Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Apr 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3812357)   #6226
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
It'd still be more legal than that rotating rear wing they ran in 2014...

This one gets a thumbs up from me, the best of the lot from DSC this year.
Old 1 Apr 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3812375)   #6227
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
It'd still be more legal than that rotating rear wing they ran in 2014...

This one gets a thumbs up from me, the best of the lot from DSC this year.
That wing was pretty legal, because it used the wording of the rules in a clever way. The widebody would have to add new words to the rules If they did that, everyone would say Toyota writes the rules, literally
Old 2 Apr 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3812514)   #6228
Akrapovic
Veteran

Australia
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well. Strictly speaking, that wing was outlawed because it moved, and no aero parts may move. And since it never came back, it couldn't have been that legal. ACO just didn't want to cause a major upset and admit they missed it in the tech checks during Le Mans week. Got away with it due to circumnavigating the testing equipment, rather than building to the rules.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3812558)   #6229
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well. Strictly speaking, that wing was outlawed because it moved, and no aero parts may move. And since it never came back, it couldn't have been that legal. ACO just didn't want to cause a major upset and admit they missed it in the tech checks during Le Mans week. Got away with it due to circumnavigating the testing equipment, rather than building to the rules.
I was just saying it was 'legal' because it passed tech and scrutineering then raced. They kinda caught the ACO in a bind! Afterwards it was definitely illegal since they wrote better wording to disallow it

I wonder if there will be anything questionable this year in any of the lmp1's? Little tricks like that and the blown diffuser of the Audi were cool to see.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3812644)   #6230
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/stat...61309038399489
Old 4 Apr 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3812890)   #6231
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've spoken before of which races we think Toyota may win and which lose. Well now that they've neutered Sebring distance to be just mere 2 hours (or less) more than regular 6 hour race, I think that's going to make it almost as straightforward as the rest of the sprint races. Even acknowledging the harshness of the track surface - which Toyota has never even touched - making it 4-5 hours shorter than originally projected is going to weaken the chances of shock surprises considerably.

Maybe if one of the privateers brings out a special-for-Sebring uber aero kit, which they can do per nonhybrid regulations, there could be some sort of performance advantage, but I'm not sure if anyone going to bother with heroics for just that one event when they'll be busy preparing for Le Mans 2019. The event does give 1.25x points but that's not much more than regular 6 hour race really

So I now think Toyota will win every race except probably Le Mans. There their chances are about as good as the ones of ByKolles

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Apr 2018 at 21:04.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3812899)   #6232
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
We've spoken before of which races we think Toyota may win and which lose. Well now that they've neutered Sebring distance to be just mere 2 hours (or less) more than regular 6 hour race, I think that's going to make it almost as straightforward as the rest of the sprint races. Even acknowledging the harshness of the track surface - which Toyota has never even touched - making it 4-5 hours shorter than originally projected is going to weaken the chances of shock surprises considerably.

Maybe if one of the privateers brings out a special-for-Sebring uber aero kit, which they can do per nonhybrid regulations, there could be some sort of performance advantage, but I'm not sure if anyone going to bother with heroics for just that one event when they'll be busy preparing for Le Mans 2019. The event does give 1.25x points but that's not much more than regular 6 hour race really

So I now think Toyota will win every race except probably Le Mans. There their chances are about as good as the ones of ByKolles
I think they will win every race including Le Mans. But I don't think they'll be walkovers. I think the newer cars will have reliability troubles before they can finish a 24 hour race, but by Sebring they should have that ironed out. So I think by the end of this year and the beginning of next, they will have some good competition for the victory and that top speed will be really interesting at Le Mans especially. Spa, Fuji and Shanghai as well.
Old 4 Apr 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3812902)   #6233
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think they will win every race including Le Mans. But I don't think they'll be walkovers. I think the newer cars will have reliability troubles before they can finish a 24 hour race, but by Sebring they should have that ironed out. So I think by the end of this year and the beginning of next, they will have some good competition for the victory and that top speed will be really interesting at Le Mans especially. Spa, Fuji and Shanghai as well.
Let's hope there will be no neutered performances anywhere.

I forgot to say that while the LMP1 field is pretty much fixed for this year, there might be additional cars lined up for Sebring if they are entered for Le Mans 2019 and/or for the following 19-20 season, so that might have potential effect

If there will be "additional cars", perhaps the addition of extra test day at Sebring - which was announced today - is carrot that somewhat compensates for the shortened event itself
Old 5 Apr 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3812944)   #6234
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear Alex and Anthony will be driving for the event this weekend!
Wonder how Alex will perform after all these years!
Old 5 Apr 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3812988)   #6235
Deleted
Veteran

Non suprisingly no high-df homologation until post-LM
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...ownforce-aero/
Old 5 Apr 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3813020)   #6236
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Even though it seems that they're testing the 2017 high downforce car at the Prologue based on photos alongside the LM variant.
Old 5 Apr 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3813041)   #6237
TF110
Veteran

United States
The LM kit has gotten a new set of mini-diveplanes

Old 5 Apr 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3813048)   #6238
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Non suprisingly no high-df homologation until post-LM
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...ownforce-aero/
honestly toyota could even use LD bodywork for the whole season without any real concern
Old 7 Apr 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3813570)   #6239
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota's early times were due to the ACO allowing them to run nearly unrestricted to stress test cooling system parts according to Racecar Engineering and DSC.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3813613)   #6240
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Toyota's early times were due to the ACO allowing them to run nearly unrestricted to stress test cooling system parts according to Racecar Engineering and DSC.
If that's the case then I wish they hadn't of timed them or put the times in the results that we can all see, confused the situation some what
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3813640)   #6241
Deleted
Veteran

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/v...s-at-prologue/

He denied allegations that the Japanese manufacturer deliberately ran the cars out of compliance to push the LMP1 non-hybrids to its limits.

Interesting theory regardless I guess
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3813643)   #6242
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I’m all for competition and close racing, but I’m also Somewhat sad to see the pinnacle of sports cars pegged back so much.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3813644)   #6243
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
I’m all for competition and close racing, but I’m also Somewhat sad to see the pinnacle of sports cars pegged back so much.
At least it's hybrid vs non hybrid as whole, not individual cars like the out of the hat nonsense in DPi, race-by-race
Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3813674)   #6244
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/v...s-at-prologue/

He denied allegations that the Japanese manufacturer deliberately ran the cars out of compliance to push the LMP1 non-hybrids to its limits.

Interesting theory regardless I guess
Don't we all love a good conspiracy theory when we have no idea of the facts. Makes for a good story on sportscar365, I guess......
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3813708)   #6245
TF110
Veteran

United States
The #7 low-downforce set it's 1:34 on lap 15 of a 17 lap stint. The #8's 1:32 came on a 3 lap stint though. Looking at the times on the alkamelsystems site, the #8 was doing 3 and 4 lap stints the whole morning.

When Toyota was running 'legally' it's best was a 1:38.1 which came during it's long endurance run by the #7.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3813760)   #6246
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget about #8 numbers.... car was HD and unrestricted. Really not helpful at all.

Anyway, guess #7 never tried a real full time attack. My bet about their best performance is high 1.35 - 1.36 vs private low 1.37.

Best new is that race trim pace is really close between toyota and best privates.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3814208)   #6247
TF110
Veteran

United States
Unless they were holding back. Even during the in-laps their top speed was around 315kmh on the long runs. It's always been higher on in-laps every single race. There's nothing that should have changed just because they have less fuel. I think they were running to a delta and the 'slow' times can be explained by that plus the high wind.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3814221)   #6248
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Don't we all love a good conspiracy theory when we have no idea of the facts. Makes for a good story on sportscar365, I guess......
So what is the current state of this? Was the car actually run outside of the regulations, do we even know? Or did Toyota just say that after smoking the field with a legal car so that they didn't get help for the privateers?
Old 8 Apr 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3814229)   #6249
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Or did Toyota just say that after smoking the field with a legal car so that they didn't get help for the privateers?
Doubtful, Toyota is actually interested in having some level of competition, remember their commitment to the WEC was pending on the rules giving privateers a fair chance to compete with them.

No one wins if they would have as much of an advantage as the lap times suggests, that would be terrible news for the series and not good for TMG either. I think ideally they want to have the option to be quicker than the competition if needed but I can't see the desire to run circles around them, that would simply not be beneficial for anybody.
Old 9 Apr 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3814261)   #6250
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So what is the current state of this? Was the car actually run outside of the regulations, do we even know? Or did Toyota just say that after smoking the field with a legal car so that they didn't get help for the privateers?
If they just said it because they were too fast, I can see that being an excuse so they don't get even more negative eot. But I think they ran the hybrid at a higher level than what was allowed per lap. So maybe they ran it at a full 8mj per lap instead of the 4 or 5mj they're allowed due to the track distance.