Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2936886)   #601
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella View Post
b) introduce the free-to-air championship where points are only awarded for the relevant races
I think the rest of the world might think that is a little odd. Maybe even a little arrogant.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2936892)   #602
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Indeed. There seems to be some suggestion that F1 is on an even more slippery slope to oblivion than it was already (it's been doing that for a few years now, apparently), now that the BBC will only be broadcasting half of the races to people who were watching them all for nothing. People in countries that have always paid for the privilege of watching F1, will be wondering what all of the fuss is about.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2936899)   #603
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've followed F1 since 1988, and have watched pretty much every race transmitted live (can't remember when all races started going out live), and am hugely annoyed by this deal.

Three things bother me most,

a) Cost - an obvious comment, but £14.50 per month (Virgin) may be impossible to justify, given that I have no interest in other sports shown. You can also bet thet offerings will be split across Sky Sports 1, 2 etc.

b) Lack of continuity from race to race - different presentations, content and personnel may make championship disjointed to follow.

c) Commentary teams - this could make or break Skys success, not only with its own broadcasts but also tempting people 'in' from BBC. The BBC commentary / anchor team is (IMO) currently excellent, from Crofty on a Friday, through Brundles informed race commentary, to Eddie Jordans post race vortex of confusion, so I believe that both companies would be well advised to share this team.

I will wait and see how plans pan out before commiting my hard earned cash.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2936900)   #604
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Could you explain the 14.50 per month with Virgin please?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2936902)   #605
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Indeed. There seems to be some suggestion that F1 is on an even more slippery slope to oblivion than it was already (it's been doing that for a few years now, apparently), now that the BBC will only be broadcasting half of the races to people who were watching them all for nothing. People in countries that have always paid for the privilege of watching F1, will be wondering what all of the fuss is about.
I'll tell you what the fuss is about Marbot, those people probably dont have to already pay out for a service like we do with the BBC.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2936905)   #606
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Could you explain the 14.50 per month with Virgin please?
As per Virgn Media website - Sky Sports channels are classed as premium channels, so increase what I pay for my XL package by a further £14.50.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2936906)   #607
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I'll tell you what the fuss is about Marbot, those people probably dont have to already pay out for a service like we do with the BBC.
So you wouldn't be as annoyed if it were Sky taking over from ITV?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2936917)   #608
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I will have a closer look at my ATT U-Verse account and tell you what I pay in American $ each month and how it breaks down...
Old 7 Aug 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2936918)   #609
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
If you guys go to the link you can see how much NASCAR Speed TV airs..

http://www.racefantv.com/USTV.htm
Old 7 Aug 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2936961)   #610
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm watching Indycar on sky!
Old 7 Aug 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2936969)   #611
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm watching the golf on Sky!
Old 7 Aug 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2936971)   #612
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't know if this is allowed, but I'm watching Indycar on sky!
It was quite a good race.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2936999)   #613
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
This is the danger that F1 faces. People might actually start watching something else instead.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2937075)   #614
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This is the danger that F1 faces. People might actually start watching something else instead.
Or maybe we're only watching Indycar/Golf because F1 isn't on ?
Old 8 Aug 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2937085)   #615
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So you wouldn't be as annoyed if it were Sky taking over from ITV?
I think you're missing the point. I think this is a reference to the TV license, which has to be paid regardless of what channel you're watching. If people weren't already paying 145 quid a year to the treasury maybe some of the ire at having to pay more to Sky wouldn't be an issue. Do other countries have an equivalent?

Although in a way it could be a moot point: according to the wording the tv license is actually a tax on 'television receiving equipment'. The fact that the BBC receives an annual budget roughly the same as the income from this tax is apparently coincidence.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2937222)   #616
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence the list of countries that don't is not very long.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2937259)   #617
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence the list of countries that don't is not very long.
If that list is accurate, then compared to Austria €335.14, Denmark €303.35, Germany €204.36, Norway €315.57, Sweden €232.47, the UK's price of €174.99 isn't too bad.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2937260)   #618
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post

So the traditional 'heartland' countries of F1 viewing mostly pay for a TV licence of some sort.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2937460)   #619
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:

No they won't..
Old 9 Aug 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2937574)   #620
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure of the difference between F1 going to Sky, and other mediums. For instance, Autosport have had a lot to say on this matter, but to read what they say, you have to pay for the internet to view their "free" site & read titbits, but if you want a more in depth report about it, subscribe to their site, or pay for their magazine ( like paying for Sky ). Nothing in life is free, its a shame its leaving BBC, but if sky do for F1 what they've done for other sports, it may just be a good thing in the long run for everyone. At the end of the day, we all prioritise our own lives. If i think a month of sky is better than a night out ( cost about the same ), then i'll go for it, and stay in that 1 night. All in my opinion of course, others are entitled to theirs.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2937633)   #621
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I'm not sure of the difference between F1 going to Sky, and other mediums. For instance, Autosport have had a lot to say on this matter, but to read what they say, you have to pay for the internet to view their "free" site & read titbits, but if you want a more in depth report about it, subscribe to their site, or pay for their magazine ( like paying for Sky ). Nothing in life is free, its a shame its leaving BBC, but if sky do for F1 what they've done for other sports, it may just be a good thing in the long run for everyone. At the end of the day, we all prioritise our own lives. If i think a month of sky is better than a night out ( cost about the same ), then i'll go for it, and stay in that 1 night. All in my opinion of course, others are entitled to theirs.
Great post.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2937638)   #622
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
No they won't..
Whatever it is that Sky/BBC are doing, it certainly isn't conducive to adding more viewers to F1 in the UK.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2937866)   #623
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Whatever it is that Sky/BBC are doing, it certainly isn't conducive to adding more viewers to F1 in the UK.

I think you are right on the money here.
I used to watch a lot of cricket, then half the matches went off to pay TV and I did not follow. The result is that I began to miss a lot of the discussion and commentary that took place around the pay matches and I no longer new the nuances of what was going on around the national side.

The action then somehow began to feel incomplete, as I was missing half the matches, and now I no longer watch any cricket at all!

It is not something I have done deliberately, but it has represented the end of my involvement with a sport I both played as a kid and loved to idle away some time watching and listening to on TV, usually on in the background while I was doing something else, watch wickets fall etc.

Now I just really can't be bothered, I miss it, but it is just not the same!
Old 10 Aug 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2937910)   #624
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
So I pay for TV $79.91 per month for TV U-Verse 100 package which includes the Speed Channel..

For internet I pay $46.80 per month.

For my mobile with AT&T I pay $100.00 per month..
Old 10 Aug 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2938012)   #625
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
So I pay for TV $79.91 per month for TV U-Verse 100 package which includes the Speed Channel..

For internet I pay $46.80 per month.

For my mobile with AT&T I pay $100.00 per month..
You must have too much money Or none left at all

Well your TV package works out about roughly £50, not bad, i pay £72 (although that is Sky multiroom and HD), thats on top of the annual TV licence. (£145.50 per year)

I have you on the internet, you pay £29, i pay £8, although i have to pay my phone line rental (£12 per month i think???)

I also have you on mobile, you pay £61.50, i pay £10, although, admittedly, i have no internet access on that.

Tags
outrage, sky