2 28 14.29%
1 33 16.84%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2652029)   #51
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
0, I fell asleep and now feel like an idiot.
It would have been a 10 if we had refueling.
It's nothing to do with refuelling. It's to do with the design of the cars such that they can't follow each other. That's the problem. Overtaking should be on the track, not in the pits.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2652030)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post

Boring track with pointless new section, boring acres of runoff, boring sand, boring tyres, boring racing, boring winner.
Well, at least the 'new section' wasn't boring.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2652039)   #53
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Down here in Oz Grands Prix are mostly in our night time. Not a good spectacle, not a good race - I couldn't stay awake zzzzzzzzzz

It can only get better from here you'd hope.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2652042)   #54
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet again changes to encourage overtaking, yet again it doesn't work. Boring I'm afraid. Glad I'm at Oulton Park in less than two weeks.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2652068)   #55
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Just watched the Bahrain GP and what a wasted afternoon.

This is the 60th anniverary of F1, and they assembled all the living Champions at Bahrain to mark the event. Some drove their old cars in demonstration laps, some drove even more historic cars like the MB W125. That one was David Coultard, who is a commentator for BBC F1. What coverage did we have of that? About 5 seconds, of the champions or the C125, and David was asked one question about his drive.

F1 is nothing without its history and now it's nothing anyway.
John
thats interesting - there was no mention of the demonstration laps on the coverage we got here in NZ, and it sounds like no one else saw much of that either. Which begs the question, if the demonstration was not destined for the TV audience, then was it done solely for the 200 strong crowd that turned up to watch the race live?!!!

A relatively dull race I thought that did not live up to the pre season hype, but I guess that was always going to happen. I'll give it 5, just because of the new faces and cars on the grid.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2652131)   #56
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, at least the 'new section' wasn't boring.
Pointless and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersboy View Post
Glad I'm at Oulton Park in less than two weeks.
My thoughts exactly, apart from one week later (I think) for F3/GT! I watch F1 at any Tilke circuit and think "I could do that, what would I have to to lose?". Fair enough, I'd be complete rubbish if I could even get the thing out of the pits and my neck would probably snap after a few corners. But even watching weedy 200-odd-HP F3 cars at a proper circuit like Oulton Park, I still get the sense of awe, of "how the hell can they do that?" I had when I first discovered motor racing. It's a pity that for many potential fans motorsport is F1, and they automatically write it off as boring when they see a processional race at somewhere as soulless as Sakhir.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2652146)   #57
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
It's nothing to do with refuelling. It's to do with the design of the cars such that they can't follow each other. That's the problem. Overtaking should be on the track, not in the pits.
I quite agree.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2652155)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's more that refuelling wasn't there as a back-up to provide some positional changes and general interest rather than causing the problem of overtaking itself. It's not the fault of the refuelling ban we had less overtaking but it's partly the fault of the refuelling ban that we had a poor race

It's got nothing to do with the circuit either
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2652163)   #59
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
What do people think the changes are needed to the cars? As I recall over the last few years, people have called for the following...

Ban grooved tyres - move to slicks - done.
Ban all aero extremities - done.
Limit endless testing to reduce relentless development - done

All the above were supposed to improve the racing, yet the overtaking/car following problem remains and we have ingenious designers starting to nail extra bits onto cars.

On the subject of the track,circuits like Bahrain are the best advert for the traditional circuits back in Europe where they pack in crowds of enthusiastic fans, are colourful and a spectacle in themselves. When will they realise that empty grandstands and souless venues look bad on TV and don't represent F1 well?
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2652165)   #60
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recorded it and watched it this afternoon. Nodded off 2 or 3 times, rewound to bit I remembered, nodded off again.

Lots of pre race hype and story lines but result was so boring. Not racing as far as i'm concerned.....................when does Moto GP start?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2652175)   #61
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That hasn't been exciting since 2006.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2652197)   #62
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sheer tedium.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2652217)   #63
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and more zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

But, well done to Alonso!! cool and fast!

Roll on Melbourne - PLEASE!!!!

Spectators would be nice instead of sand.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2652226)   #64
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Did you see the V8 Supercar race form there 2 weeks ago? They proved it's a track with corner sequences that lend itslef to good racing.
Nope, I really mean not bad for a F1 race at Bahrain
Old 14 Mar 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2652249)   #65
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
about as tepid as they come..... 2

(with the excitement of being the first race and all the interesting aspects that brings rescuing it from a 0)
Old 15 Mar 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2652268)   #66
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hardly a thriller, but not bad for Bahrain. I gave it a 4.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:27 (Ref:2652330)   #67
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dull track but at least the season has started. 5
Old 15 Mar 2010, 02:40 (Ref:2652333)   #68
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm praying they're not all like this. 3.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:23 (Ref:2652358)   #69
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
BAZzzzz c has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
3. Feeling generous 'cos they did all turn up and Shoey did good for a first time back after so long. My bugbear was the lack of the fuel stop. Massa said it ALL in his after-podium interview. " I was conserving fuel for the last 25-30 laps so didnt challenge.." etc. No doubt they ALL did that. !!! Ehat is this these days, A fast and furious RACE, or a bloody Club day Economy run.? Outrageous. These cars need fuel so why starve them.?? A plus though was the top of screen lap count. back to how it should always be. (lap)2/49, 3/49, 4/49, etc etc, not the way it's been for about three years where you were told laps reMAIning. (and then had to work out what lap we were on... nah, the race was a fizzer for me and after sitting up until 3.15 a.m., I was glad to get it done with.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:36 (Ref:2652363)   #70
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all this talk of "good for Bahrain/Tilke" - I thought we use to see a reasonable amount of overtaking at the end of the straights in Bahrain, or am I dreaming?

No hope in these cars.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 05:02 (Ref:2652368)   #71
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I heard Michael Schumacher commenting on his comeback that he made an okay start but you can only pass people during the race when they have a problem, I realised that we had better start waving the chequered flag at the end of the opening lap so that the championship is decided on ability.
It was bloody boring. That was driving, not racing. The Indy race was infinitely better as a spectacle, and it even had a red flag in the middle so the drivers could take a pee and the viewers could get a beer, or vice versa.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 05:37 (Ref:2652377)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It reminded me of one of those GPs in the mid '70s; I can't remember which one exactly, except John Watson was missing.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2652405)   #73
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3/10

The circuit is ok and I don't want to blame missing action on the layout.
First off, it was good that we got rid of fuel stops but this was only a half hearted attempt to get rid of pitstops as a tactical element. The still allowed tire change forces all other drivers to come in as soon as the first made his stop.

There are just two possibilities from here, from my point of view anyway. One is that bridgestone has to deliver tires that make the race distance or multiple tire manufacturers get allowed again so that there is competition on that front to avoid the one comes in and everyone follows. This could produce interesting races like Mexico 1986 too.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2652406)   #74
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What a Pile of DULL Over hyped Crap. Roll on MotoGP.

As Schumi said it was impossible to pass - so why have the series, UTTER TOSH. Hardly WTCC or BTCC - christ at least cars pass each other with daring overtakes.

Back to the recorder and watching this Rubbish in 30 min tops.

The need V10's so they are ALOT harder to drive (cars exactly the same bar 950 vs 720bhp.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2652441)   #75
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'd give it a solid seven though I think that might partly be down to the fact that it was the first Grand Prix of the season. The major worry was that Schumacher, Webber and Button drove around in formation for so long, seemingly unable to chance an overtake.

Roll on Melbourne.
Closed Thread