Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:52 (Ref:646839)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only reason I thought he was brake testing was in the lastr corner where first DC anf then later MS both had to get out of the throttle on the apex of the corner. It was quite dramatic.

DC was his own worst enemy. To throw away his place on the basis of a point at that stage of the race was plain daft. Glad he wasn't hurt though.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:54 (Ref:646841)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the teev it looked like Alonso had shagged brakes, and that the Michelins were well past their best....

Coulthard was the following driver, and was a lot faster on his approach to that corner than in previous laps, there would likely have been a prang anyway, as Coulthard couldnt have taken the left right without doing some grass cutting, which likely would have hurt the car, and/or required a stop/go....

The closing lap with Schuey in front suggested something more sinister than a brake issue, the tyres looked shagged, the car wasnt turning in or accelerating properly... well done to Alonso for holding on anyway
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:00 (Ref:646851)   #53
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree GTR - more well fought for points for El Alonso.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:16 (Ref:646868)   #54
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Yep, it's unbelievably hard to translate a word like "Yeah"...
In Bulgaria they nod to say "No", in Russia we nod to say "Yes". Maybe in the place ALonso was born they say "Yeah" meaning something else?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 08:57 (Ref:646916)   #55
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh come on - it's a hard, big-boy's game. Alonso held his place and removed one of his WDC competitors from a point scoring position, all within the rules and perfectly safely. Telemetry didn't show an earlier braking point to the previous three laps - DC failed to observe correctly and didn't have his head in the right place due to a weekend of lacklustre performance. Coulthard should not have needed to overtake the Renault in the first place, and he knew it. He was flustered, and e overreacted and panicked when he should have been using his experience and superior car to breeze past.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:09 (Ref:646925)   #56
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing which makes me uneasy is teh word I've heard from one of my friends: "Alonso is growing schumacher". It was said by person who doesn't support TGF. If ALonso is learning so fast there's a danger he would learn TGF dirry moves. Maybe this time it was accident but how long does it takes him to start doing it of set purpose? (Finger crossed)
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:23 (Ref:647058)   #57
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The crucial fac tis that ALonso braked at the same point (or earlier) on each of the three previous laps, so DC knew what to expect. he was silly to faint a move to the inside that early, knowing where Alonso was going to place the car. He was also fully aware that there may've been oil form Da Matta's blown Toyota. Alonso did fine in my view, and DC's made a fool of himself. Just for a change....
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:35 (Ref:647205)   #58
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC blew it - if he'd even thought about getting on the brakes he could have had a useful Lunge as it was he'd missed his braking point totally.

If schumacher ends up beating Kimi by a point it'll be beacuase DC threw it off the road allowing TGF to move up a place.

DC also blew qualifying. I really can't see Ron and Norbert putting up with this for much longer. He always says 'thats something we need to work on' but after nearly a decade of F1 there can't be much room for improvement, can there?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 14:13 (Ref:647240)   #59
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC maintains that McLaren has telemetry which shows that Alonso braked 10 meters early. The stewards -- after reviewing Renault's telemetry -- concluded that Alonso did not brake earlier at the time of the incident than he had on the previous 4 laps.

If McLaren's telemetry is right, then Alonso did, in fact, pull a brake test, and should face the consequences of making a dangerous mistake. If the Renault telemetry is right, then Coulthard should apologize and face the fact that he's a putz.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 15:09 (Ref:647291)   #60
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso had to have something wrong. How else did he go slow enough to let MS right up onto his tail?
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 16:43 (Ref:647377)   #61
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We live in a world where the truth is shrouded in 'spin'...hopefully a proper journalist on our favourite racing comic will find us the truth. ???? (please)

Truth is none of has access to FA or DCs telemetry to see who braked early or who might have gone for it and overcooked it!

Alonso says "I had a drop off in performance in my last stint". Coulthard an intelligent and eloquent man, is quoted as saying he wasn't happy with the situation but was happier coming off having tried to get by (he put it better)

BUT we armchair enthusiasts have the right to air our opinions as we are the paying punters...I say it's fine to defend in the late stages of a race, by any means that doesn't upset the race officials.

Thank Fernando for help making it an entertain race, because that's what it really is these days...TV entertainment.

PS: Nice dooor slam on MS too! (Button take note)
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:08 (Ref:647405)   #62
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the speed David had there, he had miss the chicane anyway.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:19 (Ref:647420)   #63
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's just something that doesn't compute for me, and I wish there was a logical explanation: If Alonso was running at the same slow pace for at least 4 laps, and braking 10 meters earlier than everyone else at that corner -- 10 meters is a HUGE difference -- why wasn't DC able to easily fly by him at any braking zone of his choosing? It doesn't make sense. A driver of DC's caliber should have seen the problem Alonso was having and taken advantage of it easily. In his sleep he could have passed Alonso -- if the Renault telemetry was legit.

Alonso's answer seemed evasive: he was having problems, but the car and tires were OK. What the hell does that mean? It raises more questions than it answers, and it doesn't seem to be truthful, given Renault's own telemetry.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:20 (Ref:647421)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
With the speed David had there, he had miss the chicane anyway.
I'm not sure about this. It just looked quick because of his relative speed to Alonso.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:44 (Ref:647451)   #65
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with both Adam and eatapc.

Coulthard would have easily made the corner. Once he was on the grass and getting sideways, he had no control-a legitimate brake application on the racing line would have pulled the Mac in just fine.

For the record, Flavio Flave is quoted as saying that Alonso had "tire problems"

So what was it? Tires, brakes or bad driving by Alonso or Coulthard. Let's see, DC doesn't as a rule make mistakes of that caliber and Alonso has already this season nearly killed himself by ignoring yellow flags. Hmmmm.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 18:56 (Ref:647531)   #66
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
intresting .. after Barcelona many peoples accused ralf of dangerous defence .. but now ... alonso . is great .. for the same thing ... how come ??? hmmm

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:06 (Ref:647541)   #67
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did anyone ever say that? The difference is here of course that Alonso actually managed to keep people behind him.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:18 (Ref:647550)   #68
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jees he admits it and still everyone defends him - I wonder what the reaction would be had he done it to Schuie or Montoya rather than DC.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:21 (Ref:647557)   #69
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
When did anyone ever say that? The difference is here of course that Alonso actually managed to keep people behind him.
he did, but he was lucky to do so, what if DC could'nt avaoid him anymore??
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:24 (Ref:647561)   #70
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
and Pat Symonds does'nt say anything about brake problems or tire problems in his race review on www.renaultf1.com

Quote:
The Renault F1 Team’s weekend at the Nürburgring was event-filled. In the end, the team scored points with a fourth-place finish after a race run under constant pressure.

The Nürburgring was thought to suit the characteristics of the R23. Unfortunately, from the first laps on Friday, excessive understeer forced the team to re-work its range of set-ups. “We can only get the tyres working properly, and a good balance, on high fuel loads,” explained Executive Director of Engineering Pat Symonds. “We had to make changes for Saturday, and from the second day onwards, the drivers were happy with their cars’ behaviour.”

Starting 6th and 8th, Jarno and Fernando made good starts, and had an enjoyable battle between friends, with Jarno winning out. At the first stops, Fernando jumped ahead of the Italian, with the two R23s in sixth and seventh positions. Twenty laps from the end, though, Jarno parked his car on the side of the track: a fuel-pressure problem meant retirement. As for Fernando, he had to resist the attacks of David Coulthard, never more than half a second behind. At the finish, the Spaniard claimed fourth following problems for Kimi Räikkönen and Michael Schumacher.

« It was a hard race for Fernando, who had to push hard until the last lap » said Pat. « He withstood the attacks from Michael and David well. As for Jarno, he was comfortable until what we believe was a fuel pressure problem. The car’s competitiveness was satisfactory today, and the tyres suited the circuit well. We leave Germany with a few more points, and are now focused on our home race in Magny-Cours next week. »

Last edited by steve nielsen; 30 Jun 2003 at 19:25.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:27 (Ref:647565)   #71
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
This situation is bewildering me a little. Alonso doesn't seem to be the sort of chap that would stoop as low as brake testing, it's a tactic I despise and is the preserve of the brainless and talentless, I had it done to me in Karts on one occasion. However, if, and that's a big if, the above quote is accurate then I have lost all respect I have for Alonso. The thing that's putting me off the authenticity of your quote L-B is: a) that only you have given it with no source and it is not reported anywhere else in the high profile motorsport web sites. and b) Alonso certainly seemed to have some sort of problem as Schu was able to close the best part of a 15 second gap in one lap.

Last edited by Damon; 30 Jun 2003 at 19:30.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:33 (Ref:647574)   #72
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
This situation is bewildering me a little. Alonso doesn't seem to be the sort of chap that would stoop as low as brake testing, it's a tactic I despise and is the preserve of the brainless and talentless, I had it done to me in Karts on one occasion. However, if, and that's a big if, the above quote is accurate then I have lost all respect I have for Alonso. The thing that's putting me off the authenticity of your quote L-B is: a) that only you have given it with no source and it is not reported anywhere else in the high profile motorsport web sites. and b) Alonso certainly seemed to have some sort of problem as Schu was able to close the best part of a 15 second gap in one lap.
his actions in Brazil where also pretty brainless weren't they??
Old 30 Jun 2003, 19:35 (Ref:647579)   #73
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Absolutely, perhaps we are seeing the darker side of Alonso I don't know, I sure hope not.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 20:43 (Ref:647699)   #74
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A "darker side", maybe. The crash in Brazil, the constant hand signals in Spain, and now this (including the dicey chop he put on Schu at the last corner). Im not against hard racing and overtaking but Alonso seems much too eager to get the job done. Hopefully he'll settle down rather then becoming a menace.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 21:29 (Ref:647768)   #75
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso strikes me as someone who would stretch things to the limit in order to defend his race position - like all the greats.
However, I doubt he would brake-test people. And then announce it to the world through the press in a sarcastic manner, L-B!