Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Oct 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1744974)   #51
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well you didn't say it was behind you..! In any case why would you need to see 'through' them if they're behind you? Hey ho, whatever.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1744975)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
How in the name of **** can I keep my distance from a car that's BEHIND me????? Drive at freaking 100+????
Perhaps Craig was referencing your point about seeing through these vehicles?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1744998)   #53
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Doesn't matter how far you are behind them - you can't look several cars ahead if there's a 4x4. At least with vans they're usually doing 80 or so and lorries are limited at 56 so any problem is nugatory...and they're not usually in the outside lane...
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1745006)   #54
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Ah, so they are back in front of you again? Perhaps you should drop back a little and leave a little more space if you can't see 'through' them?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1745009)   #55
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How in the name of **** can I keep my distance from a car that's BEHIND me????? Drive at freaking 100+????

Slow down to the legal limit of 70mph and the offending vehicle will soon be past you and waaaaaaaay up the road....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1745028)   #56
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Ah, so they are back in front of you again? Perhaps you should drop back a little and leave a little more space if you can't see 'through' them?
If they're behind me they dazzle me...if they're ahead they obstruct the road...if they're doing 70 they're around me for ages...
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1745043)   #57
blackx
Veteran

England
There's just no pleasing some folk eh.....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1745051)   #58
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island

All they need to do is drive a proper car.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1745058)   #59
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
All they need to do is drive a proper car.

And why is a 4x4 NOT a proper car..

Please give us the benefit of your infinate wisdom...
Old 22 Oct 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1745064)   #60
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sounds like ensign has an irrational dislike of 4x4s. Could it be that we have Tony Blair posting on this site?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1745085)   #61
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
My dislike of 4x4 is very rational. The vast, vast majority are not used the way they are meant to be used. If you need a towing vehicle or offroad a lot, great; if you need to drop Tarquin and Isolde directly outside the school gate on a road that's 6' wide then you should be forced to drive an Isetta.

And if you're going to drive them at night, sort the bloody lights out. Or risk them being shot out by an irate armed ensign.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1745098)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right so apart from the generalised attack on an ordinary run of the mill vehicle you now suggest we give up our freedon of choice.

Muppet or Tony blair? Possibly both.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 22 Oct 2006 at 16:32.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1745259)   #63
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:

And if you're going to drive them at night, sort the bloody lights out. Or risk them being shot out by an irate armed ensign.

My lights are set perfectly for my vehicle to pass an MOT
The fact they may dazzle you is simply because you insist on driving dinky little vehicles that are sooooooooooooooooooooooo low down they are almost inconsequential......
Old 22 Oct 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1745305)   #64
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Right so apart from the generalised attack on an ordinary run of the mill vehicle you now suggest we give up our freedon of choice.
No, just suggesting that people who are not capable of driving a type of vehicle be forced to drive something they can handle.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1745354)   #65
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Are you talking about your (in)ability to drive at a sensible distance? I am confused?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1745367)   #66
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This week's battle between the 4x4 and micra in the local car park was won by the micra. The offence to be hooted at constantly? Nicking the parking space the other woman wanted. Ah well!

And for once I had even parked well....!!

Last edited by Suze; 22 Oct 2006 at 19:59.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1745383)   #67
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
And for once I had even parked well....!!
Let's hear it for Suze then, hip hip....

Old 22 Oct 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1745428)   #68
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bet that made up for the unfortunate decision to drive a Micra.

*runs and hides*
Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1745451)   #69
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not the best is it, but don't worry, car will be changed soon! Very soon...was all I could afford when I bought it in July and lowish mileage and best I'd found at that point, was fed up of looking at cars!

Always wanted something German!

Last edited by Suze; 22 Oct 2006 at 21:04.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1745454)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I have just towed a hundred miles back from Donington in my Chevy Blazer 4 x 4 (I prefer to call it an SUV) in awful conditions towing a ruddy great tri-axle Brian James trailer with a ruddy great big Camaro on the back of that. At the track I put the seats down and slept comfortably in the back and did the return journey for about 30 quid (autogas). Because of the weight of the vehicle by virtue of being a 4 x 4 its rated to tow 3800kgs and I feel very safe and stable towing with it. I love the vehicle and it doubles up as comfortable and economical everyday transport.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1745483)   #71
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Are you talking about your (in)ability to drive at a sensible distance? I am confused?
No, about the lack of ability of many people who drive 4x4s. The ones who drive them down roads unsuited for big vehicles because of the narrowness of the road. The ones who don't know how to get their lights adjusted so they do not dazzle traffic in front. You have pass a test to have an HGV licence, you ought to have to do the same either to have the right to tow or to drive a van-sized car.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1745516)   #72
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Most of these type of vehicles you can simply adjust the beams from within the car to comensate for when you are towing so its not the vehicles fault just the muppet driving them.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1745534)   #73
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
True. But if you cube their 4x4s they can't drive them. Better to cube the drivers, but given that our quisling police force won't let me bazooka middle lane hoggers I doubt that that would be acceptable.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1745801)   #74
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm my parents own and use a total of 4 4x4's. Glad you people don't know where they live...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1745924)   #75
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Also I'm a big fella not getting any younger and the old joints start playing up a bit and my previous car was an Omega and I found it so much easier to get in and out of the 4x4 and somehow it feels right, big guy, big car I would look bloody ridiculous in a Smart for example if I could even get in one of the horrible things :-)