take the 3 days off and do Friday. I'll be there at 7:15 Sat morning really looking forward to this now.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2293855)   #482
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
I'm wishing I'd taken today off as well now, I've got a couple of days spare as well, oh well, I'll know for next time.

Looking forward to this more the closer I get to setting off, I'm in the middle of packing my stuff, trying to get something to eat and attempting to have an early night (I struggle to sleep before 1AM at the best of times). Probably leaving Liverpool around 04:30 AM tommorow, hoping to get to Silverstone for around 7AM for signon, traffic permitting. Hopefully the M6 toll will make me some time up...
Old 21 Sep 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2294717)   #483
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from an amazing weekend.
Was on copse corner and had an amazing weekend.
Some really good racing and a good bunch of lads on post.

Name on the list for next year.

Assisted with startline incident (hope driver is ok).
had a few breakdowns/1st corner incidents.

Thanks to all the guys for a cracking weekend.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2294721)   #484
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great day
Lovely ice cream and very kind of beachdean motorsport supplying it
The pit report were very interesting by the end of the day - funny comments by the teams and signatures by us
Old 21 Sep 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2294754)   #485
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best one ever by a long way, great team @ Farm, great weather and a Porsche winning - it doesn't get any better.
Special thanks to Alan Tyson & Shelagh for the efforts they put in to see that the Marshals were well looked after. Super heroes both. here's to next year.
Old 21 Sep 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2294759)   #486
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to 2nd what the FC said,
Thanks to Alan & Shelag.
Thanks to Britcar for the goodies,esp Brekky & Evening meal.
Thanks to the Racers for some excellent racing.
Thanks to Race Control for guiding us thru a safe weekend.

Have learnt a lot over the last year and this weekend i was ableto put that in to good effect.

Roll on 2009
Old 21 Sep 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2294760)   #487
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Special thanks to Alan Tyson & Shelagh for the efforts they put in to see that the Marshals were well looked after. Super heroes both. here's to next year.

Aw Shucks!

Actually thanks also to Pam, Rhiannon and Paul the Snapper for Pie and lunch deliveries.

And thanks also to ALL who helped to make the butties. I believe they were actually better appreciated than the ready-made types.

I had a fantastic weekend, despite lack of sleep and sunburnt neck.

Excellent work in Assembly by Fraser, Stephanie, Mervyn and Rhiannon with a little help from me. I personally think we did an unbelievable job considering the size of some of the grids.

And thanks to the chief flags for letting me wave the chequered flag at the end of night qualifying.

Gosh - it's beginning to sound like an Oscar's speech.

Roll on next year (but only if I get some sleep).
Old 21 Sep 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2294762)   #488
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
Thanks to Alan & Shelagh.

Have learnt a lot over the last year and this weekend i was able to put that in to good effect.

Roll on 2009
Hear Hear!

In addition many thanks to the Woodcote Gap incident crew during the 24 especially for the help with the SC board and extra flags. And also to the pits/startline teams.

Now where has that 2009 thread gone?
Old 21 Sep 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2294782)   #489
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Just got back home after a less than enjoyable motorway journey home,
gotta say I'm absolutely knackered, but really enjoyed the atmosphere of the 24hr itself, luckily I was on pedestrian bridge so got to stand at the side of the grid during the build up etc, but then we had the incident at the start, my biggest by a long way, glad to hear over the tannoy and via various other marshalls that the driver is relatively 'OK' considering it was such a big smash. Even the small amount of experience and training I've picked up over my first year helped when it all happened, and I'd like to say a thanks to Rob and Jason from Silverstones ES crew who were in charge on post at the time, I thought they did a great job in the midst of that carnage. I was heading out following Jason after the initial car had spun & hit the wall, then he just shouted "get down", and hit the deck. It honestly from that second on seemed just like people say - happening in slow motion for a few seconds.

I really enjoyed the night racing, and the atmosphere in the pits, walking amongst the teams in the pits etc (a big thanks to whichever team I scrounged a coffee off at about 3AM..all I remember is there coffee area/tent was promoting Superchips, I didn't think I should push my luck and see if they had a freebie for my little baby 8V Calibra!).

Thanks to everyone else I bumped into over the sat & sun, Si and his mate from the Oulton park crew who I was on post with, Pete, and Bob Sketchley, sound bloke and a great to work with on post I thought.

I think if I do it next year I'll really have to at least get down on the friday and camp over, as leaving at 4AM saturday morning to drive down from Liverpool turned it onto more like a 36 hours event ,and I'm just so tired now!
Old 21 Sep 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2294790)   #490
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back too, M1 crap as usual for a Sunday. Anyway I enjoyed this years event. Thanks to all for organisimg food, bags etc much appreciated. Our unit was involved in the start line shunt and it certainly cought us all on the hop, was not quite expecting that at the start of the 24hr. Can I say from the units involved a thank you to the marshals at the scene. Some were asked to do small jobs. They do seem small but believe me in an incident like this it frees us up to get on with in my case using the tools. Everyone acted proffesionally at the time. Thanks guys.
Well done to number 6 for winning.
Only critisism I have is with Silverstone Paddock restraunt. Personnaly and I know a few others also mentioned I though the the food in there was poor and repeat menu on 3 days was poor too. Just an opinion but will be shot for this anyway. The cuttlery was of no use. So more broken fork incidents than anything.
Thanks again to BRSCC, Britcar sponsers etc.
RS.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2294971)   #491
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For everyone asking about Andy Neate's condition, I saw this post in the other Britcar thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=120
Old 22 Sep 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2294973)   #492
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deleted duplicate of above

Last edited by PenelopePitstop; 22 Sep 2008 at 08:29.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2294983)   #493
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks to Alan & Shelag.

Have learnt a lot over the last year and this weekend i was ableto put that in to good effect.

Roll on 2009
Thanks to you guys too. Without you there would be no racing at all!

Thank you all for keeping everyone safe.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2295069)   #494
JIMGOD
Racer

United Kingdom
huthwaite
JIMGOD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got back at 6pm last night, fantastic run home.
Can't thank enough people for a superbly run weekend, some fantastic racing.
Some very long shifts with power naps in between meant did not miss too much off the 24hr race,
Special thanks must go to Julian from all in Pits who managed to get a lap in the course car.
Good to put faces to names from here.
Even managed to get cap off crew manager in the end that we where all after.
some pictures of the weekend here
Thanks again to all in pits for a great weekend.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2295128)   #495
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just got back from an amazing weekend.
Was on copse corner and had an amazing weekend.
Some really good racing and a good bunch of lads on post.

Name on the list for next year.

Assisted with startline incident (hope driver is ok).
had a few breakdowns/1st corner incidents.

Thanks to all the guys for a cracking weekend.
Hi Gary, It's Mark. Great working with you and everyone at Copse, I had a great time. looking forward to 2009 britcar and thank you for the Bacon Butties at 5am! Hope to see you at Silverstone Soon.
Mark
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2295147)   #496
sandman
Rookie

sandman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good weekend

Thanks to all for a fun weekend and most of all to the pie lady for the pies.The drive up the m6 as bad as ever.Never done a 24 hour before roll on next year.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2295153)   #497
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-CoolC
For everyone asking about Andy Neate's condition, I saw this post in the other Britcar thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=120
Damn, sorry, I hadn't seen that, otherwise I wouldn't have posted 'relatively OK', my apologies if it upset anyone, I honestly didn't know.

I'm sure everyone's thoughts are with Andy and his family.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2295164)   #498
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the obvious exception of the terrible accident at the start, I think this was the best 24hrs yet. It was great to actually have enough marshals, both incident and flag/observer, to know that the post would be "adequately manned" at all times. Thanks to all at Vale for the various recoveries.

James and all his team at Britcar did a great job in looking after the marshals, both before and during the event. Alan and all in Race Control ran it very well and the sandwiches, fruit & cakes were extremely welcome.

Looking forward to next year already,

Gerry
Old 22 Sep 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2295214)   #499
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Sneader
The cuttlery was of no use. So more broken fork incidents than anything.
I think I went through 3 Friday breakfast and went for stuff I could eat by hand or without putting pressure on the cutlery after that I agree though, the choice was shocking, the food in there is generally not great, but thats another discussion

I had a brilliant weekend on Becketts Inside, not too much to do but enjoyable none the less. Minor spin and pull off on Friday, but very entertaining drivers who livened me up as I was suffering a bit from the heat and being generally knackered. At that point I was wondering how I would make it through the race, but I did, and I felt great at the end, hit me when I got home though. Was gutted for the Clio driver who retired by us with about 15minutes to go, what a brilliant effort and it must have been awful for it to fall apart with so little time to go....

Even better event than last year, time flew in fact and it didnt feel like 24hrs. Probably helped that i managed to get a little bit more sleep this time, air bed rather than car which made all the difference! Until I was trying to sleep at 5am and could do nothing but shiver for the next 3 hours!

Im feeling quite shocked and deflated now after reading the post above about Andy Neate's condition, having heard the various stories floating round the circuit as obviously a lot of people did that his injuries were perhaps not as major as they could have been. Knowing this just proves you shouldnt listen to rumours I guess and my thoughts are with him as well as his family and friends and the TVR team.
Old 22 Sep 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2295216)   #500
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall a great weekend, the banter was fantastic, especially around Abbey and the campsite. Good to meet so many of you, and also quite pleased to have survived on so little sleep. I'm definately back next year!!!

My thoughts are with Andy and his family at this time, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.