Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Dec 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3487437)   #6126
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Wow, look how green Sonoma is right now!

What a difference a little rain makes!
It's usually green in the winter and turns brown towards the end of spring, right?
Old 23 Dec 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3487491)   #6127
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No matter what one may think of BOP, GT3 feels more honest in its approach to racing.
Oh no no no...

really? GT3 and BoP make a mockery of racing.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3487572)   #6128
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
It's usually green in the winter and turns brown towards the end of spring, right?
Yup same as laguna seca
Old 24 Dec 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3487616)   #6129
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Oh no no no...

really? GT3 and BoP make a mockery of racing.
In comparison with GTE, of course.
A once a season BOP in GT3 vs. waivers and continous BOP throughout the season in GTE.

And FWIW, BOP is used in almost all motorsport, either by having a very tight set of rules - wich IMO makes for dull racing, and could almost br considered as one-make racing - like F1, DTM or SuperGT (and can still mean that a single constructor can run away with the season), or by waivers of parts (mostly GTE), or restrictions in performance.

To me, the last version feels the most honest. After all, the organizers want to put on a show, and in our case, that means racing. No matter how artificial the racing is, racing is better than car trains and/or runaways.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3487650)   #6130
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lynx View Post

To me, the last version feels the most honest. After all, the organizers want to put on a show, and in our case, that means racing. No matter how artificial the racing is, racing is better than car trains and/or runaways.

There is nothing honest about GTE or GT3. It's all about arbitrary BoP.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3487740)   #6131
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
There is nothing honest about GTE or GT3. It's all about arbitrary BoP.
Can you point to any racing series that is not one-make (or has rules so tight that it basically is one-make, like F1, DTM or SuperGT), that does not utilize BOP?
Old 24 Dec 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3487756)   #6132
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can you point to any racing series that is not one-make (or has rules so tight that it basically is one-make, like F1, DTM or SuperGT), that does not utilize BOP?
Yeah, F1 is so basically one-make that cars have speed differences of up to four seconds.

LMP2 doesn't use BoP either (outside TUSC), at least for chassis, and currently allows for a great variety of cars.

LMP1 is debatable, but I think of the EoT more like a more elaborate version of the turbo/NA equivalence rules that series like F1 had for many years.

GT racing is different though, as they're based on road cars, so it's more difficult to imagine how a BoP-less version of GT racing would work. However I agree that GT3, unlike GTE, is at least honest about it.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3487763)   #6133
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
Yeah, F1 is so basically one-make that cars have speed differences of up to four seconds.

LMP2 doesn't use BoP either (outside TUSC), at least for chassis, and currently allows for a great variety of cars.

LMP1 is debatable, but I think of the EoT more like a more elaborate version of the turbo/NA equivalence rules that series like F1 had for many years.

GT racing is different though, as they're based on road cars, so it's more difficult to imagine how a BoP-less version of GT racing would work. However I agree that GT3, unlike GTE, is at least honest about it.
It would work like it did before the 21st century. One car would blow everyone else out of the water and everyone else wouldn't bother showing up after a time.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3487767)   #6134
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
GT3 is only set up the way it is because it was originally meant to match up existing cars built for single make series that never had anything like the same rules to start with. Otherwise the reason an endurance race used to have at least 3 or 3 GT classes was so that cars of different suitability levels could be grouped together where they'd be competitive instead of the inanity of a Viper racing a sports sedan or whatever.

GTE is fairly crippled. The class just barely works still but it's a house of cards. Even after ALMS started throwing in the challenge classes to fill fields there was still 16 GT2 cars at PLM, now there's only about half that because basically every single independent, privateer, or customer car has disappeared. It's a bit better in Europe but that's only because the factory Ferrari team has a seemingly infinite supply of rent-a-rides.

It's entirely possible that the next-gen rules obsolete the massive stock of 458s and the entire thing starts looking very thin.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3487785)   #6135
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's your opinion. I'd honestly rather see the best car/team/drivers combo win, even if that means you end up with a dominant car.

The way I see it, the problem isn't the racing but the risk of loosing too many makes.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3487823)   #6136
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
That's your opinion. I'd honestly rather see the best car/team/drivers combo win, even if that means you end up with a dominant car.

The way I see it, the problem isn't the racing but the risk of loosing too many makes.
That's fine(ish) in a class with a healthy base of customer teams, in a class that's almost exclusively run by factory teams you risk killing off the whole class...
Old 25 Dec 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3487846)   #6137
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably not the right Thread to put this wish but...

Let´s all pray that MAZDA will someday return to Le Mans... and with style like this :-)

http://www.gtplanet.net/mazda-lm55-v...pdate-for-gt6/
Old 25 Dec 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3487853)   #6138
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Mazda wants to get back since ages but they don't have budget enough for a competitive entry
Old 25 Dec 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3487862)   #6139
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Probably not the right Thread to put this wish but...

Let´s all pray that MAZDA will someday return to Le Mans... and with style like this :-)

http://www.gtplanet.net/mazda-lm55-v...pdate-for-gt6/
I've noticed that the height is slightly lower than the 787B. But still, it's sucks that Mazda won't be returning to Le Mans due to budget constraints.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3487863)   #6140
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is "BUDGET" what really matters?!?!?!?

Probably are other things too :-)
Old 25 Dec 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3487868)   #6141
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Is "BUDGET" what really matters?!?!?!?
Yes, mostly, I suspect.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3487871)   #6142
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, mostly, I suspect.
Mostly, but there are some more things that bother me...

If they go to Le Mans what would they be "selling" to costumers????

Technology? Yes, "SKYACTIV Technology" Fair enough. Audi do the same with TDI tech.

Flagship model´s??? Mazda don´t have right now. Nissan name is P1 contender GT-R like the road model, marketing strategy :-) possible hybrid tech in the future road model!!!!????

Global sales leadership? NO… that´s for Toyota and VW Group.

IMHO, right now their target should be P2 costumers promoting SKYACTIV… but in the future with a possible Flagship car or an alliance with other manufacture´s who knows!!
Old 25 Dec 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3487872)   #6143
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
What did Peugeot sell, though?

All of the things you mention applied to them as well - if not more so, having less of a sporty image than Mazda.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3487876)   #6144
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Last time they did "LMP" concept it didn't materialize into any racing plans and it was an actual physical car (Furai). Cheap attention grab tailored for gamers who worship the over-glorified 787B.

And wrong thread.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3487881)   #6145
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

All of the things you mention applied to them as well - if not more so, having less of a sporty image than Mazda.

Their Hybrid tech (Hybrid4) associated to Peugeot Sport road cars... i think :-)

Peugeot made a difficult choice, they need to fired allot of people and because of that they axe their LMP1 program.

I don´t know how they are right now (Finances) but i hope they will someday return to fight again :-)
Old 25 Dec 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3487883)   #6146
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mostly, but there are some more things that bother me...

If they go to Le Mans what would they be "selling" to costumers????

Technology? Yes, "SKYACTIV Technology" Fair enough. Audi do the same with TDI tech.

Flagship model´s??? Mazda don´t have right now. Nissan name is P1 contender GT-R like the road model, marketing strategy :-) possible hybrid tech in the future road model!!!!????

Global sales leadership? NO… that´s for Toyota and VW Group.

IMHO, right now their target should be P2 costumers promoting SKYACTIV… but in the future with a possible Flagship car or an alliance with other manufacture´s who knows!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

PSA want's to be a Global market leader, especially in China.
Peugeot pushed hard for the Chinese round to be held, to promote the brand in the Chinese market.
The same with the round in Brazil.
Peugeot too wanted to brand their Diesel technology. Let's not forget that VAG and PSA are building some of the best diesel car engines in the world. Other manufactures diesels are offsprings of PSA or VAG diesels, like Ford and Toyota.

So Peugeot had quite a lot to sell through their Le Mans projekt.
Quote:
Their Hybrid tech (Hybrid4) associated to Peugeot Sport road cars... i think :-)

Peugeot made a difficult choice, they need to fired allot of people and because of that they axe their LMP1 program.

I don´t know how they are right now (Finances) but i hope they will someday return to fight again :-)
Peugeot was forced by the government to axe the Le Mans program to get a bail-out from the government, so they wouldn't have to close one of their major factories in France. It was actually all political.

Finances in PSA is good since they sold a part to the Chinese. However the economy is bad, so I don't thing we should get our hopes up, just yet, however I do hope they return too, someday.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3487890)   #6147
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Hello CTD, after my post i talk with my cousin (he lives in France) and he told me almost the same you did.. that was a political decision.

The Global Economy, specially in Europe is not to good indeed, let´s hope better year´s to come.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3487891)   #6148
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IMHO, right now their target should be P2 costumers promoting SKYACTIV…
Diesel are not allowed in LMP2 in any other series but TUSCC
Old 25 Dec 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3487892)   #6149
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
Diesel are not allowed in LMP2 in any other series but TUSCC
Exacly, they should focus on the American Market , not WEC. They are still developing their package.
Old 25 Dec 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3487898)   #6150
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If Toyota can run on $75 million a year and win, Mazda can. Their sales are through the roof. They make enough money, its like Toyota's board being conservative on the lmp project.