Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Dec 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2351721)   #51
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if there is any prospect of a return to a 'proper' (or at least a better) RAC if the event ends up in the IRC during its alternate years when it is not in the WRC?

The experience of the Monte Carlo suggest that the IRC format allows more proper rallying with the event covering real distances and several night stages. I doubt if they'll shorten Turini because of a bit of ice!
Old 10 Dec 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2351823)   #52
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did not/could not run on studded tyres on the public highway. They ran using tyres with chunkier patterns. Also more "remote" servicing was allowed (as Andy97 says)

I am not saying I am a fan of the modern format, just that is the way it is now. So lets make the best of what we have got.

I too used to follow the rally all over the country and thoroughly enjoyed it, but times change. Not always for the better though.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2353477)   #53
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sadly I suspect we can never run the Rally GB around the country again. The infrastructure built up in the 70s and 80s to run in the Lakes, Kielder, SW Scotland and Yorkshire has gone and clubs have tended to more away from rallying anyway.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2353918)   #54
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason they cancelled and shortened the stages on Friday had nothing to do with the drivability of the course for the drivers. It was the conditions for the safety personnel and ambulances that made them cancelled the stages.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 23:45 (Ref:2353923)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But these weren't unprecedented conditions for a rally. Aren't these people prepared or something?

I am going to tear my hair out now.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 00:49 (Ref:2353946)   #56
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to disagree with you on that one (the eye) whilst stages were marginal for safety crews, some of the two wheel drive cars had to be helped through stage 1 and 3 (the ones cancelled) by the Land Rovers. Loeb went off on the recce, so what makes you think it was safe for the the top competitors?

Please read drivers comments on various news/websites I have yet to see one where the drivers said that the conditions were not a problem. Given the tyres they had to use.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2354105)   #57
Monstersuzuki
Rookie

Wales
Aberhonddu
Monstersuzuki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is cos the drivers are wimps incapable of driving in changing or different conditions than usual! it is Rally GB if there wasn't ice in december I would be worried!