Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Feb 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1515811)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to have a run out with the Pontaic, Small Block Chevy V8 (mine) Vs Big Block Pontiac (they make my car look a lightweight although same chassis), should be interesting!
Old 5 Feb 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1515835)   #52
superloonbeetle
Rookie

superloonbeetle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Al.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
An Historic car is an Historic car with or with out the historyonics and silly in fighting if you know what I mean and would be appreciated by like minded lovers of old cars :-).

I race in CTRCC and and I could not be bothered with all the FIA this and FIA that stuff and associated expenses (see other thread 'They want how much!') to race in other series (and my car is a 1971 model) but I still love old cars from my era when I was fixing them for the road or preparing them for the track.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1516435)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There maybe those who think Motor Racing for historics really only gathered momentum after the series of meetings sponsored by Coys at Silverstone, or later even, with the Goodwood Revival. In fact many clubs (in Britain, notably VSCC, HSCC, AMOC, JDC, MGCC, 750MC and others - my apologies for any omissions) had been involved in arranging such races much earlier and these, and even championships, were well established by the end of the 1970's.

After much trimming and enhancing over the weekend, to get a tolerably acceptable (I hope!) standard, there follows a few photos I took at the AMOC St John Horsfall meeting at Silverstone in June 1989. They all come from Race 9, the AMPEP Plc and SARMA (UK) Race for Pre war Sports cars. For obvious reasons, the entry contained mainly Astons, but there were cars from 3 other marques entered, one of which set the pace for almost the whole of the race. Here, you see that after only a couple of laps or so, 3 cars have left the rest of the field far behind. On the old Silverstone Club circuit exiting the chicane and entering Woodcote is the glorious sounding Maserati 8C of Chris Drake, followed by the Aston Speed model, known as the 'Red Dragon' driven by Geoff Bishop, and David Taylor's Aston Le Mans, soon to be dropped by the other two who had an almost race long dice:-

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Mar 2006 at 19:08.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1516440)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here the duel continues to rage:-

Unfortunately, within a lap or 2 of the end, I believe Drake spun out (it may have been mechanical failure - I cannot remember after all this time - I'll need to check!), under pressure from Bishop, as I see that I marked my programme as Bishop winning with Taylor second.

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Feb 2006 at 10:07.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1516442)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And what a rare beast this is, too! Roy Palmer's Squire Competition 2 seater:-

Old 6 Feb 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1516445)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And, finally, the oldest car in the race, even then 67 years old, the famous Aston, 'Green Pea' driven by Robert Murray:-

Old 6 Feb 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1516446)   #57
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three of my favorites from Goodwood 1999.

Goodwood 99

Bell F1

Birdcage
Old 6 Feb 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1516447)   #58
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those are great pictures!
Old 6 Feb 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1516449)   #59
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Wonderful, Nordic.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1516510)   #60
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Paul Haywood Halfpenny has been around for quite a time. I seem to remember him in a Corvette in the 70's and I think he might of brought Baby Bertha after Gerry Marshall had finished with it.
he used to race a hot rod Lotus Cortina a few years back, shared with Gerry. and built another which is in other hands doing Top Hat now
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1516543)   #61
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be getting dozy!

Just noticed this thread - chuffed to see my car on there...

....especially as i was so excited at actually taking part in my the Goodwood Revival, that i forgot to take any photos!

Thanks, John!

Great to see the other photos on here too. Bring them on!

Regards,

James W

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I thought I would celebrate the new forum by putting a few pictures on, starting with one raced by one of our regular posters, SZRacer:-

Taken in the paddock at last year's Goodwood Revival. Just click on the thumbnail.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1516564)   #62
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
James, I was wondering where you were; thought perhaps the picture wasn't to your liking!
Old 6 Feb 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1516568)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seeing as you've told me it qualifies, here's one taken by our own Paul Sands at Mallory Park last October.
Attached Thumbnails
pm1.jpg  

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 21 Feb 2006 at 08:41. Reason: Size is important
Old 6 Feb 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1516571)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great picture, Peter! Of course it qualifies; it certainly isn't by any stretch a contemporary car!
Old 7 Feb 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1517074)   #65
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I saw a MK1 Capri last week and it got me going again, I wish I'd kept mine. groovy baby appeals at the moment, flared race suit, tan brown velour Sparco Evo seat . . . .
Old 7 Feb 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1517552)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Here are John, my old beast before it went on the trailer.

Old 7 Feb 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1517626)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lovely old beast, Al ....... and the car's not bad either!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1517793)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're gonna have to loose some weight Al. Look how far down the driver's side is.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1517838)   #69
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I am on a diet to try and improve the Power/Weight thingy Peter, I weighed in at 20stone 4ib after Christmas (fat git I hear you all cry, I say big bones and muscle weigh more than fat) down to 19stone 7ibs but it is hard going. Oh the angle was probably more to do with the fact that with hardly any clutch I was overdriving into the corners (thats my excuse and I am sticking to it!)

I'll ignore your last post John if you don't mind .
Old 8 Feb 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1517852)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
I'll ignore your last post John if you don't mind .

Actually Al, aren't you going round a right hander, so you have an excuse for the lean (on the car that is!)?
Old 8 Feb 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1517882)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Right, 3 from the CSMA Classic Festival at Brands Hatch in May 2003. The first; one of my favourites, the BMW CSL of the late Tim Busby. Tim found time to talk about his car with me and my eldest son, on two or three occasions.

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Feb 2006 at 09:57.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1517889)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pete Halford's Mustang:-

Old 8 Feb 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1517890)   #73
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Talbot Sunbeams of Ian Wallace (73) and Daniel Nash (82):-

Apologies for the slightly 'washed out' appearance of the pictures; I don't claim quality; just trying to create a flavour!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1517908)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
......................the late Tim Busby. Tim found time to talk about his car with me and my eldest son, on two or three occasions.
Yes Tim was one of the sport's gentlemen. I believe the car is now owned by Nick Whale.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1517914)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Another then!

Is Nick likely to bring it out this coming season, does anyone lnow?