Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2993922)   #651
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Settle down boys, its a bit much for rookie posters to come in here swinging

if you dont like what he says, then refute it, but dont get personal

Rumour and conspiracy theoris is what internet forums are about, If you cant handle that then maybe you should stick to newspapers
I'll second that. There's no need to get nasty on fellow forum dwellers.

He was wrong this time - but to be honest, he's possibly only out by a year.

If, after five years with DJR they're still only re-committing for a year at a time, that's a worry. It can't be an internal process thing as they've committed for a further three years as official bourbon of V8 Supercars.

I'm not saying that DJR will lose the money next year, but as Jim Beam are clearly keen to be a part of V8s, it has the feeling of them keeping an eye out for either a better deal, or a better team in 2013.

The Johnson name still has its appeal (and hopefully always will) but I can't imagine Dean Fiore really got the marketing folks at Jim Beam too excited.

As for Pepsi - re-committing for a further 12 months makes sense in the circumstances. After getting royally screwed over with the Courtney/FPR non-deal, a shotgun wedding with Murphy/Kelly, slow start with some improving results, they want to see if they continue, or start to, get some value for their dollars. Hopefully from 2013 they'll commit longer term to V8s.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2993941)   #652
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
The Johnson name still has its appeal (and hopefully always will) but I can't imagine Dean Fiore really got the marketing folks at Jim Beam too excited.
Its just a deal I can't really figure out, Fiore running his car within DJR I can understand but it seems like a big call for him to be in a "top line car" all of a sudden. There's no doubt his credentials in other categories and the Fiore's clearly have means so perhaps that has more to do with it than it might seem. Either way, good stability for Dean and perhaps his chance to show what he can really do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
As for Pepsi - re-committing for a further 12 months makes sense in the circumstances. After getting royally screwed over with the Courtney/FPR non-deal, a shotgun wedding with Murphy/Kelly, slow start with some improving results, they want to see if they continue, or start to, get some value for their dollars. Hopefully from 2013 they'll commit longer term to V8s.
I think this deal is good for Pepsi, good for Murph, good for KR and good for the sport. As much as Murph isn't young, I think he's pretty cool, and he has a solid fanbase on both sides of the Tasman.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2994131)   #653
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
what happened to Lucas Dumbrell motorsport?????

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226211756794
Old 1 Dec 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2994156)   #654
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Settle down boys, its a bit much for rookie posters to come in here swinging

if you dont like what he says, then refute it, but dont get personal

Rumour and conspiracy theoris is what internet forums are about, If you cant handle that then maybe you should stick to newspapers
Pot, kettle, black..........you should be so tolerant of my posts and conspiracy theories.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2994246)   #655
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Its just a deal I can't really figure out, Fiore running his car within DJR I can understand but it seems like a big call for him to be in a "top line car" all of a sudden. There's no doubt his credentials in other categories and the Fiore's clearly have means so perhaps that has more to do with it than it might seem. Either way, good stability for Dean and perhaps his chance to show what he can really do.

I think this deal is good for Pepsi, good for Murph, good for KR and good for the sport. As much as Murph isn't young, I think he's pretty cool, and he has a solid fanbase on both sides of the Tasman.
I can only put the Fiore deal down to him providing an REC and DJR's requirement to have 2 Jim Beam Falcons for 2012.

A current driver that can bring an REC (and maybe a little bit of money) limits your options a bit. Brighty would be the other one, and maybe Steve Owen with the PMM REC - which may still happen.

Moffat has enough sponsorship to fund a stand-alone entry. So he takes Charlie's REC, Fiore brings his own and Steven runs the DJR REC.

Agreed that the Pepsi deal is good all round. Murph' is still one of the most recognisable and popular driver, especially in NZ. I hope it becomes a long term thing and they get some success next year.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 06:03 (Ref:2994247)   #656
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This may have been said, but does anyone see the longer term plan here?

1. I think there will be a number swap between the Schwerkolt and Fiore RECS so there remains #17 & #18 Jim Beam cars.
2. Schwerkolt's REC becomes #12 Norton Dick Johnson Racing for 2012 with James Moffat
3. Schwerkolt's REC becomes #12 Charlie Schwerkolt Racing in 2013, possibly continuing with Moffat and Norton, but really, who knows?

Meanwhile Dick has lined up, as we speak, as replacement REC for when this time comes. It just comes leased and with Dean Fiore for at least two years... 2014 Dick is back to the drawing board. Try and buy Fiore's (which they may or may not do) or try yet another path...
Old 2 Dec 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2994256)   #657
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
I just lost all respect for him. absolute joke. This is Australia, not america.

Buy life insurance, or accept the consequences of your actions!
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2994258)   #658
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

Agree 100%.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2994259)   #659
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

While I sympathize with the situation he is in, the long term ramifications if he wins could be disastrous for motorsport in this country.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2994262)   #660
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
While I sympathize with the situation he is in, the long term ramifications if he wins could be disastrous for motorsport in this country.
I sympathize, to a point. Yeah its a shame he was in a crash, but he knew the risks and still competed. Its not CAMS fault he doesn't have life insruance
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2994275)   #661
osrg
Racer

osrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridosrg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Irrespective of If he does or doesn't win the case..... He'll be run out of the sport anyways due to these antics...

I'm sure there is enough $$$ in the family company to look after Lucas rather than holding an entire sport to ransome....
Old 2 Dec 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2994282)   #662
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
It is certainly an interesting choice of legal representation...arguably with a reputation in some circles as ambulance chasers as opposed to top flight solicitors who put in the hard grind to achieve conclusion...

It was a dreadful accident all those years ago. Mr Dumbrell's life changed immeasurably that day, that is not in dispute.

The challenge of assigning blame here is a difficult one, where the article suggests that the pilot did not see the waved yellow flag at the time, and this assertion is the sole cause the crash. It could go either way.

No doubt this discussion becomes a legal minefield, that has the potential to drag CAMS and the AFFM through a lengthy, costly and publicity generating minefield in the press. And a solicitor who may or may not elicit a settlement before it gets to court.. without prejudice of course...
Old 2 Dec 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2994349)   #663
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I'm not sure why he's going down this road so many years later to be honest, other than the money.

I'm not sure how he can claim that there was any failure by CAMS or AFFM.

The yellow flag was waved, it was at an approved flag point that nobody had a problem with for decades before.

He didn't hit the car that had already crashed, so there was no negligence by officials. He hit a car that slowed down, perhaps unsafely, upon seeing a yellow flag come out which Dumbrell either didn't see, or didn't have time to react to before hitting the car in front.

I can't see him having a case. There's no suggestion that the medical treatment he received at the track contributed to his injuries either.

It's an unfortunate incident, which is a risk of racing.

I have enormous sympathy for him and wouldn't wish his situation on anyone, but I really can't agree with this move.

The reference to ambulance chaser lawyers earlier... I was going to say at $500 an hour you rarely find a lawyer who won't tell you that you've got a case.

But maybe in this case, others told him there was no case. Maybe not.

But Slater & Gordon, if I understand rightly, only get paid if they win. So they must see some avenue to either win the case, or at least have enough of an argument to push for a settlement. Either of those outcomes would be bad for motorsport.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2994381)   #664
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cases such as these are as simple as a breach of duty of care.

Without knowing the contracts or agreements that racing comptitors sign, I find it difficult to see where the current defendants are negligent, or have committed the breach. Are they vicariously liabile for the actions of a competitor?

If this accident happens on a public street, the person who rear ends a person who may have stopped suddenly for an animal or other hazard on the road would be found negligent for failing to keep a proper look out.

Yellow flags or no yellow flags, there was a car that could have been stricken by a mechanical issue stopped dead in front, the same result would have occured. Was this accident unavoidable? Would any safety system have prevented this accident?

Will be interesting to see how far this gets and also what impact it has on motorsport in general.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2994388)   #665
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So all the normal systems operated correctly as they have done for many, many years all over the world. Curious about the wording 'Flag marshals were allegedly told to signal with yellow flags'. presumably a bit of legalese to make it seem as if something wrong had happened.

The driver who had the accident admits in the citation that he crashed because he failed to see the signal.

Not quite sure what the point of the case is - but if he wins, what exactly is the legal system going to suggest is done instead?

I do feel sorry for him and his medical situation, but motorsport is dangerous and not every accident can be legislated for. It's the risk you acknowledge when you sign on in the morning.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2994425)   #666
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can say pretty much the same what you guys are saying. I have a lot of time for Lucas (Met him a few times and kinda got to know one another) and I've got a lot of sympathy and empathy for him but what he's doing is pretty silly. It's like a solider suing the relevant parties because they got hurt in a war zone battle. Yes, motorsport has it's dangers and for decades we have accepted these dangers.

Anyway, onto something else before the thread gets hijacked with this Lucas suing story, what kind of sponsorship would Fiore bring to the DJR fold? Could Westrac CAT be on all three cars with varying levels of sponsorship?
Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2994563)   #667
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex Davison Has No 2013 Seat

BJR Wants Alex Davison

Old 2 Dec 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2994564)   #668
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Anyway, onto something else before the thread gets hijacked with this Lucas suing story, what kind of sponsorship would Fiore bring to the DJR fold? Could Westrac CAT be on all three cars with varying levels of sponsorship?
There are a couple of other brands on Mr Fiore's car this year that have links to Caterpillar as well. You might presume that these commercial deals could be introduced to his 2012 team, to improve the sponsorship position, and to fill the white space on the cars.

There are reports of a raft of minor sponsors set to appear on Mr Moffat's car next season... so these may add to that mix.

Curious as to why Norton hasnt spoken of their reported change in investment & branding however. Is the Norton 360 branding remaining title sponsor at Sandown, and indeed is Norton remaining with 888 as windscreen sponsor?
Old 3 Dec 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2994860)   #669
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The winner of the 2012 Irwin Tools livery being applied in the paddock building...

Interesting that despite Mr Davison's assertions in Auto Action, that Roma Caravans seems to be sticking with SBR for season 2012...
Old 4 Dec 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2994885)   #670
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
what about 2012 i think a few driver will not know where they will be in 2013
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/12/03/...-2012-line-up/
With Karl Reindler set to depart for Kelly Racing

Last edited by thunderbolt; 4 Dec 2011 at 00:52.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2994896)   #671
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The 2012 Irwin Tools car

Old 4 Dec 2011, 06:38 (Ref:2994924)   #672
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Mr Holdsworth being delivered (in a wheelbarrow no less!) to 2012 team Stone Brothers Racing... dressed in a sheep suit!!!!
Old 4 Dec 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2994925)   #673
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Holdsworth being delivered (in a wheelbarrow no less!) to 2012 team Stone Brothers Racing... dressed in a sheep suit!!!!
I love Garry's sense of humour, at least he's taking it well
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2994944)   #674
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Bargs Has Options

... which according to the article may include running in the #21 car for BJR, or indeed at "another team"

The "another team" may be the infamous, yet somehow largely secret 2nd Tekno REC, on loan from PMM.

Story goes that there are as many as 6 pilots on the list still to be worked through, each with differing levels of sponsorship and support available to contribute towards car running costs.

So.. what driver doesnt want to win another Bathurst?
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2994948)   #675
osrg
Racer

Quote:
Bargs Has Options

... which according to the article may include running in the #21 car for BJR, or indeed at "another team"

The "another team" may be the infamous, yet somehow largely secret 2nd Tekno REC, on loan from PMM.

Story goes that there are as many as 6 pilots on the list still to be worked through, each with differing levels of sponsorship and support available to contribute towards car running costs.

So.. what driver doesnt want to win another Bathurst?
If any team in the paddock signs that Leprechaun up for another season to run around and bend cars.... well they need their head examined...... put this clown out to pasture.