Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2934064)   #476
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sent an angry complaint to the bbc which has made me feel slightly better with myself. i have to question why they axe f1 and keep all the rubbish they show. like someone said 1 year to the olympics. f1 has such high viewing figures and should easily take priority over the crap shown on bbc 3 (and this is comming from someone who is meant to be their target audience)! They have kept sports which are pointless such as athletics trials and swimining heats coverage and worse of all the shambles and cruelty that is the grand national. I only really watch the f1 on bbc and i think from next year it will be basically nothing, already switch to skynews after their news coverage has swung to far to the left.

Rant over. ha.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2934066)   #477
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
beau1

Not everything is liked by everybody, and for 145 pounds a year you get an enormous selection at the beeb...
You also get a lot of dross and politicising.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2934067)   #478
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
You also get a lot of dross and politicising.
On the BBC?

Not nearly so much as you do on the dumbed down, editorially controlled commercial stations.

Besides, one viewer's dross is another viewer's quality programming. And I see the 'politicising' as the bBC honouring its neutral position by supporting factual programming from a wide range of viewpoints.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2934074)   #479
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
On the BBC?

Not nearly so much as you do on the dumbed down, editorially controlled commercial stations.

Besides, one viewer's dross is another viewer's quality programming. And I see the 'politicising' as the bBC honouring its neutral position by supporting factual programming from a wide range of viewpoints.
I suppose some people do find Eastenders a quality programme.

As for the BBC honoring its neutral position, that can be debated on the British Politics thread.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2934081)   #480
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
I only really watch the f1 on bbc and i think from next year it will be basically nothing, already switch to skynews after their news coverage has swung to far to the left.
Post of the day!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2934088)   #481
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Post of the day!
I think we should start awarding a prize..
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2934098)   #482
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Quote:
beau1

Not everything is liked by everybody, and for 145 pounds a year you get an enormous selection at the beeb...
umm no you dont i watch hardly anything on the bbc with the exception of a few comedy shows and even then they have been heavily edited.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2934100)   #483
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcar View Post
umm no you dont i watch hardly anything on the bbc with the exception of a few comedy shows and even then they have been heavily edited.
Okay....
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2934101)   #484
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sky don't care about viewers or viewer numbers, only new hd subscribers @£65 a go. The BBC can't do anything now because they have been cash strapped by Cameron as part of a deal with James Murdoch to have his newspapers support him at the last election.

The only people who can help now are the sponsors, who like us are being sold short.

That's where we should be focussing our attention imho.

Just look at IndyCar if you want to see what can happen to a series when it goes to a pay TV model. It is all but finished and is now almost a sponsor free zone.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2934105)   #485
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
IndyCar fell apart after the split...
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2934107)   #486
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
IndyCar fell apart after the split...
aided by ill considered TV deals, which have now brought it to it's knees.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2934108)   #487
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Sky don't care about viewers or viewer numbers, only new hd subscribers @£65 a go. The BBC can't do anything now because they have been cash strapped by Cameron as part of a deal with James Murdoch to have his newspapers support him at the last election.

The only people who can help now are the sponsors, who like us are being sold short.

That's where we should be focussing our attention imho.

Just look at IndyCar if you want to see what can happen to a series when it goes to a pay TV model. It is all but finished and is now almost a sponsor free zone.
The BBC cash strapped themselves by overpaying their exceutives and TV stars like Jonathan Ross obscene amounts of money and now they are paying, no pun intended, the price. Just like their New Labour chums, the BBC have no understanding of fiscal responsibility.

Indy Car's problems have been exacerbated by TV coverage but the problems with Indy Car have been around since 1996.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2934120)   #488
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
The BBC cash strapped themselves by overpaying their exceutives and TV stars like Jonathan Ross obscene amounts of money and now they are paying, no pun intended, the price. Just like their New Labour chums, the BBC have no understanding of fiscal responsibility.

Indy Car's problems have been exacerbated by TV coverage but the problems with Indy Car have been around since 1996.
Whether salary excesses at the BBC had any bearing on this decision is highly unlikely, although I wouldn't disagree about the management failures and nepotism in past years which have driven me mad too.

James Murdoch has wanted to drive the BBC into the ground for years, it's an essential part of his corporate strategy for growth. F1 is probably the most popular sport his company does NOT control, hence interest in talks with CVC etc.

The Tories hate the BBC because it's perceived as "left wing" but which is nonsense as it is apolitical by statute.

Remember, had Avaaz and others not organised an online petition of 180,000 members of the public protesting against the proposed BSB takeover Murdoch would own it all. The delay in Jeremy Hunt needing to be seen to read those emails gave just enough time for News Corporation's corruption and bribery to be revealed.

F1 would not be on Sky TV next year had Cameron not have promised his grubby little pal that he would nobble the BBC. That is the truth of the matter, unless of course you have better information.

The tragedy is that if this pay TV model spreads to elsewhere in Europe sponsors will desert the sport or pay considerably less. It is a short-sighted and dangerous precedent.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2011/...-disaster.html
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2934124)   #489
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The Tories hate the BBC because it's perceived as "left wing" but which is nonsense as it is apolitical by statute.
I love this; a sweeping political statement about a party applying an incorrect sweeping political misconception!

Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2934129)   #490
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I love this; a sweeping political statement about a party applying an incorrect sweeping political misconception!

Surely that summarises all political debate? It wouldn't be politics if it was based on facts surely?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2934130)   #491
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Sky don't care about viewers or viewer numbers, ...
No one cares about other viewers judging by the comments about BBC3 or whatever. As long as what I like is on and free that is all that matters seems to be the mantra.

We're in an F1-centric world here, let's be a little careful. Not always from the same people, but we have whinging about giving sky money, whinging about being forced to give the beeb money and just general I shouldn't pay anything and get everything.
OK, I overstate this, but if I was an outsider reading this thread I might well end up with the false perception of an F1 fan.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2934131)   #492
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Surely that summarises all political debate? It wouldn't be politics if it was based on facts surely?
It probably does
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2934136)   #493
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Whether salary excesses at the BBC had any bearing on this decision is highly unlikely, although I wouldn't disagree about the management failures and nepotism in past years which have driven me mad too.

James Murdoch has wanted to drive the BBC into the ground for years, it's an essential part of his corporate strategy for growth. F1 is probably the most popular sport his company does NOT control, hence interest in talks with CVC etc.

Remember, had Avaaz and others not organised an online petition of 180,000 members of the public protesting against the proposed BSB takeover Murdoch would own it all. The delay in Jeremy Hunt needing to be seen to read those emails gave just enough time for News Corporation's corruption and bribery to be revealed.

F1 would not be on Sky TV next year had Cameron not have promised his grubby little pal that he would nobble the BBC. That is the truth of the matter, unless of course you have better information.

The tragedy is that if this pay TV model spreads to elsewhere in Europe sponsors will desert the sport or pay considerably less. It is a short-sighted and dangerous precedent.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2011/...-disaster.html
I don't know how reliable your information is but this should be debated on the British Politics thread. Why don't you start the debate?

As for Indy Car I'll repeat what I said in post #487, Indy Car's problems have been exacerbated by TV coverage but the problems with Indy Car have been around since 1996. Again, this can be debated on the Indy Car thread.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2934141)   #494
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
I don't know how reliable your information is but this should be debated on the British Politics thread. Why don't you start the debate?.
Well I think everything I have said appertains to the thread "F1 goes to sky sports" otherwise I wouldn't have posted it here. What is the problem? F1 and politics are irrevocably entwined..... see Bahrain GP for reference, and this issue in particular.

Anyway I'm done now.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 19:19 (Ref:2934150)   #495
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Well I think everything I have said appertains to the thread "F1 goes to sky sports" otherwise I wouldn't have posted it here. What is the problem? F1 and politics are irrevocably entwined..... see Bahrain GP for reference, and this issue in particular.

Anyway I'm done now.
It pertains to a certain extent but you need to substantiate statements like this,

Quote:
which is the 'truth' as far as you are concerned and why I suggested you take this to the British Politics thread. It could make for a good discussion.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2934159)   #496
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think i can add much to this thread and most points have been covered.
It is sad that its going to Sky and i wont subscribe.
I dont live in the dark ages but I have never felt the need to pay for Sky.
I have a dish and box and watch the free channels so last year i got nascar, this year not, ho hum.
My tv is 15 years old, when it breaks I will replace it.
My point is I will move on and will do what i do now, watch the races when i catch them.
The only people whos blood pressure is rising is die hard must watch it live fans.
By the way Bernie should walk away.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2934226)   #497
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they prevent Martin Brundle from doing the Pit Walk today so he wouldn't ask Bernie about the Sky deal?
Old 31 Jul 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2934227)   #498
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
By the way Bernie should walk away.
Amen to that. In Spades.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2934229)   #499
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Did they prevent Martin Brundle from doing the Pit Walk today so he wouldn't ask Bernie about the Sky deal?
nah they said at the beginning of the year some races he couldnt do it because of the walk from the grid to the commentary box, that said canada where itv in the past skipped the grid walk martin did one. so no idea what they are playing at.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2934230)   #500
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20393 signatures now

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky