Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Oct 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3144459)   #676
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I like rare cars (protip, if theres less than 500 made in total)
hows that car not rare? I've only seen 2 of these 'porche killars' around town. are you talking about the sierras?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:01 (Ref:3144462)   #677
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
hows that car not rare? I've only seen 2 of these 'porche killars' around town. are you talking about the sierras?
2 too many for my liking I mean 'total build'

I actually dont like the look of that car, 32 or nothing for a slyline!
Dont really like sierra's either. Along with rare, it has to look decent
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:04 (Ref:3144465)   #678
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah those GTRs are butt ugly.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:20 (Ref:3144472)   #679
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
2 too many for my liking I mean 'total build'

I actually dont like the look of that car, 32 or nothing for a slyline!
Dont really like sierra's either. Along with rare, it has to look decent
cmoooooon maaaaaate! how can you not like the R33?? better looking, faster and sexier. whereas the R32 looks a bit boxy. well then I give up..post a pic up then ill decide if its good or not.

I dont deny that the GTR are ugly, but I'd rather that then a Porsche GT3 RS. similar perfomance for half the price
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3144473)   #680
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Nah GT3 all the way, doesn't need computers to be fun
Nissan needs a lesson in soul!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3144476)   #681
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still believe that the death of Group A had nothing to do with which make was winning/losing and what the punters could/could not buy, but has everything to do with the fact that the build cost of the cars became nearly 5 times as expensive (and that was just in the beginning) and also the fact that the economy happened to crash right around the same time.

My pride and joy cost $71,000 in 1986, jumped to $82,800 for 1987 before finally ending up with a price tag of $88,100 in 1988......ouch.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3144485)   #682
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
cmoooooon maaaaaate! how can you not like the R33?? better looking, faster and sexier. whereas the R32 looks a bit boxy. well then I give up..post a pic up then ill decide if its good or not.

I dont deny that the GTR are ugly, but I'd rather that then a Porsche GT3 RS. similar perfomance for half the price
Just not a fan. If i could find a non thrashed godzilla i'd be there (but most are fakes). Probably because i knew a guy with an Auto R33 and he banged on about how awesome it was (lol).

Also, you'll lose me now. I'll take german engineering over japanese any day of the week, even if it costs more (you get what you pay for). Although i prefer Audi over Porsche, i'll take a porsche over any japanese car.

Who wouldn't want a GT3 RS. It doesn't even have interior door handles (that just screams race me)
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3144507)   #683
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Just not a fan. If i could find a non thrashed godzilla i'd be there (but most are fakes). Probably because i knew a guy with an Auto R33 and he banged on about how awesome it was (lol).

Also, you'll lose me now. I'll take german engineering over japanese any day of the week, even if it costs more (you get what you pay for). Although i prefer Audi over Porsche, i'll take a porsche over any japanese car.

Who wouldn't want a GT3 RS. It doesn't even have interior door handles (that just screams race me)
Who wouldn't want a GTR, one of the Fastest Production cars on the planet all under 200k for the 2012 model.

Nurburgring lap times

GTR: 7:29
GT3 RS: 7:33

Japanese technology people are Aliens! and that lap was clocked way back in 09. not bad for a 1.7kg boat. plus it was run on stock tyres
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3144508)   #684
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Me. I hate them. Ugly, artificial and boring.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3144514)   #685
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Who wouldn't want a GTR, one of the Fastest Production cars on the planet all under 200k for the 2012 model.

Nurburgring lap times

GTR: 7:29
GT3 RS: 7:33

Japanese technology people are Aliens! and that lap was clocked way back in 09. not bad for a 1.7kg boat. plus it was run on stock tyres
Everyone has their own prefrences. Yours is a GTR, mine is not.

I think you left out the GT2 RSs time btw (probably deliberatly)
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3144515)   #686
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Me. I hate them. Ugly, artificial and boring.

lol yeah I agree in the highlited part, but they are far from boring. if rumours were right, it (12-13 model) will match an Aventador in straightline speed.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3144519)   #687
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
But its all done with computers. They went racing and had to change the entire driveline.
Sorry. It I just rate them at all. Oh and price isn't a good guideline, bet they don't make a cent in them
Old 1 Oct 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3144531)   #688
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Everyone has their own prefrences. Yours is a GTR, mine is not.

I think you left out the GT2 RSs time btw (probably deliberatly)
yup as I did for the latest 12 model GTR's one
Old 1 Oct 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3144539)   #689
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
yup as I did for the latest 12 model GTR's one
You are aware opinions on what someone likes cant be wrong, right?

I never once stated that the GT3 is faster than the GTR (because i know it isn't) I simply said what i'd rather own

Regardless of comparing different years (next you'll be surprised that a VE SS owns a VB SL)
7:24 Porsche 911 GT2 RS (2010)
7:24.22 Nissan GTR (2011)
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3144563)   #690
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:

I never once stated that the GT3 is faster than the GTR (because i know it isn't) I simply said what i'd rather own

Regardless of comparing different years (next you'll be surprised that a VE SS owns a VB SL)
7:24 Porsche 911 GT2 RS (2010)
7:24.22 Nissan GTR (2011)
yeah and I was just comparing times with the GT3 and GTR and as you said ..

Quote:
you get what you pay for
my point is a car that outperforms most of the european Exoctics in almost every way bar top speed, surely is the best bang for buck on earth. Porsche have history and prestige, and when some new guys bring out a platform that blows all the competitors out of the water..their gonna look sour, Even Porsche complained they weren't telling the truth in the lap times they claimed to have done at the time, and so they drove around the track with the car even provided by Nissan themselves.

And so they took the car and did the "best" they could to try and match Nissans claim, obviously not going as quick as they can, to protect porsches image, (who likes losing in their very own backyard?)
And now you have a car that sells very well throughout the world. and it was officially timed at 0-100 km/hr in 2.8 secs...and thats why I would rather spend the money on a GTR (I Wish) just it's sheer acceleration numbers to say to the world I have the 2nd? "fastest car in the world", at the same time using it as a reliable daily driven car. best of both worlds Imo!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3144564)   #691
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is in direct contradiction to the rules of this forum! Opinions must be dissected, flamed, and never left unpunished.

I have had the privilege of driving both a GTR, a classic 911, and a new Porsche 911, and I just loved all of them for the unique things they bring to the driving experience. The new 911 turned the most heads of non-car people, but I felt just a privileged to be able to try each. I probably would take the new Porsche just for the luxurious feeling interior if I had the choice, but alas, I don't, and still drive a Mazda.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3144567)   #692
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
yeah and I was just comparing times with the GT3 and GTR and as you said ..

my point is a car that outperforms most of the european Exoctics in almost every way bar top speed, surely is the best bang for buck on earth. Porsche have history and prestige, and when some new guys bring out a platform that blows all the competitors out of the water..their gonna look sour, Even Porsche complained they weren't telling the truth in the lap times they claimed to have done at the time, and so they drove around the track with the car even provided by Nissan themselves.

And so they took the car and did the "best" they could to try and match Nissans claim, obviously not going as quick as they can, to protect porsches image, (who likes losing in their very own backyard?)
And now you have a car that sells very well throughout the world. and it was officially timed at 0-100 km/hr in 2.8 secs...and thats why I would rather spend the money on a GTR (I Wish) just it's sheer acceleration numbers to say to the world I have the 2nd? "fastest car in the world", at the same time using it as a reliable daily driven car. best of both worlds Imo!
Congrats.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3144571)   #693
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Congrats.
why thank you kind sir. glad you agreed with me
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3144574)   #694
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There has probably been an overstatement of the number of Group A cars that were available for sale in Australia. This is not meant as a criticism, Group A was may favourite era, and the rairty of the cars was one of the reasons I liked it.

A quick look at the cars that competed and weren't available here from the local dealers.

BMW 635csi
Volvo 240t
Mustang
Nissan Skyline Coupe (the 4 and 6 cylinder versions)
BMW M3
Sierra (XR4Ti & RS & RS500)
Mercedes 190E - 16v
Ford Capri
Isuzu Gemini

That's all I can think of off the top of my end.

But the Group C era also had many cars that were eligible to race that were never sold here.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3144576)   #695
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
why thank you kind sir. glad you agreed with me
I do not agree with you, because 'I' prefer a german made car. I just stopped the discussion there, because fanboys just go on and on.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3144580)   #696
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
I do not agree with you, because 'I' prefer a german made car. I just stopped the discussion there, because fanboys just go on and on.
wasn't my intention

back on topic, Group A was boring and brock was overated
Old 1 Oct 2012, 12:44 (Ref:3144605)   #697
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
back on topic, Group A was boring and brock was overated
Actually, that's not the topic. This one is 'The 4th manufacturer'. Modern Grp A is a separate topic. Not that I can tell the threads apart anymore.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3144607)   #698
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
BMW 635csi
Volvo 240t
I recognise that the Homologation specials were not available but the 635CSI, Volvo 242GT are two I believe were genuinely available, and I would suggest the 190e would qualify as well.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3144867)   #699
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I recognise that the Homologation specials were not available but the 635CSI, Volvo 242GT are two I believe were genuinely available, and I would suggest the 190e would qualify as well.
Capris and Geminis weren't Group As. They were de-tuned Group Cs that were grandfathered into early Group A to help grid numbers. And Geminis were certainly very widely available.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3144959)   #700
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 635csi was available and so was the Mercedes Benz 190E Cosworth. We even got the Maserati Bi Turbo and the little Fiat as well.

Also add the Audi 5+5

We all know GT-R's were sold via dealership 100 of them from memory.

All the others were private imports