Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3876508)   #676
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Pretty sure it was Sonauto
Sonauto? The invoice maybe but certainly the Maingret bros did the job. Do you remember the workshop to be near Swiss border or rather near Paris, with the Yamaha France building behind located at Saint Ouen l'Aumône?

After "the lucky you" award, I'll give the "bad luck Gonzo, we know you're a cheater" one. And the winner is another japanese company: Toyota. World Rallye Championship? Caught! Nascar? Caught! Carlos Sushi Ghosn? Not caught! Can someone tell those people to buy their restrictors and carbs in USD, GBP, Zlotis, Kopeks or even French Francs? And that when checking a diameter, no conversion on earth gives 1 millimeter = 20 centimeters! Please… c'on…
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3876509)   #677
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, John, remember this maybe?
https://motor-lifestyle.com/4x4/jule...4-de-montcorge
E.B, no caravan hook there but can it be interesting to the "rest of the world" eyes??
I dont recall losing a caravan..... I think you might be confusing it with my tale of the Mallory Park Radio 1 Funday back in the 70's where we had a track invasion of Bay City Rollers fans, and it also involved my journey to Earls Court that night, where the passage of time I cant remember if the trailer behind the flat bed transit with car had another car on it or whether it was our caravan.

Quite an amusing tale for those that might want a trip down 1975 Mallory memory lane.

It is on the forum here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...46&postcount=1

I do have a few tales of trailer mishaps, including a 130 kph complete 360 on the Hume Highway, heading to Winton from Melbourne, when one side of the A frame of my borrowed from my Father-in-Laws Farm trailer sheered, causing said swift loss of control and spin. I managed to keep the car and trailer facing in the right direction, and still moving in the right direction. However in the spin the ropes holding the car had mainly sheered, and as I pulled into the hard shoulder I could see in the mirror my Cortina at right angles across the trailer, hanging over the edge.

Amusingly as I was going up to Winton on a Friday night after work, I had been asked to give a complete stranger to me, but friend of a friend, a lift.... My friends were self employed types and had gone ahead in the afternoon leaving their helper without lift. He was a very quiet unassuming bloke in his 40's and clearly a very nervous passenger. He had just been commenting on how well my company car (a manual 5.0V8 Commodore SS) towed the trailer and car.
Immediately after I stopped the car, before I could ask if he was ok, he was out of the car, on his hands and knees throwing up. He never asked me for a lift home!

Fortunately a couple of fellow competitors saw me at the side of the road... they were a group of guys from a country town who raced a Morris Major Elite and were typical red necks..... they stopped, got out of their truck, surveyed the situation, my broken A frame and car across the trailer hanging over the edges, and announced they had just the thing to solve my problem. They went to the truck and reappeared with an eskie (that is a big ice box cooler) filled with beer and proceeded to have a few beers whilst planning what to do.

From the back of their truck after said beers, scaffolding tubes appeared and a group effort levering the Cortina back onto the trailer platform. Fortunately I had to remove the exhaust to get the car on the trailer.... the only damage to the car was a dent in one sill.

They then lashed up the A frame, and told me to drive slowly to the next town, about 20kms up the road. They gave me an address of a garage, told me to knock him up if he was closed, tell him the "Freddie and the Moe Boys" (Moe is the town they hailed from) had sent you and he would fix me up. I did as told. Said bloke, with the aid of some skilled cutting, plating, tubing and a lot of welding had it fixed and ready to continue in a couple of hours.

When I asked him how much he just said tell Fred he owes me a favour! I tried to give him something for his efforts but he just looked at me and said Dont offend me, any mate of Freddie's is a mate of mine.

Eventually arrived at the Farmers Arms at Benalla, our accomodation for the weekend at about 1.00 am. By the time I got to breakfast the guy I had given a lift was telling the others why we were late!

Last edited by E.B; 16 Jan 2019 at 15:04.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3876512)   #678
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Le Castellet starts on the 29th.
Phillip Island Classic 8-9-10th March 2019 ... Delta will be well into the season by then having 'done' NZ prior to arriving on our hallowed ground!
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3876518)   #679
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The thing that makes me laugh is that delta calls it work.....

Gerard, the workshop was close to Paris.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3876521)   #680
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Phillip Island Classic 8-9-10th March 2019 ... Delta will be well into the season by then having 'done' NZ prior to arriving on our hallowed ground!
I had an hour on simulator around PI last night. What a fantastic track.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3876523)   #681
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was in a Radical, the first right hander past pits I was flat and I mean flat.!!!!I did a 1.28.2.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3876527)   #682
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
'next' season has started for me - managed to watch most of the Dubai 24 Hours last weekend. At one point the top 3 were all different manufacturers and all still on the lead lap, good racing. Audi came through though, no fairytale ending this year.
'Next' season for me started on 1st January at Brooklands at their annual New Year get together followed by rally stage meeting this Saturday at Brands then back to Brooklands for the VSCC meeting on 27th January for the time trials and then Goodwood for the rally stage meeting in mid February. It's out there if you want to find it I have no time for depression having just moved home there's a million jobs to do both inside and out, I have no idea what happened to Christmas! Enjoying the mad antics of the Dakar competitors with the inimitable Carlton Kirby on Eurosport but I tried watching the formula milk floats at the Marrakesh race but gave up after 1 lap, my worst fears confirmed, they look and sound pathetic! Ok so it's not all historic but it floats my boat but then I am a petrolhead!

Last edited by justracing; 16 Jan 2019 at 16:30.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3876530)   #683
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Mike, near Paris means as you said Sonauto headquarters, former Porsche importer, then Yamaha both motorcycles and marine then Mitsu'. When all rallye raid business started moving big money, the Maingret bros went back to Pont de Vaux to built the protos. Only the engines were made in Japan. Sometimes, the two brothers sent a complete body to have it tested in the wind tunnel. Yes, those things can be very fast…
Old 16 Jan 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3876532)   #684
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
E.B the "your caravan" is a pure bad test french joke related to your four door Cortina! Only good to move the family for vacation, not for racing. Hence the caravan. Yes, I know, we are thick and have a lot of hicks or red necks here! Will improve on 2nd of April!

Another subject: any recommendation for a good coolant? With or without water? Iron bloc, iron head. Someone running a "B" told me his preparer doesn't recommend the waterless one… I'm not unhappy with a - 35° ready to use and always add an antileak just in case.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3876535)   #685
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I was in a Radical, the first right hander past pits I was flat and I mean flat.!!!!I did a 1.28.2.

Mr. Owen would no doubt suggest that it's the same in an FJ ...

Old 16 Jan 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3876537)   #686
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I dont recall losing a caravan..... I think you might be confusing it with my tale of the Mallory Park Radio 1 Funday back in the 70's where we had a track invasion of Bay City Rollers fans, and it also involved my journey to Earls Court that night, where the passage of time I cant remember if the trailer behind the flat bed transit with car had another car on it or whether it was our caravan.

Quite an amusing tale for those that might want a trip down 1975 Mallory memory lane.

It is on the forum here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...46&postcount=1

I do have a few tales of trailer mishaps, including a 130 kph complete 360 on the Hume Highway, heading to Winton from Melbourne, when one side of the A frame of my borrowed from my Father-in-Laws Farm trailer sheered, causing said swift loss of control and spin. I managed to keep the car and trailer facing in the right direction, and still moving in the right direction. However in the spin the ropes holding the car had mainly sheered, and as I pulled into the hard shoulder I could see in the mirror my Cortina at right angles across the trailer, hanging over the edge.

Amusingly as I was going up to Winton on a Friday night after work, I had been asked to give a complete stranger to me, but friend of a friend, a lift.... My friends were self employed types and had gone ahead in the afternoon leaving their helper without lift. He was a very quiet unassuming bloke in his 40's and clearly a very nervous passenger. He had just been commenting on how well my company car (a manual 5.0V8 Commodore SS) towed the trailer and car.
Immediately after I stopped the car, before I could ask if he was ok, he was out of the car, on his hands and knees throwing up. He never asked me for a lift home!

Fortunately a couple of fellow competitors saw me at the side of the road... they were a group of guys from a country town who raced a Morris Major Elite and were typical red necks..... they stopped, got out of their truck, surveyed the situation, my broken A frame and car across the trailer hanging over the edges, and announced they had just the thing to solve my problem. They went to the truck and reappeared with an eskie (that is a big ice box cooler) filled with beer and proceeded to have a few beers whilst planning what to do.

From the back of their truck after said beers, scaffolding tubes appeared and a group effort levering the Cortina back onto the trailer platform. Fortunately I had to remove the exhaust to get the car on the trailer.... the only damage to the car was a dent in one sill.

They then lashed up the A frame, and told me to drive slowly to the next town, about 20kms up the road. They gave me an address of a garage, told me to knock him up if he was closed, tell him the "Freddie and the Moe Boys" (Moe is the town they hailed from) had sent you and he would fix me up. I did as told. Said bloke, with the aid of some skilled cutting, plating, tubing and a lot of welding had it fixed and ready to continue in a couple of hours.

When I asked him how much he just said tell Fred he owes me a favour! I tried to give him something for his efforts but he just looked at me and said Dont offend me, any mate of Freddie's is a mate of mine.

Eventually arrived at the Farmers Arms at Benalla, our accomodation for the weekend at about 1.00 am. By the time I got to breakfast the guy I had given a lift was telling the others why we were late!
E.B. I was at Mallory Park for the Radio One Funday (it was my local circuit), it certainly was a memorable day and certainly the craziest race meeting I've ever been to!
It was great to read your recollections!
Old 16 Jan 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3876540)   #687
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Season starts on Saturday at Brands; Nikon in hand. Weather forecast getting more rally by the day !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 Jan 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3876543)   #688
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Mike, near Paris means as you said Sonauto headquarters, former Porsche importer, then Yamaha both motorcycles and marine then Mitsu'. When all rallye raid business started moving big money, the Maingret bros went back to Pont de Vaux to built the protos. Only the engines were made in Japan. Sometimes, the two brothers sent a complete body to have it tested in the wind tunnel. Yes, those things can be very fast…
Sounds right. Probably early ‘90s when we went there. To the outside world, they were ‘Ralliart’, same as we were, but in reality local sub-contractors. As the WRC team, we didn’t take the Rally Raid stuff too seriously, but the few of us that went to the workshop that day came away with big respect!
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:00 (Ref:3876544)   #689
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Thats seriously quick Iain....

The outright fastest ever in an F4000 is in the 24's.
The F5000's run about 1:30.
V8 Supercars 1:31 (Race, qualy a smidge quicker)
Fastest ever Radical lap is an SR8RX in 1.25.9294

MotoGP record is a low 1:28.

Lap records by category: (cars)https://www.phillipislandcircuit.com...D%20230518.pdf

Bikes: https://www.phillipislandcircuit.com...ke.Feb2018.pdf
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3876550)   #690
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had an hour on simulator around PI last night. What a fantastic track.
Simulator-what one?
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3876551)   #691
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
'Next' season for me started on 1st January at Brooklands at their annual New Year get together followed by rally stage meeting this Saturday at Brands then back to Brooklands for the VSCC meeting on 27th January for the time trials and then Goodwood for the rally stage meeting in mid February. It's out there if you want to find it I have no time for depression having just moved home there's a million jobs to do both inside and out, I have no idea what happened to Christmas! Enjoying the mad antics of the Dakar competitors with the inimitable Carlton Kirby on Eurosport but I tried watching the formula milk floats at the Marrakesh race but gave up after 1 lap, my worst fears confirmed, they look and sound pathetic! Ok so it's not all historic but it floats my boat but then I am a petrolhead!
Same with Formula E,tried for 2 laps and it was ridiculous,the racings boring because the circuits are pretty much one way only apar t from the corners.The cars are average looking and sound (what sound).
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3876553)   #692
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Season starts on Saturday at Brands; Nikon in hand. Weather forecast getting more rally by the day !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What cars are going,I dont know much about it?
Old 16 Jan 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3876554)   #693
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Winter Rally Stages- it’s on the BH website......
Old 16 Jan 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3876557)   #694
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Several pages without a certain model of car being mentioned! So for fans, see 4th car down on this website. Now that is rare...

https://www.milestoneclassics.co.uk/services
Old 16 Jan 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3876558)   #695
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Several pages without a certain model of car being mentioned! So for fans, see 4th car down on this website. Now that is rare...

https://www.milestoneclassics.co.uk/services
😃

Favourite looking for me is the Datsun.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3876559)   #696
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Winter Rally Stages- it’s on the BH website......
Cheers

5 Minutes later.

Looked at the entry ...

Escort,Minis,Imprezas,Evos etc.Good range.

Shame although my Mum,Dad,bro and now me have gone down with a cold.GREAT.I'm the last to get it...Not that would stop me fron going of course.haha
Old 16 Jan 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3876560)   #697
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, Acadiane or Sunbeam Talbot?
Old 16 Jan 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3876569)   #698
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike, Acadiane or Sunbeam Talbot?
I’d like the Citroen, although not quite as quick as the Superspeed.... The Rover P4 100 reminded me of when I was a pimply-youth apprentice. Our local Vicar had a 110 that we looked after, and I drove it on occasions. It was deceptively quick! Overhead inlet valves, side exhaust, if I remember correctly....
Old 16 Jan 2019, 22:49 (Ref:3876605)   #699
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't stretch to a simulator so have been sitting in on the NZ circuits' onboard vids on Youtube. It's surprising how much you can forget in 2 years. 2 weeks tomorrow Iain!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:14 (Ref:3876627)   #700
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Don’t forget to keep us informed on the appropriate race calendar threads, guys! We’re counting on you for some racing to talk about......