Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2003, 22:24 (Ref:649009)   #51
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Begs the question why is the gravel trap right beside the track?,there should be an apron for cars to spin or run off on
Hear, hear! Unfortunately (here anyway) many of the tracks are like that, except where they've now put ashphalt down. I'm still wary of that, and we have now had the first case of a brake- (wheel?) less car wishing the gravel was still there because there was nothing to slow them down when the car wasn't capable of it.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 07:01 (Ref:649224)   #52
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Whoever he was, pushing the sidepod did nothing anyway.
Not the smartest spot to push a F1 car!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 07:49 (Ref:649268)   #53
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
now had the first case of a brake- (wheel?) less car wishing the gravel was still there because there was nothing to slow them down
Begs another question,why arent gravel traps raised up higher the further they get away from the track?,you often see cars skip across flat gravel traps until they hit the barriers and the gravel hasn't slowed them at all.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:04 (Ref:649375)   #54
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gravel trap would catch a car that spins, but one that runs straight ahead will hit hard the tyre wall (Schumacher 1999 Silverstone). Will even jump a couple of times, even risking to be capsized. (like David Coulthard did a couple of days ago)

The tarmac, on the other hand, would help a car that tries a little bit to brake, or at least will slow it down more efficiently.

A brake-less car would be helpless in both situations, but since the F1 cars already have 2 independent brake circuits, the probability of such accident is lower, I believe.

Perhaps a combination of the 2 would work: I mean near the track put a band of asphalt, then gravel. The idea of raised traps would be nice, but only if the track layout permits. For example, I can't see how this could be done at Silverstone.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 11:02 (Ref:649433)   #55
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bastinscully
I am a BOB and Proud of it what`s wrong with silverstone marshals garagegirl? we`re all here to do the same thing I`ll live in oxford my local track is silverstone it would be donington or brands but if I lived there localy I`d join that club at Donington or Brands.
please don't be offended, i just meant that i only knew the BOB's as people call them, as silverstone marshals. it's just like the marshals i know are brands marshals i suppose.