Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Oct 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3159662)   #601
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You might be right but it is a leap of faith to think any one of these morons is smart enough to pull something like that off. They can't even fire someone properly.
Tony is being invited back by Mama Hulman who feels guilty and wants to kiss and make up with her boy.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3159665)   #602
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's a very scathing article and I can't find myself disagreeing with Robin Miller.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3159674)   #603
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Curt Cavin and Peter M. De Lorenzo's articles suggest this has nothing to do with Tony George.

George was not on Cavin's list of possible candidates. De Lorenzo indicated good things could be coming.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ho-might-next-

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/
Old 29 Oct 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3159685)   #604
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Both Curt Cavin and Peter M. De Lorenzo's articles suggest this has nothing to do with Tony George.

George was not on Cavin's list of possible candidates. De Lorenzo indicated good things could be coming.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ho-might-next-

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/
Out of all the possibilities on Cavin's list Scott Atherton looks to have the best background.

So some Motor City grandee says, "good things are to come in IndyCar, stay tuned." Are we going to see a return of cars like this, as featured at the bottom of the article?

Old 29 Oct 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3159686)   #605
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who would want the job at this point? If I was Atherton and they called, I would just laugh and hang up.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3159793)   #606
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
You'd want to be mad to take that job or it might attract someone inept and willing to take home a bag of gold. Still think George is a shoe-in or him running a proxy. If not, Bernard's firing defies even the logic of lunatics.

Penske should snap it up and get a crony to run it. I appreciate that's probably not in his mind though.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3159795)   #607
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Out of all the possibilities on Cavin's list Scott Atherton looks to have the best background.

So some Motor City grandee says, "good things are to come in IndyCar, stay tuned." Are we going to see a return of cars like this, as featured at the bottom of the article?

Scott Atherton????!!!!! OH MY GAWD! The guy that bravely talked each year at Petit LeMans about the Great Leap Forward ALMS was going to make next season? The man who led ALMS to an Unholy Alliance with Grand-Am? The man who promised new and super-gigunda sponsors every season? The guy who promotes the 437 separate racing classes for the series?

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ. If y'all thought RB had his drawbacks...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3159801)   #608
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Me too. There are some good teams and drivers in the series and that is why I continue to follow it. It gets more difficult every year. These guys make IMSA look like NASA... and I mean the space organization.
It is not fair to compare IMSA to IndyCar. I mean, for a while (albeit briefly, I admit) IMSA was awesome! GT and GTU, The Radial Stock Series (Hornets and Gremlins on the the banking at Daytona!!) was terrific in its heyday and where else could you see David Hobbs, Peter Gregg, Diego Fiebles, Danny Ongais & Company week in and week out.

They had their problems and their share of misery later but for a time it was the best show around...

No, the buffoons at the Hulman/George/IndyCar Braintrust could never have come up with anything THAT successful. Not ever.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Oct 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3159802)   #609
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Here is how far IndyCar has fallen:

Time was Bernard being fired would have gotten its own thread.

We are all so tired of this crap we can't even be bothered to do that...
Old 29 Oct 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3159845)   #610
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Scott Atherton????!!!!! OH MY GAWD! The guy that bravely talked each year at Petit LeMans about the Great Leap Forward ALMS was going to make next season? The man who led ALMS to an Unholy Alliance with Grand-Am? The man who promised new and super-gigunda sponsors every season? The guy who promotes the 437 separate racing classes for the series?

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ. If y'all thought RB had his drawbacks...
He's got to be better than TG, Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ or otherwise.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 00:26 (Ref:3159863)   #611
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wake me up when the racing starts.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3159873)   #612
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Wake me up when the racing starts.
You don't happen to be unemployed by any chance? Because I know of a job going.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 03:04 (Ref:3159925)   #613
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Saw this wire service story tonight. If you were wondering how clueless the owners are, the quote by Floyd Ganassi at the end of the article sums up how much of the pond he believes that he occupies. Penske's lament is pretty amusing as well. I am sure he just had no idea in his pretty little head that any of this could possibly happen.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

And by the way, I no more buy the TG was just going to be a little old board member any more than I think that I will wake up tomorrow with huge pectoral muscles...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3159928)   #614
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
He's got to be better than TG, Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ or otherwise.
Never tempt worse. It IS possible to have worse than TG...I know that can be hard to fathom as TG was pretty sucktastic, but so were a lot of those other cats...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3160055)   #615
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I'd see Scott Atherton as a competent puppet. I'd sooner him than George. No absolute problem on that score.

Tony George resigned in order to lead out a buy-out consortium. Now maybe that fool's consortium then floundered after he resigned and he has marooned himself out of power. Nice if it did happen.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3160077)   #616
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
TG was welcomed back into the fold after the previous disaster. IF the buyout attempt is over, I am sure he will be returning to the fold...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3160130)   #617
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Never tempt worse. It IS possible to have worse than TG...I know that can be hard to fathom as TG was pretty sucktastic, but so were a lot of those other cats...
True and it is possible to have worse than TG but the fact is this whole sorry mess started with TG; buyer beware.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3160143)   #618
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
This whole sorry mess started way before TG. No question he is a culprit, but no question, many of the same people are still involved.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3160145)   #619
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty universal bad press
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...pread/1667231/
Old 30 Oct 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3160148)   #620
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
This whole sorry mess started way before TG. No question he is a culprit, but no question, many of the same people are still involved.
I thought CART did quite a good job up until the split.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 14:33 (Ref:3160152)   #621
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Don't forget that CART was a split from USAC, led by some of the same team owners (see Penske, Roger) who then went through a myriad of leaders as the owners squabbled about who would actually run the show. Then TG came along for Split Redux, with even more squabbling. Then reunification and, surprise! More squabbling from owners like Penske, Mikey and Floyd "Crisis, What Crisis?" Ganassi.

The real surprise here is not that the "split" ruined CART but that CART succeeded at all. All the infighting before, during and since seems to be par for the course.

This time I think they have infought their way to irrelevance and possibly non-existence. They don't need a new president. They need an Exorcist.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3160159)   #622
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Don't forget that CART was a split from USAC, led by some of the same team owners (see Penske, Roger) who then went through a myriad of leaders as the owners squabbled about who would actually run the show. Then TG came along for Split Redux, with even more squabbling. Then reunification and, surprise! More squabbling from owners like Penske, Mikey and Floyd "Crisis, What Crisis?" Ganassi.

The real surprise here is not that the "split" ruined CART but that CART succeeded at all. All the infighting before, during and since seems to be par for the course.

This time I think they have infought their way to irrelevance and possibly non-existence. They don't need a new president. They need an Exorcist.
I know CART split from USAC. 'They need an Exorcist', , couldn't agree more.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3160182)   #623
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know CART split from USAC. 'They need an Exorcist', , couldn't agree more.
Once the series is already exorcise, NASCAR would take over and close it for good... But that's my opinion.

Imagine Indy 500 with stockcars... That can't be good!

Anyways, they need someone who can shut those douchebags up! Something like Mr. Bernie...
Old 30 Oct 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3160204)   #624
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Once the series is already exorcise, NASCAR would take over and close it for good... But that's my opinion.

Imagine Indy 500 with stockcars... That can't be good!

Anyways, they need someone who can shut those douchebags up! Something like Mr. Bernie...
Personally I don't think Bernie could give a damn.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3160215)   #625
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I don't think Bernie could give a damn.
No, I meant having the same levels as Mr. Bernie, not the Bernie in person.