Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2970035)   #501
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think so... The race is billed as the Chevrolet Sportscar Challenge and there's a bit of a GA-lovefest going on at Chevy nowadays with the new Corvette-bodied-DPs and everything, so choosing GA might be more than just a stop-gap.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2970047)   #502
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it would've been called Chevrolet GP either way... not only because of ALMS presence but Chevrolet will be powering several Indycars as well.

If GA was always going to be there why did it take so long to announce the sportscar headliner...? Also, if ALMS is even claiming to push Detroit-comeback for 2013 I think the GA deal isn't very long-term...
Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2970056)   #503
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yup, Infineon would be high on my wish list along with Barber and Mont Tremblant, but unlike those two it's actually somewhat plausible option. They probably don't fancy having three races in California thou
Three races in Cali does seem a bit much, but it is a big state! I would also like to see Barber or Mont Tremlant.

Assuming Mr. Atherton was correct in saying 3 venues were vying for 2 schedule spots, what other options are there? A street race in OKC, VIR, Miller, Austin?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2970061)   #504
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That planned Oklahoma street race isn't due until 2013 I believe...

I hope that the absence of Detroit doesn't mean that one of the TBA slots mysteriously disapperas now.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2970080)   #505
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also, if someone thinks the terrain between Austin and Miller is similar they have obviously never visited Austin before, the circuit will have plenty of elevation and (gasp) unlike Detroit may have more than 1 passing zone. Having been to both Austin and Detroit in the past Six years, Austin is a significantly more vibrant city, particularly at night, unless your idea of *vibrant* is shooting, although Belle Isle itself is not too bad. Id rather go to a circuit with the world's biggest car racing series (even though Im not a fan of it), the world's biggest motorcycle racing series, and one of the best (most action packed imo) touring car series than a circuit with a struggling open wheel series and an SCCA championship.

Despite this, Im betting Grand Am will get an Austin race in the future.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2970081)   #506
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Whatever

As predicted, the reason for ALMS's absence is (officially) the date clash with the test day... however Atherton claims on Autosport that this should be "resolved" for 2013.

GA was probably always going to be the back-up plan.
Which means whatever he says is probably not going to happen.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2970097)   #507
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was looking at the 2012 schedule again, and the May/June TBA date has the following possibilities:

May 5th - one week before Laguna
May 19th - one week after Laguna
May 26th - two weeks after Laguna
June 2nd - out because of test day and after they won't likely happen because it would be too close to Le Mans.

The September TBA date is more wide open with Baltimore wrapping up on the 1st of Sept and Petit not taking place until Oct 20.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2970098)   #508
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sonoma is the 3rd track looking for a race date.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2970120)   #509
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
new news: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...troit-in-2013/

ALMS confirms that they want to return to Detroit (since IRL is coming back next year), but they can't next year because of that Le Mans testing conflict. So they're pushing for 2013. Another article says that Grand-Am wants to do Belle Isle too.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2970122)   #510
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Yup, Infineon would be high on my wish list along with Barber and Mont Tremblant, but unlike those two it's actually somewhat plausible option. They probably don't fancy having three races in California thou
3 races in CA? Have I missed something? What other track then Laguna?

3 races in CA sounds good to me

Cheers
Old 12 Oct 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2970144)   #511
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
3 races in CA? Have I missed something? What other track then Laguna?

3 races in CA sounds good to me

Cheers
Long Beach
Old 12 Oct 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2970183)   #512
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada was also rumored to be vying for one of the TBD slots. Haven´t got a clue what the weather is like over there in September (or May/June for that matter but I guess it´s a little better then).
Old 12 Oct 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2970189)   #513
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be anything. Edmonton is a good ways from the mountains, at least, so it's not quite as erratic as Calgary or points SW from recollection, but Alberta is pretty bonkers when it comes to weather. In either spring or fall it's totally plausible to get either a bit of snow, balmy tropical conditions or anything in between! Actually this could go for summer or winter too...
Old 13 Oct 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2970211)   #514
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Sonoma is the 3rd track looking for a race date.
No, it's not, AFAIK.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2970238)   #515
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Could be anything. Edmonton is a good ways from the mountains, at least, so it's not quite as erratic as Calgary or points SW from recollection, but Alberta is pretty bonkers when it comes to weather. In either spring or fall it's totally plausible to get either a bit of snow, balmy tropical conditions or anything in between! Actually this could go for summer or winter too...
And it all changes in a matter of hours... Septembers have been good the past couple of years. It was 30C two days before I left for Petit this year.
I really doubt this race will happen but it would be fantastic as the next closest race for us is Laguna Seca!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2970301)   #516
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Whatever

As predicted, the reason for ALMS's absence is (officially) the date clash with the test day... however Atherton claims on Autosport that this should be "resolved" for 2013.

GA was probably always going to be the back-up plan.
Maybe - but it wasn't rocket science to know that the ALMS would struggle to be there when they picked the June date was it?
Old 13 Oct 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2970546)   #517
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What , they have picked a date in June ? ..... Your kidding !!!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2970554)   #518
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I hope that the absence of Detroit doesn't mean that one of the TBA slots mysteriously disapperas now.
Called it back on page 28. I would file TBDs in the 2012 schedule in the same file as 5-6 LMP1 cars in 2011.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2970725)   #519
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Called it back on page 28. I would file TBDs in the 2012 schedule in the same file as 5-6 LMP1 cars in 2011.
So, as someone else said, TBD = To Be Deleted?

Are there any prospects for an IRL race at Houston's Reliant Park in 2012? Could that have any relevance?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2970862)   #520
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just in case anyone's still not sure of the decision, here's a story link
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/13/a...%28Autoblog%29
They'll fiddle around with the Le Mans test date in 2013 to hold the Belle Island Grand Prix.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2971210)   #521
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Atherton's interview on Bloomberg (more on that in the media thread), Atherton says two factory backed programs are under development for the ALMS in 2012. One will be there at the start of the season and the other will join midway through. I suppose the start of the year one could be Aston Martin with the Lola-V12. It could also be Lotus, but that has already been announced so I don't know why he would be secretive about that. As for the middle of the season one, I don't know. Lotus again? Possibly Viper?

And, yes, I do realize that "Atherton says..." means virtually nothing.

http://www.bloomberg.com/tv/shows/bloomberg-enterprise (Around the 18 minute mark).
Old 14 Oct 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2971219)   #522
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Just in case anyone's still not sure of the decision, here's a story link
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/13/a...%28Autoblog%29
They'll fiddle around with the Le Mans test date in 2013 to hold the Belle Island Grand Prix.
The question is, how much substance there is to that ALMS-PR... a lot of people seem to think it's only spin/damage control...
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2971435)   #523
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I guess there is a real possibility that with the full blown large factory efforts heading for WEC programmes teams such as Rebellion & AMR could head to ALMS. Who knows - maybe Nissan and Honda will follow as speculated in DSC
Old 15 Oct 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2971438)   #524
gregtummer
Veteran

At Petit Le Mans, I specifically asked the Aston Martin crew if their car was obsolete next year.

They said it is in WEC, but they were not sure for ALMS.

I asked them if it was allowed in ALMS (which now it is) if they would enter, and they said that they hope so.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2971483)   #525
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
At Petit Le Mans, I specifically asked the Aston Martin crew if their car was obsolete next year.

They said it is in WEC, but they were not sure for ALMS.

I asked them if it was allowed in ALMS (which now it is) if they would enter, and they said that they hope so.
My understanding is that Aston Martin will run 2 factory GTE in WEC.

Ben