Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Jul 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3279779)   #51
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXclasschamp View Post
It's an old, uncompetitive chassis that I don't think is eligible for any grandfathering anyway and spares are pretty much nonexistant, so I'd doubt you'd see much from it.
Tell that to Rebellion
Old 20 Jul 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3279782)   #52
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!

I can't believe they've COMPLETELY RUINED turn 2!!!

Now I expect to see protos making silly moves around the outside of lapped cars there.

Qualifying has barely started and they already struggle to keep the cars within the bounds of the circuit. For f.. sake! How hard was it to leave a narrow strip of gravel/grass between the track and the asphalted run-off?!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3279787)   #53
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"How hard was it to leave a narrow strip of gravel/grass between the track and the asphalted run-off?!:"

Not as hard as attracting NASCAR money without it.

For the record, I wholly agree with you and wholly disagree with the over-sanitization of the track. I want to see if Race Control really calls anyone for running off the track.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3279793)   #54
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edwards already lost his fast quali lap for four wheels outside the line at T1.

In the race though... we'll see.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3279799)   #55
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I thought NASCAR would have learned after those multiple, hard impacts at Watkins Glen in 2011. The tarmac doesn't do squat to slow them down if braking is compromised. I've also seen guys nail the inside walls on the back straights at the speedways, and it looked like they had powered all the way in, which they could only do to anywhere near that extent because of the tarmac there.

Gravel traps, done right, arrest the cars, and do NOT produce an inordinant number of roll-overs, not by a long shot! The tarmac just strikes me as a convenience issue, which doesn't actually end up being that convenient, because guys do more stupid stuff and Race Control has to do a heck of a lot more adjudicating (if they're doing their job thoroughly, that is).
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3279800)   #56
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
But it's completely beyond me why would you create such trouble for yourself after seeing what kind of can of worms similar 'improvements' opened for circuits like Silverstone and Watkins Glen... not to mention multiple issues in F1.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3279801)   #57
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Big hit for the #3 Vette coming out of T3.

Congrats to Viper on securing their first GT pole.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:13 (Ref:3279805)   #58
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why didn't they pave the outside of Turn 3?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3279808)   #59
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If you lose control, tarmac is NOT going to save your butt!

They also don't have as much run-out on the exit of that corner compared to some of the others.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:23 (Ref:3279809)   #60
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
The bad thing about tarmac, is that you DON'T lose control if you push too hard.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3279811)   #61
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn, that's two cars off at Turn 3 now (#52 PC).

On another note, I have no doubt that Colin Braun will be one of the stars of LMP1 or LMP2 in the near future. He is just incredibly fast and has consistency to win races too!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3279813)   #62
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Why don't they just pave the entire track with the more durable asphalt (if they're doing a full repave), so you DON'T have that variable-grip issue?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3279814)   #63
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Why don't they just pave the entire track with the more durable asphalt (if they're doing a full repave), so you DON'T have that variable-grip issue?
My guess is either that they didn't have enough time to do the whole track before ALMS came or that the track organizer doesn't have enough money to do so.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3279817)   #64
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, how come Mags was docked his fastest lap since he caused the red in GT, but the 52 caused the red flag yet gets pole position in PC?
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3279820)   #65
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Wait, how come Mags was docked his fastest lap since he caused the red in GT, but the 52 caused the red flag yet gets pole position in PC?
PC quali didn't make the 10-minute mark so the whole session gets tossed out and they line up based on points coming into the event. GT quali made the 10-minute mark so the times stand.

Yeah, I know.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3279821)   #66
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I really cannot stand how the HPD P2 motor sounds.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3279822)   #67
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I actually like it. Reminds me of those old turbocharged Porsches. A breath of fresh air in a whole herd of flat-plane V8s.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3279824)   #68
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Word uninspiring comes to mind.

I also can't stand seeing Level 5. Winning or losing.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3279827)   #69
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
It just doesn't rev high enough and sounds so dull. I'm not sure what it revs to but it sounds like they shift at what seems like 4,500.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3279830)   #70
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully tomorrow's race goes off safely with no serious accidents. Right now I'm guessing there will be a few cautions.

Surprised to see Falken, CORE, AJR and Paul Miller as far off pace as they are. Usually Porsches and Ferraris are pretty quick at Mosport.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3279831)   #71
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From Corvette Racing:
Quote:
Jan has been evaluated and released from track medical.
Good to hear.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3279834)   #72
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Big hit for the #3 Vette coming out of T3.

Congrats to Viper on securing their first GT pole.
Yep, Jan hit pretty good at the exit of 3, good to hear he is ok! Car will be right for tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkMog...ature=youtu.be

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3279835)   #73
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Hopefully tomorrow's race goes off safely with no serious accidents. Right now I'm guessing there will be a few cautions.

Surprised to see Falken, CORE, AJR and Paul Miller as far off pace as they are. Usually Porsches and Ferraris are pretty quick at Mosport.
Those are pretty old Porsches by now though... and isn't it the case that there's no further development of the 997 this year in the face of the coming 991?

As for the Ferrari - not many others in the series to work with on development? And not exactly the fastest Ferrari team to begin with? Their first year with the car? Just a few thoughts...
Old 20 Jul 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3279836)   #74
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Those are pretty old Porsches by now though... and isn't it the case that there's no further development of the 997 this year in the face of the coming 991?

As for the Ferrari - not many others in the series to work with on development? And not exactly the fastest Ferrari team to begin with? Their first year with the car? Just a few thoughts...
All of them have been pretty close to the pace of the Vettes and Beemers so far this year, so still a bit of a surprise.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3279843)   #75
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Congratulations to Viper on their first pole! Jonathan put in one heck of a lap and is really proving over the course of this year that he is perhaps the fastest driver on the team, and extremely underrated, at that. I mean, when you beat the likes of The Goose and Mags, you know you're something special. I'm glad to hear Mags is OK. I haven't seen the crash but I've heard about it; even though Viper is racing against the enemy (Corvette ), I don't like to see things like that happen. The Porsche's are really struggling, especially the CORE Porsche. I expected a bit more pace out of them. And without Risi at Mosport (or CTMP, whatever you prefer), Ferrari, as a group, doesn't have much to shout about. I'm also glad to see the BMW's locked out of the first row (sorry, John!). It's nice to have a mix-up in GT every once in a while, and I think this is going to be the classic Corvette vs. Viper battle for the win we've been wanting since the start of this year but haven't really got.

This is going to be one hell of a race, and a bit nostalgic, too, as the USCR and NASCAR seem to have decided to ignore Canada altogether.

I'm also glad to see Jeroen back up at the front - the team has been struggling a bit recently and it's good to see they are back in contention. I have a feeling it'll be a Bleekemolen-Pumpelly-Edwards battle for the win at the end of the race.

In LMP1, well, nothing new...