Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jul 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1967268)   #51
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
As a sprint car, it hasn't had to race against the R10 either.
Obviously. But the Peugeots simply aren't trying in LMS. It's a canter. At the Ring they stopped racing early on and concentrated on making sure they finished the 195th (and last scheduled lap) as close to the six hour mark as possible. We could see it a mile off because we partly base our strategy on the distance we think the Peugeots will travel - and I chuckled when I realised what they were up to.

I'm sure that in LMS they are focussed on not embarrassing the opposition too much. And the car is getting faster all the time.

I'm a huge fan of Audi's motorsport activities and have been for over 25 years (since I saw my first Quattro rally car). I've driven them exclusively for the last ten years and have massive brand loyalty, but even I can see that the Peugeot is an absolute monster of a car.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1967303)   #52
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svierge
Obviously. But the Peugeots simply aren't trying in LMS. It's a canter. the Peugeot is an absolute monster of a car.
Could not agree more... the Monza race was a strong proof of that, including the amazing recovery of the #8 car. Valencia and the Ring have been already stated here, nuff said on that. It was clear to everyone at La Sarthe that Peugeot was aiming at finishing, not at outright speed for 6 hours and go with a bang. In a race under 3 hours they would certainly be extremely hard to beat, even with traffic (watch again the Valencia race and compare it to Lime Rock or Utah), a "customer" like Henri could have a sweet revenge against the R10s.... They still have reliability homework to do but their deadline for that is June 2008.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1967705)   #53
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will see what the European P1s can do against the American factory P2s at Petit/Laguna. I am thinking the factory teams will have the advantage.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1967761)   #54
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Veering slightly off topic, but is anyone in a position to ask Andy Wallace how the RML Lola compares to the Dyson Porsche?
Old 21 Jul 2007, 01:05 (Ref:1968766)   #55
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting to read this thread.

Have to agree that Peugeot would demolish anything in the ALMS too......their speed on short twisty tracks is simply untouchable - to be pulling 2 secs on Shimoda/Johansson in a Zytek (imho the fastest petrol car/driver pairing out there at any track other than Le Mans) is proof of this. I expect Shimoda (if he goes) to be on the first row in qualy at Leguna/R. Atlanta, however he will be the first to tell you that would be row 2/3 at best if Pug were there.

Just had a silly idea - Dyson should run the Lowes 07S/2 from Le Mans alongside the RS Spider - I think it would be a bl**dy close run thing!!
Old 22 Jul 2007, 16:27 (Ref:1970225)   #56
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s

Have to agree that Peugeot would demolish anything in the ALMS too......their speed on short twisty tracks is simply untouchable - to be pulling 2 secs on Shimoda/Johansson in a Zytek (imho the fastest petrol car/driver pairing out there at any track other than Le Mans) is proof of this. I expect Shimoda (if he goes) to be on the first row in qualy at Leguna/R. Atlanta, however he will be the first to tell you that would be row 2/3 at best if Pug were there.

Just had a silly idea - Dyson should run the Lowes 07S/2 from Le Mans alongside the RS Spider - I think it would be a bl**dy close run thing!!
thats a good idea, i like it a lot another zytek is damn good news imo, especially since i think zytek secretly put machine guns in the exhausts for the backfire
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1970479)   #57
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Veering slightly off topic, but is anyone in a position to ask Andy Wallace how the RML Lola compares to the Dyson Porsche?
I really think that is THE BEST idea anyone has had in this or the LMP2 in ALMS threads. I would be very interested to know the differences in feeling in the car even though he prob hasn't had similar driving experiences in the 2 chassis. I have suggested in the Mid-Ohio round thread that the ALMS/IMSA or maybe even the ACO needs to help foot the bill for at least one and maybe 2 LMP2 cars to run a few races here and possibly, veering back to the topic, helping Peugeot bring at least one car to PLM to see again the differences between the 2 series supporting Le Mans and check if similar rules really are needed at each series.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1973207)   #58
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s

Untouchable by whom, other LMS teams? I've heard more than a couple of times now by those that race on both sides of the pond that the LMS teams aren't quite in the same league as the ALMS teams. (actually it wasn't worded that way, but I'm trying to be nice with the wording).
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1973270)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually think that the Peugeot wouldn't quite match the Audi in America. However for the reasons stated above they would be blummin' close, especially on pace. Audi has the race craft, whether that is a 24 hour race or a sprint race. Either way I'd be wary of being adamant about it.

However, I also suspect we won't get to find out either
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1973275)   #60
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Untouchable by whom, other LMS teams? I've heard more than a couple of times now by those that race on both sides of the pond that the LMS teams aren't quite in the same league as the ALMS teams. (actually it wasn't worded that way, but I'm trying to be nice with the wording).
No need to be nice!

Rephrase the middle section of your post to something akin to 'LMS teams aren't quite as well funded as ALMS teams' and you'll be considerably closer to reality.

Pescarolo are as good as their funding permits.........and the same can be said of the majority of European teams.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1973278)   #61
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dear Henri

Please come to the ALMS for a race or two. We would welcome you with open arms. If Petit doesn't look too appealing you could always come to Laguna Seca...

Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1973279)   #62
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
No need to be nice!

Rephrase the middle section of your post to something akin to 'LMS teams aren't quite as well funded as ALMS teams' and you'll be considerably closer to reality.

Pescarolo are as good as their funding permits.........and the same can be said of the majority of European teams.
In all seriousness, I think Pescarolo would do well here. They would certainly offer more competition than Cytosport, Intersport and Autocon. Which in my opinion, don't exactly measure up to many of the European P1 teams.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1973294)   #63
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
jhansen -

Then we would hear Henri complain about the pace of the Porsche and Acura P2 teams???

Yes there would be serious 6 way battle for 2nd, but if P2's won overall, something that Henri hasn't seen in person (I don't believe) would he complain that even his P1 gas cars are not as quick as the factory P2 cars?

In any case it would be nice for him to run here.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1973398)   #64
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Factory teams on eiither side's of the Atlanticmatch up pretty well, it just so happens the ALMS has more of them.

Then you have to ask yourselve's which series has the better privateer's, RML, Pescarolo, Creation, ORECA etc. vs RISI, PWL, Intersport etc.

Not much betwwen them I'd say, the LMS just needs a few more factory backed teams, the ALMS more privateer's.

Last edited by JAG; 25 Jul 2007 at 20:36.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1973423)   #65
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Factory teams on eiither side's of the Atlanticmatch up pretty well, it just so happens the ALMS has more of them.

Then you have to ask yourselve's which series has the better privateer's, RML, Pescarolo, Creation, ORECA etc. vs RISI, PWL, Intersport etc.

Not much betwwen them I'd say, the LMS just needs a few more factory backed teams, the ALMS more privateer's.
Well said.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 05:50 (Ref:1976875)   #66
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Well as they said in the Men and Motor's broadcast of the FIA Monza round, "there isn't a factory team" (pointing at Jet Alliance), "see there isn't another one" (pointing at Vitaphone) and "of course they aren't a factory team..." (with the winning AF Corse car on screen)

Raymond Naric is supported by the Porsche factory - case closed, just because he drives the car himself doesn't mean much, we all know who does the "lion's" share of the work.

So the lines between private teams and PRIVATE teams is often BLURRED and the really small private teams are well, several laps down by the half way point of most events, no matter how long or short they are...
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1977618)   #67
chewymonster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
jhansen -

Then we would hear Henri complain about the pace of the Porsche and Acura P2 teams???

Yes there would be serious 6 way battle for 2nd, but if P2's won overall, something that Henri hasn't seen in person (I don't believe) would he complain that even his P1 gas cars are not as quick as the factory P2 cars?

In any case it would be nice for him to run here.
I would love to see him be demolished by some factory P2 equipment. But of course, that would make his argument for the last couple of years a complete joke.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1977653)   #68
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
I would love to see him be demolished by some factory P2 equipment.
Why?

Quote:
But of course, that would make his argument for the last couple of years a complete joke.
Why?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1977660)   #69
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Because chewy doesn't want to see anything 'bad' happen to his favorite cars (the Audis)...
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1977689)   #70
chewymonster
Veteran

Because like dj4monie said "Henri complain about the pace of the Porsche and Acura P2 teams" which would mean that his previous arguments of ACO bias would be prooved worthless. And he would have to eat his words.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1977891)   #71
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Give me strength...................

Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1978187)   #72
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Because like dj4monie said "Henri complain about the pace of the Porsche and Acura P2 teams" which would mean that his previous arguments of ACO bias would be prooved worthless. And he would have to eat his words.
But then i have yet to notice Henri say anything about the P2 class...
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1978639)   #73
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Give me strength...................

Yep, I know what you mean.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1978652)   #74
chewymonster
Veteran

Quote:
But then i have yet to notice Henri say anything about the P2 class...
Because he has never raced a Porsche/Acura P2. If he came and got whooped by those teams, I am sure he would. But then again, he would have to stop his "diesel teams get advantage" argument.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1978665)   #75
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Because he has never raced a Porsche/Acura P2. If he came and got whooped by those teams, I am sure he would. But then again, he would have to stop his "diesel teams get advantage" argument.
If Henri got 'whooped' by Porsche or Acura at Le Mans, yes, I'm sure he'd have a great deal to say about it. But he knows as well as you do that the regulations are based on a car's performance at Le Mans. What happens on tighter circuits is irrelevant. And nor would a good 'whooping' from factory P2's in the ALMS affect in any way his stance towards the petrol diesel equivalency in LMP1.