Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Feb 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3509905)   #6326
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
(still learning my way around here - I THINK this is the right place ofr this. If not... Sorry!)

A late night arrival to my inbox has provided a very juicy rumor that leadership of WC Vision and the SCCA have recently discussed adding prototype classes to the Pirelli World Challenge come 2017.

That it's the same year as the debut of new LMP2 rules is not coincidental as supposedly three P classes have been proposed; one that will run LMP2 machinery both new and old, one running LMP3 and LMPC cars, and a third one for cars legal under SCCA Prototype 1 club racing rules, which includes Group CN cars.

The P classes would follow the same sprint format as all other PWC races, and the notion of having one of the P classes as the lead class of every race at split-field race meets was supposedly floated as well.

Anyone out there able to back up or trash this one? What do you think of this idea?

I like the idea, but it sounds like WC Vision would have quite a headache on their hand managing it all. And I'm not certain PWC really needs to be running P2 - let TUSCC worry about P2, but I love the idea of PWC running the "baby" prototype classes at it's races.

I'm a guy who loves purpose-built machinery. This is the sort of thing that could shift my loyalty from TUSCC to PWC. (though said "loyalty" is really only which series I like most since I follow all forms of racing to at least some extent
Boy I hope this is true.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3509908)   #6327
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
If this were to materialize, I wonder how it would go over with some of the current gt teams? Now, they play support to indy car quite often, but do get some stand alone races this year. Maybe this is WC looking for the right opportunity to step away from indy car and stand alone or at least be the headliner for all their weekends. Fingers crossed..but cautiously optimistic..
Old 28 Feb 2015, 09:20 (Ref:3509960)   #6328
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
and the notion of having one of the P classes as the lead class of every race at split-field race meets was supposedly floated as well.
So P2 and GT3 in one field, P3 and GTS, and CN and the tourers? That's a horrible idea, especially for the GT-teams. If they do it, they'd be much better off with all prototypes in one division.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3509983)   #6329
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is the PWC is still looks like a cheap junior series, compared to other racing series. It just missing something, that "it" factor.

Sure, it has a lot of cars now, but so does a lot of other racing series and their still not as popular the big series. Like conti and the revived Trans-Am.

Does it need protos or longer races? Maybe pit stops? It definitely needs a better TV deal though. Because only a small Internet cult following seems to watch it.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3509988)   #6330
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Longer races would destroy one of its biggest advantages - being a lot cheaper than the other show in town.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the shorter format, plenty of top level series are predominately sprint series.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 11:10 (Ref:3510002)   #6331
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
So P2 and GT3 in one field, P3 and GTS, and CN and the tourers? That's a horrible idea, especially for the GT-teams. If they do it, they'd be much better off with all prototypes in one division.
That is what I believe was being inferred, and I don't think it's such a horrible idea.

At least, not if it's only SOME races. Shaking up the lineup for each race at certain venues would make things rather interesting.

Say two or three race weekends a year have each P class frontrunning a race with a production class, rest of the season they're their own event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Does it need protos or longer races? Maybe pit stops? It definitely needs a better TV deal though. Because only a small Internet cult following seems to watch it.
That "small" cult following managed to overload their streaming servers a while back, keep in mind.

The TV side may have improved with the CBS Sports deal, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Longer races would destroy one of its biggest advantages - being a lot cheaper than the other show in town.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the shorter format, plenty of top level series are predominately sprint series.
One or two longer races wouldn't be such a big deal - say a couple of 90-minute races. Beyond that, you do kinda destroy the point of the series. TUSCC is endurance, PWC is for sprints.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 15:54 (Ref:3510065)   #6332
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vanthoor may have a seat at Le Mans this year.

https://twitter.com/vanthoorlaurens/...97748422094848
Old 28 Feb 2015, 16:18 (Ref:3510070)   #6333
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
Quote:
That is what I believe was being inferred, and I don't think it's such a horrible idea.

At least, not if it's only SOME races. Shaking up the lineup for each race at certain venues would make things rather interesting.

Say two or three race weekends a year have each P class frontrunning a race with a production class, rest of the season they're their own event.

That "small" cult following managed to overload their streaming servers a while back, keep in mind.

The TV side may have improved with the CBS Sports deal, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure.

One or two longer races wouldn't be such a big deal - say a couple of 90-minute races. Beyond that, you do kinda destroy the point of the series. TUSCC is endurance, PWC is for sprints.
Adding pit stops to s couple races would be a pretty big deal. Would require equipment most don't already have, team members and practice.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3510071)   #6334
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Vanthoor may have a seat at Le Mans this year.

https://twitter.com/vanthoorlaurens/...97748422094848
Interesting news. Would have loved to see him race in LMP though.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3510081)   #6335
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Interesting news. Would have loved to see him race in LMP though.
"All the credits are for Oriol Folch and G24 Studio"

Because i´m a nice guy and love Endurance… and because he drive for Mclaren… and just because…

[ img ]http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6268/XsXldD.jpg[ /img]

Hope you enjoy my litle gift
Old 28 Feb 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3510082)   #6336
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I´m facing trouble to post pictures
Old 28 Feb 2015, 17:20 (Ref:3510083)   #6337
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There you go!
Old 28 Feb 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3510084)   #6338
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
There you go!
Thanks, i must learn to do this

By the way what do you think about this concept ?
Old 28 Feb 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3510138)   #6339
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Thanks, i must learn to do this

By the way what do you think about this concept ?
Looks like Picchio made an LMP based on the front end of their old DP:
Old 28 Feb 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3510139)   #6340
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Looks like Picchio made an LMP based on the front end of their old DP:
Old 28 Feb 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3510142)   #6341
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
I was hoping someone else would find that as funny as I did. :P
Old 1 Mar 2015, 00:34 (Ref:3510176)   #6342
HPmadness
Rookie

HPmadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There you go!
Its... Its... BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 1 Mar 2015, 02:33 (Ref:3510202)   #6343
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There you go!
Great concept.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 03:46 (Ref:3510218)   #6344
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Update from Audi on their Geneva Motorshow activities: I don't know if they'll have one on display, but in additon to the new R8 road cars and the 2015 R18 LMP1 car, Audi will at least announce specs on the new R8 e-tron electric car, and the R8 LMS GT3 car.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3510226)   #6345
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Great concept.
Just a little too 'familiar' to the other photoshops hes done. Same sidepod inlets, fender shape etc. But cool idea.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3510319)   #6346
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
SARD announce that they will launch FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) business division.
At first, they will develop and produce FCV racing car.
http://www.sard.co.jp/pdf/1503_fcvdep.pdf

Last edited by Japanese Samurai; 1 Mar 2015 at 09:37.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3510359)   #6347
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Garage 56th!?
Old 1 Mar 2015, 12:32 (Ref:3510373)   #6348
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that is the sort of thing the 56th garage was for
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3511041)   #6349
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
According to this: Jim Glickenhaus is intending to race at Le Mans in 2017 with an LMP1 car:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Frankel
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3511044)   #6350
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
According to this: Jim Glickenhaus is intending to race at Le Mans in 2017 with an LMP1 car:

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Frankel
I just wish he do it with a new SCG lmp1 version :-)