Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2812716)   #476
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
45's? They're shopping carbs
Old 7 Jan 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2812717)   #477
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Why dont you fit the homologated twin down draughts Iain it would make it elligible for more championships especially Post Historics.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2812746)   #478
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Why dont you fit the homologated twin down draughts Iain it would make it elligible for more championships especially Post Historics.
Yea i did spot them in Burton Cataloge Al. The good thing i suppose is that it would br fairly easy to change later on.Must buy an extra lotto ticket.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2812803)   #479
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Tell us more Mike and Joe. Dont forget im a newbee to saloons.
Joe has the mags- I just have memory

It was a 'project car' 1300GT (? too early for Mex and chrome trim round side windows) that Broadspeed modded for them and think it was set up for rallying- in fairly basic terms. They featured the build of it over several months and obviously Ford had a hand in the whole thing as it went round their dealers and shows. They then put it up as prize and reckon I entered it every month- really wanted that car!

Seem to remember CCC had a run of project cars and was definitely the main magazine to read in those days- apart from Muttering Noods of course. And it was a lot cheaper than Octane

I've just been given some recent copies of 'Evo' surplus to requirements- don't even know what most of the cars are!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 8 Jan 2011 at 06:09.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 06:08 (Ref:2812805)   #480
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Think they are even more to buy than 45s- but at least they are available again! (Even if made in wrong place) Sidedrafts will give more power, the 44s are compromised. Originally the homologation was done in Germany and twin Solex downdrafts were used. They were pretty wheezy and UK soon had it changed to Webbers. Only reason for downdrafts was lack of space in Gp1 engine compartment. Battery tray was in way and standard road car had massive long battery as well. If you use smaller battery or get rid of tray and it altogether (CTCRC allow) enough room for sidedrafts- just.

For FIA & HTP battery has to stay in engine compartment, but can be somewhere else in it. Errrr....
Old 8 Jan 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2812826)   #481
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
CTCRC DO allow sidedrughts in the Pre-83's(Gp1) but DON'T allow them in the Post Historics (Pre 74's)so if it was me i would run the down draughts that way the car can run in either championship and take advantage of the generous £100 a second race scheme.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2812844)   #482
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey,

The CTCRC are paying drivers £100 per second? That makes a twenty mins thrash worth entering. Where do I sign up?
Old 8 Jan 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2812869)   #483
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a guy who has a pinto powered Westfield with the downdraughts on it. I will see if he will part with them.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2812873)   #484
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
CTCRC DO allow sidedrughts in the Pre-83's(Gp1) but DON'T allow them in the Post Historics (Pre 74's)so if it was me i would run the down draughts that way the car can run in either championship and take advantage of the generous £100 a second race scheme.
Im confussed Al.Thanks SAMD. Will wait to hear from you.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2812878)   #485
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
no words required . . .
This is exactly what I was looking for when getting a tow car for Daniel's Mexico, but rare as hen's teeth, so settled on a modern Cortina with a Jaguar badge on it!
Old 8 Jan 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2812882)   #486
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Im confussed Al.Thanks SAMD. Will wait to hear from you.
I believe you can run sidedraughts in Group1 (Pre 83) but not Post Historics (Pre 74), so Al is saying if you run downdraughts you will be able to run in both races and take advantage of the reduced entry fee for the 2nd race (£100).

Al, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2812887)   #487
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I believe you can run sidedraughts in Group1 (Pre 83) but not Post Historics (Pre 74), so Al is saying if you run downdraughts you will be able to run in both races and take advantage of the reduced entry fee for the 2nd race (£100).

Al, correct me if I'm wrong.
The other interpretation sounded better

Correction re cost of new carbs- it is the downdraft manifold that is expensive- the 44 carbs seem to be little bit cheaper than 45s.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2812914)   #488
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Joe has the mags- I just have memory
If anyone is looking for a reason to not work on their project I'm sure I've a rake of old CCCs from the 70s sat in boxes in my garage which have been their since we moved here 17 years ago......Take 'em free!

Otherwise I might have to donate them to the local doctor's waiting room - their stock needs updating
Old 8 Jan 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2812939)   #489
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The other interpretation sounded better

Correction re cost of new carbs- it is the downdraft manifold that is expensive- the 44 carbs seem to be little bit cheaper than 45s.
Its got to be worth fitting the homologated downdraughts surely, I thought all you guys were sticklers for using the correct parts and surely this would allow you to get the required certification to run in more races.

We have a 2002 that used to run in both Post Historics and Gp1 till it was pointed out it had the wrong sidedraughts (48 Webbers) so now only runs in Gp1, from what I see the cars on downdraughts are equally quick maybe they breath better as the sidedraughts are seriously close to the bulkhead and need to run without filters (not good IMHO) and make up for the angled path the mixture has to take. A proper airbox with a cold air feed would I imagine help enourmously on the downdraughts and much easier to do than the sidedraught option if possible at all.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 8 Jan 2011 at 15:00.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2812940)   #490
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
If anyone is looking for a reason to not work on their project I'm sure I've a rake of old CCCs from the 70s sat in boxes in my garage which have been their since we moved here 17 years ago......Take 'em free!

Otherwise I might have to donate them to the local doctor's waiting room - their stock needs updating
I would love that Lancsbreaker, the problem is, I would want to read them all..
Old 8 Jan 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2812941)   #491
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Its got to be worth fitting the homologated downdraughts surely, I thought all you guys were sticklers for using the correct parts and surely this would allow you to get the required certification to run in more races.
The 44s are supposed to be very good as well.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2812957)   #492
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Burton,s twin 44 including manifold £875.00. To me that sounds a very good price. I will have to se how the next couple of weeks go.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2812959)   #493
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
ha ha thats why I love a yank, 750 Holley Double Pumper, Ebay 100 quid!
Old 8 Jan 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2812963)   #494
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

I've been flogging my old magazines on jolly old Ebay. Listing the things is time-consuming, but it's nice to see them going to someone who wants them after looking after the things for 30 odd years.
The small financial return is nice too (and if you start the bidding at 99p, there's no listing charge either!)
Old 8 Jan 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2812964)   #495
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Burton,s twin 44 including manifold £875.00. To me that sounds a very good price. I will have to se how the next couple of weeks go.
Especially when their price for manifold on it's own is £372.50. (DCOE £81.95?)

Like always if you can wait long enough a bargain will probably come up. Problem is most of us can't wait for ever!

Al, I am putting 44idfs on my RS2 so that car can run to any Gp1 regs.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2812968)   #496
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've been flogging my old magazines on jolly old Ebay. Listing the things is time-consuming, but it's nice to see them going to someone who wants them after looking after the things for 30 odd years.
The small financial return is nice too (and if you start the bidding at 99p, there's no listing charge either!)
Another project then. Have got virtually every C&SC since first issue in 80s and will need to bin or move them on soon!
Old 8 Jan 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2812983)   #497
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carbs off of Ebay?? Fully refurbished? didn't think there was such a thing as a bargain [I was right,there wasn't! Be careful with what you buy,it could cost just as much as buying new]
Old 8 Jan 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2813008)   #498
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just found this period pic on my pc of a Gp1 RS2000 engine- as homologated.

Question- what are the 4 pipes running to or from the bottom of the carbs? It's not the fuel supply- that is from the mechanical fuel pump (remember those!)

Old 8 Jan 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2813016)   #499
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me,...what are the regs concerning carbs when running 1600 xflow,post historic and grp.1 ctcrc. Can i use dcoe 40's/45's for both classes?
Old 8 Jan 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2813017)   #500
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In post hist (pre74) the original carbs and carb size must be retained, Mexico 40's, please correct me if i'm wrong. However in grp1 carbs are free providing the original number of chokes are retained. In short if you run in both you would have to use 40,s. If you ran solely in grp 1 you can choose your carbs. Dave