Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Aug 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2939286)   #701
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the Watkins Glen notebook, Dagys has some info on the dpg3 progress. Riley says their new cae has an 18 inch narrower greenhouse! That is a big difference. Also, he says new Riley chassis will cost $405,000. Also, 6 Corvette DP's could be on the grid at Daytona.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2939310)   #702
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Here's the link to John's article

What irks me is that there will be no generic bodywork option for either Dallara or Coyote, only Corvette-kits for both. So what we'll see at Daytona as far as new cars are concerned is "Riley vs Corvette"... Other than GM no manufacturer has so far announced brand specific bodywork...
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2939964)   #703
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to a post-WG SPEED Center blurb, those who've seen the rendering/model have said the Corvette DP3 looks good and looks a Corvette[1].

1. Yeah, yeah, yeah. They could all just be saying that because NASCAR is threatening to shoot a kitten or the orbital mind control lasers have zapped them.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2941785)   #704
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But how much will they decide the model needs to change between drawing and production? Release it now and let the fans see, plus seeing it could poach some teams if the price was right.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2941838)   #705
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I have a simple, and rather inexpensive, solution to this. For the "Corvette" DPs, just buy a load of Mosler MT900s, and do some lightening and aero additions. In GT3 form, the car really does resemble a mid-engined, racing Corvette, I think.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2942128)   #706
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I have a simple, and rather inexpensive, solution to this. For the "Corvette" DPs, just buy a load of Mosler MT900s, and do some lightening and aero additions. In GT3 form, the car really does resemble a mid-engined, racing Corvette, I think.
Psst, you were beaten to the punch like 7 years ago.

http://chasecompetition.com/page2.html

I think that car's highlight was the amatuer track reentry move that wiped out the RX8 at Miller.

That being said, it was a pretty attractive car all things considered.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2942322)   #707
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Psst, you were beaten to the punch like 7 years ago.

http://chasecompetition.com/page2.html

I think that car's highlight was the amatuer track reentry move that wiped out the RX8 at Miller.

That being said, it was a pretty attractive car all things considered.
I guess that's what happens when an architectural fencing artisan plays race car builder.

But if DPG4 is based around a cast iron chassis, Bob's your guy.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 04:03 (Ref:2943215)   #708
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Great to hear that Boris Said and aussie Owen Kelly are on pole in GT for this weekend's race in Montreal in the Marsh Corvette. Hope they have a great race and covert to a win.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2943306)   #709
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see the Mosler GT300 version come to Grand Am as a DP, since it's a tube chassis like the DP. With some aero changes, etc., I think it could be made into a very nice DP car.

Old 20 Aug 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2943406)   #710
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Great to hear that Boris Said and aussie Owen Kelly are on pole in GT for this weekend's race in Montreal in the Marsh Corvette. Hope they have a great race and covert to a win.
Bad luck again! Fastest car but no breaks!

DK
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2943574)   #711
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
I'd like to see the Mosler GT300 version come to Grand Am as a DP, since it's a tube chassis like the DP. With some aero changes, etc., I think it could be made into a very nice DP car.

Never thought I'd say this, but that would be a good looking DP! Its a pity it doesnt race in GT anymore, no idea if meets the current regs. With the GT category opening itself up to more GT3 based cars could a Mosler GT3 racer be viable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Bad luck again! Fastest car but no breaks!

DK
What a shame.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 06:45 (Ref:2943581)   #712
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great win by Gurney and Fogarty. Going to be a very interesting final race.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2943709)   #713
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think the Mosler raced at Sugo. Unfortunately, along with the Vemacs, I don't think it lasted all that long.

Good to hear that Gurney raked in another victory. It's been a bit dry this season for the Gainsco crew.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2945185)   #714
MBellRacing
Rookie

United States
San Mateo, CA
MBellRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I accidentally posted this in another section on the forum, figured it would be better suited here!

I finally put together two camera angles from a practice session before the Grand-Am CTSCC race at Laguna in the Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GS.R. We were experimenting with some odd damper changes which caused the car to have sort of a rhythmic jounce between oversteer and understeer. If turn-in or power-down was mistimed, the car would lose grip very quickly! This is what happened at the end of the video where I spun. I had actually had just passed my brother in the 128i which added insult to injury-- didn't stop hearing about how he willed me into spinning for weeks! Either way, the team was very close on the setup and an evolution of the one in the video is what won us pole and gave us our second consecutive race win!

Anyway, this is the first time I've made a video from an entire driving session. I know it's not qualifying or a race, but I never post my fast laps and we didn't have these camera angles during the race.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvaXMKgbHY

-Matt Bell
Driver, Stevenson Motorsport
Old 24 Aug 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2945255)   #715
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Funny there is more talk here about "possibilities" and "potentials" with very little about the GA on track activities.

I just finished the Montreal race a view minutes ago (a perk of being self employed and being able to multitask) and with the exception of a NASCAR official standing in a perilous spot at the end of pit road, I saw that there wasn't much new to see with DP racing/coverage; late caution, talk about the greatness of the series and the dreaminess Pruett and the 01 and how they were "off" this weekend.

Good to see the Bob Stallings/Gainsco team in victory lane. I mean, the Red Dragon. GT finish was actually pretty good in that blanket could have covered the podium at the finish line.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2945295)   #716
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Funny there is more talk here about "possibilities" and "potentials" with very little about the GA on track activities.
True. There is enough interest here to have 700+ posts on GA this year, but as far as dedicated race threads go.....nobody has felt the need to start one (outside of Daytona).
Old 24 Aug 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2945299)   #717
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
My opinion is that people are interested in what Grand Am's future will be, and what the new direction will be (particularly given the direction of the ALMS?). Some watch races, maybe a few when they can, but don't follow the series passionately, or care enough to comment much. I watch bits here and there, but it just doesn't hold my interest. Maybe the upcoming changes will change my behaviour.. maybe not.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2945311)   #718
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well at the start of the year when Daytona was just finished I said there was really no reason to be bothered with GA for the next 12 months or so - as usual - but for some reason (boredom?) I did catch Barber, Virginia and Road America. Quite decent races alright but with prototype field so unspectacular and GT battles so forgettable there really was nothing to write home about, apart from the infamous Camaro crash @ RA.

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Aug 2011 at 20:18.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2945361)   #719
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBellRacing View Post
I accidentally posted this in another section on the forum, figured it would be better suited here!

I finally put together two camera angles from a practice session before the Grand-Am CTSCC race at Laguna in the Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GS.R. We were experimenting with some odd damper changes which caused the car to have sort of a rhythmic jounce between oversteer and understeer. If turn-in or power-down was mistimed, the car would lose grip very quickly! This is what happened at the end of the video where I spun. I had actually had just passed my brother in the 128i which added insult to injury-- didn't stop hearing about how he willed me into spinning for weeks! Either way, the team was very close on the setup and an evolution of the one in the video is what won us pole and gave us our second consecutive race win!

Anyway, this is the first time I've made a video from an entire driving session. I know it's not qualifying or a race, but I never post my fast laps and we didn't have these camera angles during the race.

Enjoy.

-Matt Bell
Heh, I was just watching this race last night.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2945413)   #720
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBellRacing View Post

Enjoy.

-Matt Bell
Skipped over this one when I made my previous comment; my bad. This is some good on track action.

Really sawing at it in there Matt! Good stuff! Love the Camaros and thanks for sharing some of the action, in an up close and personal way.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2945761)   #721
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Well at the start of the year when Daytona was just finished I said there was really no reason to be bothered with GA for the next 12 months or so - as usual - but for some reason (boredom?) I did catch Barber, Virginia and Road America. Quite decent races alright but with prototype field so unspectacular and GT battles so forgettable there really was nothing to write home about, apart from the infamous Camaro crash @ RA.
To be fair, if not for the GT class in the ALMS, how spectacular and unforgettable would the ALMS races this year have been other than Road America and Sebring?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2945770)   #722
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
My opinion is that people are interested in what Grand Am's future will be, and what the new direction will be (particularly given the direction of the ALMS?). Some watch races, maybe a few when they can, but don't follow the series passionately, or care enough to comment much. I watch bits here and there, but it just doesn't hold my interest. Maybe the upcoming changes will change my behaviour.. maybe not.
I think that is a fair assessment. I fall into the category of people who might watch a race if I catch it on, but don't make any effort to turn one on. I don't know if the new series changes will make me interested. Basically DP is just keeping (more or less) the same technology, and changing the shapes of the cars. It actually reminds me of the latest episode of Top Gear (USA) where they had a Pontiac Fierro that was outfitted with Ferrari 308 inspired bodywork. Sure the car looked better than the Pontiac, but it was no Ferrari. And just like we were told as children "it is what's on the inside that counts"
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2945795)   #723
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
There should be some technological advancements with the new DP's, but not a lot... I think different brake options for example..
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2945809)   #724
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
There should be some technological advancements with the new DP's, but not a lot... I think different brake options for example..
Yes, and there were a few other "new" technologies that can be used. To me, one of the issues with DP's is that they are basically a spec class. I know there are different chassis but there are a lot of spec parts. I think it is akin to the new Indycar rules with a spec chassis, but different engine options, and different aero kits.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2945821)   #725
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Not a big fan of spec classes either... but then which spec category in North America do you like the most? The IRL brand spec, the looks a bit different, all the same underneath spec of Grand Am, the NASCAR spec, or the ALMS Lola P1 category spec, the LMP-C spec, or the GT-C spec?