Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 May 2015, 20:14 (Ref:3535626)   #5676
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
If you read on in the article, Hitzinger explains that he wanted to race the first two races with a package that is not far from the Le Mans package in order to test its structure (among other things). The closer it is to the Le Mans package the better.
It's a bizarre statement. It's not as if Porsche suddenly don't know how to make tough bodywork they've been doing it on the 911's and the RS Psyders for years...I think that comment was more of a "just say something that makes it sound like we had a plan". The reality is Porsche spent a lot of time on the hybrid powertrain and probably didn't leave much room for aero development.

Last edited by Articus; 8 May 2015 at 20:25.
Old 8 May 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3535633)   #5677
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I'm sure they are just a bunch of idiots wondering around Weissach with no real plan and and just concentrating on one particular item as more than 230 people on the program are not capable of multi-tasking. Also- why use the new state-of-the -art Wind tunnel facilities at Porsche? It would just be a waste of time.
Old 8 May 2015, 20:34 (Ref:3535634)   #5678
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I'm sure they are just a bunch of idiots wondering around Weissach with no real plan and and just concentrating on one particular item as more than 230 people on the program are not capable of multi-tasking. Also- why use the new state-of-the -art Wind tunnel facilities at Porsche. It would really be a waste of time.
hahaha don't be so pessimistic!

Jokes aside, maybe I should rephrase. I don't mean they don't know what they're doing. Much like Toyota, they DO (and no sarcasm intended in that). These are engineering companies smart people. But what I'm saying was aero development was not the outright focus this year clearly in comparison to Audi who came out and said it, they wanted to find gains in the aero. Porsche seems focused on the powertrain (much like Puegeot) and it's paying off in it's own way.
Old 8 May 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3535638)   #5679
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad
"He explained that Porsche had undertaken the opening rounds of the WEC at Silverstone and Spa with an aero package that will not be easily distinguishable from the as-yet-unseen Le Mans-spec bodywork to be used in next month's 24 Hours."

Doesn't this mean the LM package will be different to the one from Silverstone and Spa??
Yes, the Le Mans aero will be different to what has been used in the opening two rounds of the championship. It does however seem that post Le Mans we will be able to distinguish more of an aero difference. My hunch is that Porsche are willing to sacrifice some downforce for top-end at circuit La Sarthe.
To me it seems to say that Porsche run the 2 first salvos with a relative *Low Downforce* config, and so the real LM pack wont be easily distinguishible ( of course a little 'less wing' is very easy to guess). So Porsche doesn't seem to have much more HD to sacrifice... and even if they did it wouldn't it aggravate the tire issues ? (don't know if worted)

Its all about balances and tradeoffs... Porsche as the advantage of 8MJ which is quite relevant, and tire grip which is superb(the best). Tire degradation the worst handicap. I don't think they will be able or willing or needing to re-balance everything up to perfection for LM ( there never is perfection), as it is its already pretty much LM... else there wouldn't be tradeoffs, and there are always tradeoffs.
Old 9 May 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3535864)   #5680
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Imagine this:
Old 9 May 2015, 16:19 (Ref:3535865)   #5681
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Imagine this:
410+ kph down the Mulsanne on full boost?
Old 9 May 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3535867)   #5682
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No. What it means is that the current one is not that different to the Le Mans package.
Didn't they do the same thing last year? Their package for Spa and Silverstone was already good and likely to be further optimized for Le Mans, not a bad strategy IMO.
Old 9 May 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3535870)   #5683
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes. They did the same last year.
Old 9 May 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3535905)   #5684
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Imagine this:
Clearly 'illegal' ... it would exceed by large margin the 'overhang' limits of the rules
Old 9 May 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3535906)   #5685
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Illegal, but stunning!
Old 9 May 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3535907)   #5686
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
BTW- I heard that they will slow down the LMP1's after Le Mans. If true it is a disgrace and very sad.
Old 9 May 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3535914)   #5687
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that the ACO should do anything like that until the end of the season, and they should also slow the LMP2 and GT cars by a similar percentage.

Could partially explain the test in July at the Nurburgring GP circuit though.
Old 9 May 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3535926)   #5688
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't think that the ACO should do anything like that until the end of the season, and they should also slow the LMP2 and GT cars by a similar percentage.

I heard they will speed up GTE and LMP2 a little in 2016 (from the same source)
Old 9 May 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3535934)   #5689
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
BTW- I heard that they will slow down the LMP1's after Le Mans. If true it is a disgrace and very sad.
Why do they always have to ruin things?
Old 9 May 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3535936)   #5690
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Please stick to the topic of this thread. If you worry about the ACO and FIA nerfing the lmp1´s go on twitter and show you worries to them. Maybe with enough complains the will think twice. If you want to discuss the future rules there is a thread specifically made for that. We are living on the very best of sports car racing. Let us enjoy de present.
Old 9 May 2015, 20:15 (Ref:3535949)   #5691
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Please stick to the topic of this thread. If you worry about the ACO and FIA nerfing the lmp1´s go on twitter and show you worries to them. Maybe with enough complains the will think twice. If you want to discuss the future rules there is a thread specifically made for that. We are living on the very best of sports car racing. Let us enjoy de present.
Lol. Forgive me! Throughout the years I've followed motorsport, which is a few decades, rule changes can have a fundamental affect on a team/car/driver and this ACO/FIA rule change may very well affect Porsche and their LMP1 campaign. Last time I looked wasn't this thread about Porsche LMP1?

I don't use twitter, but you can if you want; don't let me stop you .
Old 9 May 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3535967)   #5692
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

It depends... if the old record of the diesels into the 3.18 is broken, they will slow them down, perhaps considerably... if not perhaps we will get another try next year ( and Audi better not try to be the one... better forget qualifying... or Toyota doesn't have to complain a bit for a heavy hand coming(remember Silverstone))...

[ OTOH perhaps Audi will not try... if its Porsche doing it, the VAG will gain the record from Peugeot PSA, most probably they will be happy... and will not object cuts]

No, its not conspiracy, oil business interests will gain clearly IMO (preserve the status quo, not having any momentous of pesky super economic things into 'sport' car categories, specially road going-> the more the liters of fuel sold the merrier for business)... also a prejudice is much harder to break than the head who has them...
Old 9 May 2015, 21:42 (Ref:3535978)   #5693
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
lol... AFAIK motorsport has always been dirtied by pesky politics... its based on several industry business interests... and its not only in endurance, in F1 for its part, since it gained very wide visibility from the time of Ayrton Senna vs Prost duels has became clearly disgusting...

Some remarks into politics don't derail threads i think... and you can complain how much you like about politics to anyone you want( as you mention)... to see if that helps LOL...

So in this context, what everyone is in great expectation to see is if Porsche can really break the records of this format of La Sathre circuit ... ppl will rejoice, applaud, remember, re-watch videos etc if they do... but yes or no, what will pass next will be 'politics' i asure you.
Old 9 May 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3535981)   #5694
Articus
Veteran

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/j...-go-at-le-mans

3:15 is the number at which apparently ACO will step in. Drivers anonymous saying 3:14 possible)
Old 10 May 2015, 04:39 (Ref:3536019)   #5695
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
My source is one of the "gentlemen" drivers. Apparently GT drivers have complained about the speed of the LMP1's saying that they have to spend too much time looking into their mirrors.
Whilst I have some sympathy for their plight, surely there must be another solution other than castration.
Old 10 May 2015, 04:49 (Ref:3536020)   #5696
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
It depends... if the old record of the diesels into the 3.18 is broken, they will slow them down, perhaps considerably... if not perhaps we will get another try next year ( and Audi better not try to be the one... better forget qualifying... or Toyota doesn't have to complain a bit for a heavy hand coming(remember Silverstone))...

[ OTOH perhaps Audi will not try... if its Porsche doing it, the VAG will gain the record from Peugeot PSA, most probably they will be happy... and will not object cuts]

No, its not conspiracy, oil business interests will gain clearly IMO (preserve the status quo, not having any momentous of pesky super economic things into 'sport' car categories, specially road going-> the more the liters of fuel sold the merrier for business)... also a prejudice is much harder to break than the head who has them...
"oil business"? Is diesel made and marketed by the wheat business?
Old 10 May 2015, 05:06 (Ref:3536023)   #5697
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Porsche doing its last test before Le Mans , in Aragon starting tomorrow.
Old 10 May 2015, 06:29 (Ref:3536028)   #5698
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I thought you guys might enjoy this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_M...ature=youtu.be
Old 10 May 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3536032)   #5699
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They shouldn't slow the P1 cars down. But GT cars are super underpowered. It is not normal for the race version of the 458 to have more than 100bhp less than the street car, and rev to just 6500rpm.

The ideal solution for me is to give GT cars a lot more power, and to merge the P1-L and P2 into one class. It is kind of funny that both P2 and GT cars struggle to hit 300kph on the fastest circuit in the world.
Old 10 May 2015, 08:24 (Ref:3536038)   #5700
hcl123
Veteran

And why not open LMP2 and GT to diesel...

* And open engine tech for every class like for LMP1, regulated by fuel allocation with exact the same MJ/lap of the corresponding fuel ... and corresponding fuel tanks capacity to the fuel energy,

[everybody stops at determined distances windows for fuel... other stops must go directly into garage]

* weights much more close between classes,

* hybrid categories of 3, 5, 7, 9 MJ for diesel, technology factor resolved in the hybrid energy not fuel, 1.15 ( much more real related to diff efficiency between petrol vs diesel) in favor of petrol or 15% instead of the 7,7% now, so 3.45, 5.75, 8.1, 10.35 MJ for petrol

* LMP2 mandatory fixed in the 1th hybrid category ( 3 or 3,45 MJ) but less weight than LMP1

* LMP3 exclusive petrol and non hybrid ( like today LMP2)

* Supercar GT with the same rules of LMP1 only a little more weight( so we could have the 'hybrid' versions of the McLarens P1 Ferrari F50 and Bugatti Veyrons)... perhaps we could have a supercar winning overall

* GTE Pro class as now it could be hybrid or not but not above 1th hybrid category... and less weight.

( the rest would be too slow to even show up...)

Last edited by hcl123; 10 May 2015 at 08:42.