Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Apr 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3398204)   #6251
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
These exhaust outlets do however appear to be difficult to clearly spot on the Monza pictures that have been released so far. This is probably due to the fact that the exhaust outlets exhibit a relatively low height.
Watching the pictures and videos again, its not only those exhaust outlets that are difficult to spot, the all trailing edge of the end of engine cover doesn't seem to present that curves... are flat... also the rear fenders blow diffusers are also different from that picture thats seems to be a CAD rendering as Mulsanescorner points out...

If its from Audi origin lol... divest attention lol...

Quote:
The outlet on the left-hand side of the engine cover can also be spotted on both cars that ran at Silverstone. It's difficult to spot as it is located in the black-colored portion of the engine cover:
Could be... but i can't spot anything. OTOH the exits ( there are 2 more outlets) more to the front on top of engine cover, most likely from cockpit seems quite visible... ok are on a white part... but then, if not exhaust, and if not cockpit, and if radiator outlet diffusers are in the back, in the rear and merge with rear fender diffusers, what for is that opening (and is wide an up enough to be easily spotted in Monza pictures) ?

Last edited by hcl123; 25 Apr 2014 at 18:10.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3398208)   #6252
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
This is the "best" picture available so far and I believe that the particular shape of the trailing edge of the rear bodywork is quite visible:

As regards the size of the exhaust outlets, you may recall that last year's solution used by Audi consisted of elongated outlets opening at the base of the rear wheel wells. I would not be surprised to see similar elongated, relatively flat exhaust outlets extending transversally to the longitudinal axis of the car.

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 25 Apr 2014 at 18:19.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3398229)   #6253
hcl123
Veteran

hummm could be... for the rear fender diffusers. OTOH

The supposed "exhaust outlets" are not there... in that CAD they are not part of rear fender diffusors, they are clearly pulled back from the trailing edge end . Unless now they exit 'inside' the rear fenders diffusing box, they are not there.
Old 25 Apr 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3398257)   #6254
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
hummm could be... for the rear fender diffusers. OTOH

The supposed "exhaust outlets" are not there... in that CAD they are not part of rear fender diffusors, they are clearly pulled back from the trailing edge end . Unless now they exit 'inside' the rear fenders diffusing box, they are not there.
As the exhaust outlets have to be "visible when seen from above or the side" it is highly unlikely that they are located inside the rear fender areas (whether directly within the wheel wells or in the volume behind the rear wheels).

I do believe that the CAD shot released by Audi does partly reveal where the exhaust outlets are located (yellow arrow), i.e. 300 mm upstream of the trailing edge of the rear diffuser where the bodywork is lowered to meet that trailing edge.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3398331)   #6255
hcl123
Veteran

From that small image you provided with a complete rear view, doesn't seem to be there anything of exhaust... if there is, they are real tiny outlets, and well dissimulated, much more than that CAD rendering suggests. (perhaps Audi is attending ppl complaining about engine "noise" .. err... sound lol... tiny outlets accelerates flow and makes more sound... like a whistle lol)
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3398347)   #6256
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
The purpose/function of this outlet is still unclear to me, but this is likely not an exhaust outlet. This outlet (which is only present on the left side of the engine cover) can also be spotted on the sprint version:

(picture of sprint version taken at the Geneva Motorshow)

The exhaust outlets do appear to have been moved to the lowest portion of the engine cover (yellow arrow), upstream of the trailing edge portion of the engine cover where it meets the surface of the rear diffuser:

These exhaust outlets do however appear to be difficult to clearly spot on the Monza pictures that have been released so far. This is probably due to the fact that the exhaust outlets exhibit a relatively low height.
It is interesting how the leading edge of the end plate is turned to the centerline of the car in the bottom photo. It seems it would increase stability for the rear end but might also cause drag. Audi has been doing this for many years though. I'll have to look up a mid-2000's photo where it was noticeable in the photo.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3398349)   #6257
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
It is interesting how the leading edge of the end plate is turned to the centerline of the car in the bottom photo. It seems it would increase stability for the rear end but might also cause drag. Audi has been doing this for many years though. I'll have to look up a mid-2000's photo where it was noticeable in the photo.
Cyber, that is an optical illusion, because the fender goes from max width in that area to slightly narrower at the back, therefore it makes the wing plate look like it is facing the center line of that car with its leading edge. But in reality is not, and not because I have better eyes than you, just the rules say the end plate has to be parallel to the center line above certain height (pretty much immediately above the fender).
Old 26 Apr 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3398510)   #6258
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
This photo suggest that the R18's flap in the nose might have some scope for adjustment--note the silver piece in the nose above the flap that looks like it's got a track cut in it:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...64034280_n.jpg
Old 27 Apr 2014, 04:40 (Ref:3398614)   #6259
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Cyber, that is an optical illusion, because the fender goes from max width in that area to slightly narrower at the back, therefore it makes the wing plate look like it is facing the center line of that car with its leading edge. But in reality is not, and not because I have better eyes than you, just the rules say the end plate has to be parallel to the center line above certain height (pretty much immediately above the fender).
Deltawing, I may be mistaken about the angle of the end plate but in this photo from 2002 that I took, it appears to be that the end plate is angled. Many years have passed, many rules and regulations have passed, but I did see the angled end-plate once, so, I think it may happen again,
unless, as you suggest, it is an optical illusion.

In the photo supplied, the angle is opposite of the midline.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 04:58 (Ref:3398616)   #6260
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi and Toyota ran angled outer endplates last year, but I do have to say that it makes little sense to angle the main endplate.

That does sort of mess up running the wing to it's maximum width across it's entire planes.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3398625)   #6261
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Audi and Toyota ran angled outer endplates last year, but I do have to say that it makes little sense to angle the main endplate.

That does sort of mess up running the wing to it's maximum width across it's entire planes.
Depends on where and how it's angled, maybe trading off a bit of a mess-up to the wing for better flow above the exit of the rear diffuser is worth it?
Old 27 Apr 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3398651)   #6262
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota ran S-shaped endplates. Not sure how angled they were.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3398661)   #6263
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota ran S-shaped endplates. Not sure how angled they were.
The S-shaped profile was actually imparted to the wheel arch extensions on the outside of the rear wing end plates, which were basically straight so far I can see.

late 2012/early 2013 high-downforce spec:

2013 low-drag spec:

In the case of the 2013-spec Audi R18, the rear wing end plates were straight and the wheel are extensions on the outside were angled with respect to the longitudinal axis of the car:

In its current sprint or LM version, the rear wing end plates of the Audi R18 are perfectly straight. This is basically required by the rules (cf. Article 3.6.2 d4):
Quote:
End plates
(...)
The surfaces shall be flat and parallel to the vertical plane passing through the longitudinal centre line of the car.

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 27 Apr 2014 at 08:23.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3398726)   #6264
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
High-definition video by 19Bozzy92 is available. Thanks to Julien

Some better shots do reveal the outlets on top of the flat portion of the engine cover, upstream of the trailing edge of the rear diffuser:

Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3398734)   #6265
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they tested also with wet track (with tank trucks) and r18 was completely flat-out as on dry also in that condition 'till variante della Roggia
so amazing downforce also with low-drag pack
Old 27 Apr 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3398736)   #6266
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car looks very very fast :-)

It seems that this year we will have some increase in terms of top speed in Le Mans.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3398875)   #6267
hcl123
Veteran

@ MyNameIsNigel

Yes great video, the exhaust outlets seems to be on that flat part of the engine cover very near trailing edge, and its more dissimulated than in the CAD rendering, its not round or oval, its more rectangular.

@ manthey

You mean they wetted the track on purpose with water tanks to test ?... seems covering all bases. Any image or video ?

@ gustavobamba

Yes i always suspected faster times. lets see.

Its hard to tell on dry ( same tires, dry track, 2013 test with 2013 tub)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFaG...OUGGa2k5HF84v0

(long tail 2013 test on kind of wet, before Le Mans)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIc1BcWDlM

but definitely the car seems faster than 2013, specially on corners.

Not only that, definitely seems to me there is a different relation between gearboxes changes, are longer more spaced after slower corners than in Sebring test ( supposedly the setup of Silverstone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDsi-M5B28

So maybe not only an "extensive" aero package review ( quite *visible*)... but also a engine and gearbox review... even the sound of the engine is a little bit different ( can be because of different exhaust, but different gearbox relations usually mean different engine mapping and or engine tuning if not overhaul).

Leads to ask... was the Silverstone model kind of a final "product" for 2014( save the minor changes even from race to race)... or what was possible to have by that time ? ( never to be seen again)
Old 27 Apr 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3398877)   #6268
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
Leads to ask... was the Silverstone model kind of a final "product" for 2014( save the minor changes even from race to race)... or what was possible to have by that time ? ( never to be seen again)
Silverstone is the HDF package, of course things like the gear ratios and top speed will be different in this low DF setup, otherwise they'd be getting into the limiter far to early on the Mulsanne and all that.

I suspect we'll see some minor aero changes once we hit the F1 circuits but I really can't see anything major being done, after all they had the best overall level of DF and were right on the Toyota's heels (and ahead for a bit) during the race
Old 27 Apr 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3398892)   #6269
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The WEC needs to race on that layout of Monza.
Old 27 Apr 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3398948)   #6270
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
The WEC needs to race on that layout of Monza.
+1
Old 27 Apr 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3398971)   #6271
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They need to race Monza period.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3399001)   #6272
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Nigel,

I think an interesting note to this discussion is that the double-end plates display an 'H', as in 'Hybrid', in the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
In the case of the 2013-spec Audi R18, the rear wing end plates were straight and the wheel are extensions on the outside were angled with respect to the longitudinal axis of the car:

:
Old 28 Apr 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3399008)   #6273
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Silverstone is the HDF package, of course things like the gear ratios and top speed will be different in this low DF setup, otherwise they'd be getting into the limiter far to early on the Mulsanne and all that.

I suspect we'll see some minor aero changes once we hit the F1 circuits but I really can't see anything major being done, after all they had the best overall level of DF and were right on the Toyota's heels (and ahead for a bit) during the race
I think even the HDF package will be different from now on... If not 'long tail' all season, i thing at least the new HDF front will be identical, most likely keeping the lateral front fenders openings.( that car already has a tremendous amount of grip on fast corners, probably "ground effect" from the front wing, don't need more down force, taller front panels in front, that reduces top speeds)

The more i see that most recent video of Monza, the faster the car seems, specially on fast corners than the 2013 edition lol...

Then there is the engine... and correspondingly the gearbox(s) ( there could be more than 1 version of gearbox) to make a complete job.... i suspect there is kind of an engine overhaul.

Both this engines for Audi and Toyota i suspect are *stroked* versions of the same 3.7L and 3.4L blocks of 2013. Different crankshafts pistons, etc, in sum all internal moving parts (what stroking an engine implies -> more displacement, less heavier, more torque/power, less revs), can already be considered an overhaul... then there are the engine heads, dry slumps, cams, mappings etc (another overhaul).

For Audi case, since they talked about an all newengine with a MGU-H... i wonder if they were not developing something real totally new in the first place, but then dropped back... A V8 !...
Old 28 Apr 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3399314)   #6274
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Sport Audi reports that both the Silverstone cars have been repaired and will be used as spare tubs for Spa.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 18:42 (Ref:3399318)   #6275
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Sport Audi reports that both the Silverstone cars have been repaired and will be used as spare tubs for Spa.
The damaged tubs have already been repaired ? I thought they had been sent back to the supplier in Italy and that cars #1 and #2 were going to be rebuilt around spare tubs.