Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 May 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3901013)   #551
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Shame that Bennett appears to have built his suspension out of fudge, that Mini sounds good and has shown some reasonable pace (not enough for finals, but good enough for a semi
That car is running a Pipo engine, so it should have some grunt. As I have said before I admire his enthusiasm, but I don't agree with his approach.
Old 1 May 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3901019)   #552
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well any grunt is good. I think you need enthusiasm in the series, although the wrong approach will make things harder for you
Old 1 May 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3901032)   #553
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see Bennett have a go in his Fiesta, to see how he gets on with a proven car. The Mini is quick off of the line, seems to break far too easily though.
Old 1 May 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3901035)   #554
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
I'd like to see Bennett have a go in his Fiesta, to see how he gets on with a proven car. The Mini is quick off of the line, seems to break far too easily though.
Exactly. Chris Hoy finished higher than Bennett in the intermediate standings last weekend using the Fiesta and I am certain Hoy wasn't faster, it was just that the car was lasting.

A year or two driving the Fiesta in the Euros (with some extra World rounds thrown in) would have been a better approach to me. That MINI has seemed to be a work-in-progress car for a year now.
Old 1 May 2019, 19:13 (Ref:3901064)   #555
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe if he ran the Mini in the British championship, where you could still make the final with only one heat finish, and use the Fiesta in ERX/ WRX to develop himself, the progress Oli has made has been quite impressive.
Old 1 May 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3901091)   #556
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a reason why all the top teams like JRM ad Prodrive dropped the Mini, hence why they are having issues now, it is stupid t run it, he is a marketing man, so that is probably why, looks great in PR, but in reality I have no idea how this kid has the money to run a WRX campaign and two WRX cars in the first place, all seeming to be run by his mates!!

But I guess he must be made of it!
Old 2 May 2019, 08:24 (Ref:3901140)   #557
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
There is a reason why all the top teams like JRM ad Prodrive dropped the Mini, hence why they are having issues now
I would disagree with you with regards to the MINI; the Prodrive project was based around the Countryman and, although I thought it looked like a brick, the general consensus seemed to be that the car handled really well. Liam Doran and Guy Wilks both got some results out of the car. It's just a shame that JRM seemed completely lost with the car.

Oliver Bennett is using a "normal" MINI and, on paper at least, I can't see why it would be any less effective than the other current Supercars: it has very similar dimensions to the Fiesta, Peugeot 208 and Audi S1 all of which are proven platform. With the right bits in it (which Bennett seems to be able to afford) and a competent team to nail it all together I can't see why it shouldn't work.

I guess he has opted for the World Championship as it is the biggest platform for promoting his company (Xite), but I would question if running at the back of the field and/or frequently retiring is the best way to show your brand off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Maybe if he ran the Mini in the British championship, where you could still make the final with only one heat finish, and use the Fiesta in ERX/ WRX to develop himself, the progress Oli has made has been quite impressive.
Spot on. I definitely think Bennett has made progress (his drive at Silverstone at the end of last year seemed proof of that), but I can't help but think he has hindered his progress by using the unproven MINI.
Old 2 May 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3901149)   #558
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Mini is an ok car, but did they develop it enough? Certainly the teams didn't seem to. To be fair the top drivers have managed to extract something out of it.

But against the cars that have been there longer and more successful it's been tough. Bennett maybe went into the series to get more exposure and because he didn't fancy getting a ride lower down

He's certainly not a bad driver, as some progress has been made, but couldn't have picked a worse car
Old 2 May 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3901151)   #559
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Especially when you’re in a field of cars which are sponsored by competitors to your brand.

Although on reflection I guess that exposure at the back of a WRX grid is still way more than BRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 May 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3901167)   #560
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Either way, the Mini was proven to be not a great car, it was never developed properly so why a guy with no previous experience and a team full of kids it seems, think he could sort it?

I can't imagine it is that different, probably just a reshell, or maybe foolishly he has built this from scratch!!

They might, obviously.
Old 2 May 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3901201)   #561
S griffin
Veteran

No it hasn’t. Maybe it was the best he could do, but it seems to be badly organised. At least he is giving it a go. There’s got to be a logical reason behind this, I am sure.
Old 8 May 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3902666)   #562
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I can't imagine it is that different, probably just a reshell, or maybe foolishly he has built this from scratch!!
The Xite MINI? Pretty sure that was a fresh build, there were a couple of videos of it going together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ec4C6a02FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_upIxJgb-E

Couple of bits of news with regards to Spa. Firstly Baciuska won't be driving the ES Motorsport Fabia, Francois Duval will:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/a...t--duval-in-at

Secondly - and more significant news I'd say - Niclas Gronholm won't be driving this weekend due to an appendicitis operation:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/a...ut-for-belgium

Real shame for the Championship, as the Hansen duo are sure to leap ahead in the points. Joni Wiman will collect team points instead.
Old 8 May 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3902668)   #563
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But don't forget Demoustier is back! Seriously though, the banking looks so good and hopefully it's even better than NitroRX last year. Looking forward to this event. I'm not much of a betting man but I reckon the Hansens will have a real tough time on this fast and short circuit.
Old 8 May 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3902689)   #564
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
There is a long post from Rokas Baciuska on Facebook which (according to Google translate) says that he was "forced to cut the relationship with the team".

Rokas is permanently done with ES Motorsport then and not just missing out at Spa?
Old 8 May 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3902704)   #565
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Mini looks much better than the old big Mini...
Old 9 May 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3902845)   #566
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
There is a long post from Rokas Baciuska on Facebook which (according to Google translate) says that he was "forced to cut the relationship with the team".

Rokas is permanently done with ES Motorsport then and not just missing out at Spa?
The same post was translated to English by himself. But yeah, something happened and he was very disappointed about it.
Old 11 May 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3903138)   #567
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
https://youtu.be/gXXj6QkYdU4?t=1807

What do we think of the track?

The Eau Rouge part isn't spectaculair like it is in GT's, F1, etc.
I like the wide gravel parts.
Old 11 May 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3903149)   #568
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Eau Rouge doesn't really look any different to the uphill climb at any elevated circuit to me but, that said, I am really enjoying Spa so far. Decent dirt section with enough space for passing and some unpredictable racing.

Great to see some different names at the top of the standings: this is what I had been hoping for this season.
Old 11 May 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3903160)   #569
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
https://youtu.be/gXXj6QkYdU4?t=1807

What do we think of the track?

The Eau Rouge part isn't spectaculair like it is in GT's, F1, etc.
I like the wide gravel parts.
Eau rouge was never going to be spectacular because it takes high speed for it to be so. At least they have used it.
Gravel is good and wide and the rain makes it interesting should be interesting tomorrow
Old 11 May 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3903165)   #570
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liam Doran must be as high as a kite to be faster than Andreas Bakkerud after the first day.

Hope he sails away in to the final.
Old 11 May 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3903173)   #571
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be great to see him in the final.

I think the track is good but the hairpin could have been 150m higher up Eau Rouge/Radillon to get a bit more speed and invite a lunge.
Old 12 May 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3903255)   #572
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't had a good chance to watch properly, but looks like a decent circuit!
Old 12 May 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3903280)   #573
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else think the main circuit looks like Lydden Hill running backwards?
Old 12 May 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3903289)   #574
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Eau rouge was never going to be spectacular because it takes high speed for it to be so. At least they have used it.
When they announced the track it was promised it would be spectaculair.

Last edited by FIRE; 12 May 2019 at 11:36.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3903291)   #575
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some really good racing in Q3 and 4 today now that it's dry.