Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 May 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2880440)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The footage...

It all seems to be a big play up for the media, to get the car on the teev, or in the press, and highlight Danny Green's title fight...

Was wondering the safety protocol of Mr Percat and Mr Tander walking up the pit lane in the fast line (i.e. over the white line) while cars were still travelling up it at speed...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 May 2011, 01:30 (Ref:2880452)   #52
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The footage...
Was wondering the safety protocol of Mr Percat and Mr Tander walking up the pit lane in the fast line (i.e. over the white line) while cars were still travelling up it at speed...
Ah yeah except they were not doing that. The fast lane white line was (just) between them and the pit wall. The fast line line is the outer (closer to pit wall) of the lines in that pit lane.
Old 15 May 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2880457)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 May 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2880460)   #54
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So Garth right on the line by the look of it - wonder if a tennis umpire would call that in or out?

Cars heading back up pit lane back to the paddock well after the race finish so they'd be doing 40kmh if that and threading the needle through all the other teams too.
Old 15 May 2011, 04:55 (Ref:2880461)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im calling it out.

does it matter once the race has been called and why doesnt Gt have a fireproof suit on if it does
Old 15 May 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2880463)   #56
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Garth weighed up the dangers.
Let Nick walk alone near a thug who is making personal threats or walk next to a race car doing 40km/h driven in a professional manner.

Nice attempt at trying to dirvert attention from the real problem anyway...
Old 15 May 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2880469)   #57
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Morris is definitely in the wrong on this one. Should have his license endorsed for unsportsmanlike behavior.

A bit of banter or rivalry is great, but threatening to kill people and keep them from finishing any race, plus trying to actively hit them on track, that's a bit much.
Old 15 May 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2880472)   #58
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought GT, summed it up very nicely.
Old 15 May 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2880475)   #59
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I thought GT, summed it up very nicely.
I thought he was pretty restrained really, I bet his blood was boiling after seeing what had happened to his enduro co-driver.

It does make me wonder what someone would have to do to get excluded from a CAMS sanctioned race series? Surely attitudes like the one that PM has bring the sport into disrepute, espescially when the guy he took out hadn't really done anything wrong.

Gotta agree with GT though, PM needs to realise he isn't competitive at all so he should just give it up and leave the spots in Fv8's open for people without that kind of attitude.
Old 15 May 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2880478)   #60
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the dude need's to retire from circuit racing and concentrate more on his sprintcar racing.
Old 15 May 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2880480)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Notice someone smiling in a red HRT outfit in the 2nd shot?

And a smile...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 May 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2880558)   #62
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see Nick smiling, what's your point?

Question is. Is Garth smiling/laughing with Morris, or at Morris?

Maybe Nick could hire Longhurst as his personal bodyguard
Old 15 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2880576)   #63
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
I'm trying to imagine what Garth would have said, but I imagine it's something along the lines of:

"If he punches like he drives I probably should be more worried than you"

Old 15 May 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2880845)   #64
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
"If he punches like he drives I probably should be more worried than you"

gold
Old 15 May 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2880848)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Maybe Nick could hire Longhurst as his personal bodyguard
That's what makes it interesting. Mr Percat looks like he just sucked a lemon, while Mr Tander seems to be laughing at the situation....

If you didnt know any better, it could be said this was a Holden Motorsport plot to get their young charge some teev time, to put pressure on him to come back from adversity to win the title...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 May 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2880869)   #66
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tander's grin is probably more to do with his opinions on how big of a tool Morris is.

Not sure why Morris can get away with planning to take out a competitor, letting the world know and then doing it. Laugh it off, then expect him to do it again.

The best bit of footage in all this was watching Ingall laugh at his boss land in the sand :-)
Old 16 May 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2880893)   #67
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
All the smiling is just the way these guys won't show that someone hasn't got to them - just laughing it off. Nick probably still too new to be able to do it easily.

Could also be that they really were just play acting but who knows when the Dude is involved.

Been a couple of long term drivers who have been very, very good at it - could hurl a lot at each other in public but be smiling as they did it and from a distance you'd never know they were going at it.
Old 16 May 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2880920)   #68
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The days of "what happens on the field/track, stays there" are long gone as far as the courts are concerned. Morris would do well to keep his trap shut, especially in front of the cameras. If the incident were to escalate into a serious injury, there would be a good case against him with his tough guy actions and statements. I am thinking that daddy would be having a good chat with his boneheaded son, to save having a huge legal bill.
Old 16 May 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2880921)   #69
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the cars negotiate around the spinning Percat shows Morris' antics could have caused some big dollar repairs.... how pleased would everyone have been then?
Old 16 May 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2880970)   #70
padba05
Rookie

padba05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watch these races, really was all pretty amazing what happen with Morris and Percat, and out of all that I thought Moffats commentary was excellent.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2880984)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
As an aside, which organisation owns the building the V8Supercar squad is based in?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 May 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2880992)   #72
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportradio.com.au/?p=755

from about minute 29....

Chief Steward Steve Chopping.....

worth a listen I think!!!
Old 16 May 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2881334)   #73
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Been a couple of long term drivers who have been very, very good at it - could hurl a lot at each other in public but be smiling as they did it and from a distance you'd never know they were going at it.
i think it was Peckstar or Pro who once posted a clip of Ingall and Murphy having a rather tense discussion just before/after a press conference, where they are seated at the microphones. You wouldn't know there was an issue unless you actually could hear what they were saying... which unfortunately for them you could
Old 17 May 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2881376)   #74
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
That's what makes it interesting. Mr Percat looks like he just sucked a lemon, while Mr Tander seems to be laughing at the situation....

If you didnt know any better, it could be said this was a Holden Motorsport plot to get their young charge some teev time, to put pressure on him to come back from adversity to win the title...
I had to find out the hard way in the motorsport business that there are plenty of type A egomaniac bald headed baboons that will intimidate, back stab, harass, call names, whatever it takes to get to you. And they'll single you out even if you don't want singled out, especially when there is pride, contracts and money at stake.

So you've got to find a way of dealing with it and especially with big barkers that bark a lot of noise, you have to find a way to hold your ground and not let people whizz on your territory.

In the video I saw it looked like Percat had poopy running down his leg, so he's got to find a middle line between looking whigged out and outright confrontation because I think Morris will toy with him until Percat puts a line in the sand.
Old 17 May 2011, 02:11 (Ref:2881405)   #75
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching it back again - I dont think Morris was really that rude. Reviewing the incidents, I had the following.

RACE 1
- Morris made a big move down the bottom - he came from a long way back, and it was aggressive, but I don't think they would have made contact had Percat noticed he was there. In the situation, Morris was committed and had no other options but to make contact when Percat tried to make the corner with his normal line - Percat could have yielded and avoided contact - it may have been soft but when playing for a title you need to know when and who to fight.
-Into T1 - Morris hard on McLaughlin's tail, gets about three hits from behind, lifting Morris' rear tyres and pushing them wide - Percat goes past the two of them - It then looks like PM tries to get the power down, buzzes the tyres - hit's percat's rear 1/4 (seems unintentional given he was loose anyway) and spins off into the dirt.
-On restart he finds Percat and holds him up a little when letting the field past then lets him go and tacks onto his tail. - I think he had a plan there but didn't actually excecute it.

RACE 2
Morris has tyre go down (almost sounds like days of thunder) and pits. Again, finds Percat on track and follows for a number of laps - at times appears to sacrifice his own speed to not hit Percat mid corner - particularly in the final turn.
Into T1 - Morris bumps Percat in much the same manner as was done to him in R1 - Only pushed him wide into the marbles (not off the track) and Percat spins basically just like Morris was going to in Race 1. - Plan from R1 excecuted

IMO - it looked plain and simply like a square up. He was only going to do exactly what was done to him. The fact that PM did hold him up for a couple of corners was rude, and that he did most of the above a lap down was very rude but in his position and if the upstart didn't make any form of acknowledgment of guilt - I'd probably do the same. Essentially Percat cost him a result in R1 - Being pre-meditated is nothing new - it just means that for once the general public knew about it and it made it more of a spectacle.

As a viewer I love this stuff - as a competitor it sucks, but essentially - If your driver ****es someone off, it's best to get that sorted before they hit the track again. That's more important in sedan's and when the ****ed off driver is an enforcer as anything can and does happen.