Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2432077)   #51
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Williams cars both losing their dustbin lids off the left rear wheels!?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2432094)   #52
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
A largely uneventful session, as was the first. It looks like it is going be Brawn, Ferrari, Red Bull, and Williams fighting it out - with Toyota and BMW making up the Q3 numbers.

If Brawn are to repeat their qualy and race 1-2s, it looks like they are going to have to be on the top of their game.

At the end of P2 Kimi was getting some form of KERS warning, but whether this was due to something or just a precautionary thing after the P1 scenario is the question.

P1 the field covered by 2.2 seconds, with the top-10 covered by 0.7s; P2 the field covered by 2.2 seconds, with the top-10 covered by 0.7s.

That is impressive anywhere, but at a track as long as, and with a character like, Malaysia, well, that is impressive.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2432108)   #53
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
A largely uneventful session, as was the first. It looks like it is going be Brawn, Ferrari, Red Bull, and Williams fighting it out - with Toyota and BMW making up the Q3 numbers.

If Brawn are to repeat their qualy and race 1-2s, it looks like they are going to have to be on the top of their game.
I think Brawn were just concentrating on full tank (ish) running so I reckon they're still likely to be at the front of the grid.

Whilst Ferrari were quick, it looked to me from the footage that both drivers had their work cut out, the cars were quite a handful in fact. I'm not entirely sure they can carry that pace through to a race distance.

BMW didn't do anything, but i'm not buying it that they're that slow. The car 'didn't work' in Melbourne practice either before coming good in qualifying, so I think that will be repeated here.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2432138)   #54
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What I mean is that I doubt Brawn are going to be able to cruise and collect. They'll need to work for it.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2432149)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Possibly, but I reckon it might simply 'boil' down to temperatures. If that car can handle the heat in Sepang like the cooler Melbourne conditions then I reckon it'll be some time before they need to look to their laurels.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2432151)   #56
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, you may be right. Perhaps they will disappear into the sunset. I guess I just don't want it to be the case, so I might just be trying to convince myself otherwise.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2432154)   #57
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, you may be right. Perhaps they will disappear into the sunset. I guess I just don't want it to be the case, so I might just be trying to convince myself otherwise.
I don't think you are wrong. It could be another Brawn race - but equally likley at the moment is them and a few others facing a real fight.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2432162)   #58
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well, you may be right. Perhaps they will disappear into the sunset.
Was this meant to go in the other thread on twilight racing?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2432166)   #59
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Oh absolutely, me too!

I'd like to see things nice and tight for as long as possible (assuming Brawn aren't toying with the others as has been suggested!!) but at the same time I'd like to see them continue as an outright competitive force whoever steps up as closest challengers - may well be Ferrari this weekend!!

I hope that Red Bull, BMW and Toyota can continue their form as well, well at least 2 of them have been ok in practice!

Renault still appear to be struggling a bit?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2432261)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Well, the chances of Brawn locking out the front row have gone up in smoke.

Quote:
Rubens Barrichello will be given a five-place grid penalty at the Malaysian Grand Prix after needing a gearbox change following Friday's practice.
Source: www.autosport.com
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2432288)   #61
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Damn, there goes my crushing victory in the predictions competition...

Good to see that their car isn't quite bulletproof, though - being faster and more reliable than everybody else gives me scary flashbacks to the Ferrari dominance of a few years ago.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2432289)   #62
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
I'm going to stick myself into the armchair in front of the tele.
So if the wife wants to do even more shopping, she'll have to go herself.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2432305)   #63
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...s-in-top-five/
Quote:
"Every time you come in to the box it's like you've been in the shower," he explained. "Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in it which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"
classic from sebastian Vettel there, can be interpreted in so many ways, going straight to my signature.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2432307)   #64
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Damn, there goes my crushing victory in the predictions competition...
Perhaps but I woudnt be quite so sure, Brawn as we know is a master tactician and I have no doubt that Barrichello will be extremely competitve barring any further mechanical gremlins. It will be interesting to see where Barrichello qualifies tommorow, personally I woudnt be suprised if he was fuelled 1 or 2 laps lighter than Brawns main competition for his first stint.

Still it should make things interesting, personally im hoping for another repeat performance from Brawn this weekend.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2432340)   #65
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I did notice Kimi in FP2 when he was in his garage in his car he had the compressed air blower cooly thingies? And he wasnt cooling his face!

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2432346)   #66
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I did notice Kimi in FP2 when he was in his garage in his car he had the compressed air blower cooly thingies? And he wasnt cooling his face!
It's alright. He had a bottle of Smirnoff down his trousers.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2432528)   #67
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
I'm going to stick myself into the armchair in front of the tele.
So if the wife wants to do even more shopping, she'll have to go herself.
Ah I see... you could always try ordering your shopping online? It will be delivered with eggs smashed, biscuits crushed to crumbs, ice cream melted and light bulbs in pieces, but at least you won't miss the race!

So has anyone heard any reports from Ferrari about why Raikkonen's fire extinguisher went off on the back straight in FP1? The last I heard was that it was a KERS related issue.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2432834)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are you going to update the front page to reflect the latest final finishing order from Australia??

Meantime, who will win?? "Potsie" is quickish... a chance for a podium behind Mr Button?
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 3 Apr 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2432851)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Meantime, who will win?? "Potsie" is quickish... a chance for a podium behind Mr Button?
It looks like the Ferrari's and Red Bull's are going to be much closer this time.Of course the possibility of rain,mechanical failure,and stewards decisions make it well and truly anyones guess.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2432943)   #70
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

The final practice session is underway - no chance of rain in this session according to the local weather forecasters, but from looking at those dark clouds I wouldn't be so sure.

There's a 70% chance of heavy rain and storms for Qualifying.

PS: Good morning folks!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:05 (Ref:2432945)   #71
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Had a fight with my mind to wake up! I won... eventually after the 10th snooooze! :P

Noone coming to chat in room then?

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2432947)   #72
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

I know what you mean about the snooze button - it's my best friend and worst enemy! Sorry I can't make it into the chat room, I tried the last time but my firewall doesn't like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Anyway, I'm off for some shut-eye. Not going to bother with FP2 or FP3, so see you all for Qualifying!
Temptation got the better of me

Quite an impressive analogy from Ant about what it's like to race here... imagine running for an hour on a treadmill, while wearing a fleece and with the air conditioning switched off.

And there's a worry that the option tyre will last two laps in this heat
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2432949)   #73
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Sky looking pretty dark.. Question posted in chatroom... Has the Brawn had any running in the wet at all?

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2432951)   #74
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

No, Brawn haven't done a wet lap yet... but I won't be saying that come the end of qualifying! If the heavens open as they did on Thursday, there's no way that the session could go ahead.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2432952)   #75
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
What was up with Mclaren spray painting their tyre? Ted thinks its water? Looked like some sort of varnish? Ant says he has never seen it before... Bridgestone engineer also went over to ask what they were doing??

I'm definitely hairy.