Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Feb 2019, 06:30 (Ref:3881999)   #576
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The news item regarding drugs being found in trucks is several years old, apparently. Came to light because the team owner just been banned for 8yrs from sport after refusing to be tested for..... drugs.

Question- if Nissan don’t get the £80 million government incentive because they’re not building the X-trail here, that’s £80 million extra we can put into the NHS, isn’t it?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3882002)   #577
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed and why not?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3882005)   #578
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed and why not?
So government finance really is that simple?

I'm sure not Brexit related, in which case poor timing, but the HMRC 'Make Tax Digital' change comes in on April 1st. Maybe the date is appropriate....

Even though who knows how many of us have been submitting VAT and PA returns electronically for years; now new, new version or updated software will be needed, and registering for MTD with HMRC, even though already registered with them. Sure nothing will go wrong.....
Old 5 Feb 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3882006)   #579
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On the money point. Yes finances aren't simple but then again if there's some money going spare it could be put to good use. Hence why not?

What we appear to be seeing is, albeit late, answers to the questions posed originally in this thread. Border issues are being dealt with, visa-less travel has been resolved and all we need now is for roaming charges to remain unchanged; then all the issues the remain camp had will be solved.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3882010)   #580
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Although we’ve had the announcement that EU imports won’t have to be declared on arrival here until the next day, and for a limited not yet decided period, has there been a reciprocal announcement from EU?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3882012)   #581
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm sure the resolutions will come through since someone sensible seems to be making the decisions at the moment. There will obviously be further tuning but the issue of closed borders does appear to be diminishing.

And that is possibly the point.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3882020)   #582
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Clearly someone in charge has been reading this thread and picking up ideas. Not stopping lorries is good sense, and the year's grace gives us plenty of time to negotiate re-entry into the EU I'm convinced that's what the majority of Parliament wants and so that's what we'll get.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Feb 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3882023)   #583
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Common sense will prevail I hope. If a fair agreement was found later on why not negotiate step by step? Wouldn't this bring all of us back to what should have been done first? Done or kept.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3882025)   #584
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah, you mean the European Economic Community? I don't believe anyone could dislike that.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3882026)   #585
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jawohl, ein Jubelnder Fortschritt in other words …
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3882029)   #586
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is very, very simplistic but I've often thought if we currently allow EU goods into this country 'unchecked' (again simplistic) why should it be any different after 29th March? Going the other way they may have a different view of course.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3882036)   #587
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I know this is very, very simplistic but I've often thought if we currently allow EU goods into this country 'unchecked' (again simplistic) why should it be any different after 29th March? Going the other way they may have a different view of course.
They’re unchecked at the moment because we’re part of the Union. But I totally see what you’re saying!

As we’ve said before, the last thing Calais and Dunkirk will want is congestion at the port, so I’m sure common sense will reign there. Hopefully it will apply to other French ports, and Spanish ones!

There was a bit on TV the other night showing the work going on at Dublin port ready for border control and custom checks if needed. ££££££....... link here- https://www.ft.com/content/1794919c-...6-b9ccc4c4dbbb

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 Feb 2019 at 10:09.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3882048)   #588
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Question- if Nissan don’t get the £80 million government incentive because they’re not building the X-trail here, that’s £80 million extra we can put into the NHS, isn’t it?
But the Nissan £61 million (the number I have seen reported but probably not allowing for natural "administrative" inflation) would, in theory, create jobs and products that should generate some form of taxation - so the lender gets the money back in some ways - by personal tax, NI, VAT, etc., etc. as well as not having to fund 780 people (or whatever the estimated number of jobs was directly at Nissan not allowing for more jobs at suppliers) who might otherwise be out of work.

Of course this assumes that the the job count accounting was not just churning jobs form the production of one model to the the production of another. In other words there had to be an increase of some sort of capacity at the plant.

And of course the handout could be seen and marketed in the North East as regional support.

Toss £61 million into the NHS and and watch it disappear as would a small ice cube in a vat of boiling water.

The problem with the NHS, in my opinion, is that it is no longer the service that it was intended to be - basic HEALTH care to keep the qualifying population in decent working order no matter how poor they might be.

Even in that form the economics were marginal in the long term but at least there was some potential to think of it as an investment in maintaining a healthy workforce alongside the elimination of city slums and the generation of healthier living accommodation intended to enhance the productivity of the nation as a whole.

Many of the more costly "health interventions" on offer these days are far removed from the original concept and funding them on NHS terms is, in my opinion, morally questionable.

One has to wonder about the NHS's business management capability as well - but that's another story. I am completely sure they would find some way of rapidly deploying £61M in a way that would not be in any way visible to the (non-paying) clients.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3882050)   #589
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Even though who knows how many of us have been submitting VAT and PA returns electronically for years; now new, new version or updated software will be needed.....
MTD seems to be seen by many software providers as a good source of income, but there are some decently-priced options. We are using a simple, Excel-based spreadsheet that is HMRC-compliant as it provides the necessary digital link. Price £40.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3882053)   #590
tlracing
Rookie

not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the issue of clearance delays at the border is - from my experience at least - generally cause by Border Agency's archaic process for vat/duty.

Most large courier companies (UPS, FedEx, etc.) use electronic on-the-fly clearance so the calculations are done through a virtual portal at the same time as packages are travelling and a bill arrives either with, or after, delivery. Result? No delays.

If the same package were to be sent so that, for example, Parcelforce was the UK delivery agent, then it has to go from them to Border Agency; this is only done once the package has arrived in the UK. Result? Delays.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3882054)   #591
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
True.

The basis of "unchecked" is that the goods are being produced to known standards and if coming with the correct paperwork from accredited sources signed off by accredited checking, testing and monitoring "Authorities" then there is no need to re-check them.

Thus horse meat never enters the food chain masquerading as beef, for example. And all eggs wherever they originate will be fresh and pure and free of any nastiness. And the tomatoes will have been well washed to remove any pesticide residue.

(I have nothing against horse meat, btw. Pretty sure we had some on a trip through France at least once. The texture and taste of the "steak" was very good and the price incredibly low for the size of the meal.)

Of course the agreement on standards might be susceptible to 'lapses' when the goods are being shipped outside the zone to which the agreement legally applies. I mean, you have to try to get rid of the crap somewhere, right? Where better than somewhere that is not part of the regulatory regime (so there is no immediate and direct comeback for the poor quality) and does no checking of its own on import?

Perfect.

Going the other way the recipients would most likely have the same concerns. However they would know that the products do not have certified standards since the accreditation of the existing certification authorities lapses on exit. Thus even if the suppliers can reasonable claim to be offering the same standards of goods and produce and provably deny that they are dumping rubbish, there is no certification authority legally empowered to authorise such a claim.

Now one could just assume, as might the UK in the other direction, that the required standards are being upheld ... but would that be wise? Why have rules of trade if you are simply going to allow them to be broken?

It would be relatively easy to avoid congestion at the ports by tracking vehicles and having checks before offloading or at the point of offloading but that gets a tad expensive all round and may therefore adversely affect competitiveness.

So do we get a lot of empty trucks leaving the UK for Europe?

If not, does the potential for trucks to be held up while their UK to Europe cargos are checked mean that a larger fleet of trucks (or at least trailers) would be required? More drivers too?

There are so many opportunities to play games with the system and bureaucrats in 'Brussels' seems to like playing games just as much as our party politicians. They are, however, better games players and much more focused on a collective result even they do fight like rats in a sack within their own empires.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 12:04 (Ref:3882066)   #592
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlracing View Post
MTD seems to be seen by many software providers as a good source of income, but there are some decently-priced options. We are using a simple, Excel-based spreadsheet that is HMRC-compliant as it provides the necessary digital link. Price £40.
Thanks. My software is cloud based and subscription, so will be automatically updated. The other software I use for a different business (not mine) just needs the latest version installing, which is in hand. Then when given the go ahead by HMRC, we can see if it works!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3882118)   #593
tlracing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Of course the agreement on standards might be susceptible to 'lapses' when the goods are being shipped outside the zone to which the agreement legally applies. I mean, you have to try to get rid of the crap somewhere, right? Where better than somewhere that is not part of the regulatory regime (so there is no immediate and direct comeback for the poor quality) and does no checking of its own on import?
The other possible side to this is, post-Brexit, the UK will have no obligation to accept goods that have received certification within the EU; thus should anything suspect arrive, there is a greater potential for it to be stopped, examined and returned.

Maybe that might act as a disincentive to dump?
Old 6 Feb 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3882280)   #594
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Hoooo, bad luck for our president, Brussels refuse the join venture between Siemens and Astom. I almost made pee in my pants! Enough for a Frexit? Au train où vont les choses… May be Sushi Carlos will find an appropriate solution… Saké on the house!
Old 6 Feb 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3882282)   #595
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
True.

The basis of "unchecked" is that the goods are being produced to known standards and if coming with the correct paperwork from accredited sources signed off by accredited checking, testing and monitoring "Authorities" then there is no need to re-check them.

(and a lot more)

There are so many opportunities to play games with the system and bureaucrats in 'Brussels' seems to like playing games just as much as our party politicians. They are, however, better games players and much more focused on a collective result even they do fight like rats in a sack within their own empires.

I think the points Grant makes reinforce my view that most of the whole EU (and indeed worldwide) trade restrictions are largely created for and by bureaucracy. Obviously if we are selling goods to country "X" the goods have to comply by the standards of that country, whether we have a trade agreement with them or not, or are within the same customs union. Since it is (and always has been) impractical to conduct an individual check on every item crossing a border, huge amounts are taken on trust - and in reality there is no need for this to change. Declaration of commercial goods traffic and any liability to duty can easily be arranged electronically. Any physical checks undertaken are by and large symbolic - we have some of these now and yet counterfeit goods and illegal immigrants still arrive, but somehow since the bureaucrats are happy all is well........
Old 6 Feb 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3882287)   #596
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh! Dear, all of us who voted to leave the EU have a corner of Hell reserved for us! Mr Tusker has said so, and being a Big Panjandrum in the EU must be believed.

Condemned to eternal life in Hell has one consolation. We will be able to tell all the EU officials what we think of them …. as neighbours,
Old 6 Feb 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3882292)   #597
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least a politician for once has said something thats not dull/boring. He should have considered whether he might be eligible for hell?.On those comments he might need to consider it.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3882294)   #598
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think you'll find that Tusk is not a politician but a beaurocrat since he does not stand as a representative of an elected body.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 22:33 (Ref:3882305)   #599
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think you'll find that Tusk is not a politician but a beaurocrat since he does not stand as a representative of an elected body.
Yes I heard he represents the elected countries.Did some quick research and you could say hes both one former,one present.

I dont know much about politics(more than most I encounter hehe) but whats struck me is what an appaling job to me theyve done of it although any view wether right or wrong is good but I do think we have more pressing issues to deal with than this utter sham.I do feel strongly about what am referencing to but have not revealed as I've previously mentioned it.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 05:24 (Ref:3882329)   #600
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Oh! Dear, all of us who voted to leave the EU have a corner of Hell reserved for us!
At least we can count on warm winters for free. I've been told there is an euro competition for hells. Just between you and me, if you're looking for the real thing dont hesitate go for the German one. Why? Well, you know French, one day on strike, the other day have to leave early because the kids, the other day arrive late because trafic jam and so on…