Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Oct 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2781598)   #51
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
The MX-5 is so much fun it should be illegal
Having been a passenger in a race-prepped MX5 for some fast laps round Oulton Park i can well believe it. Never thought such a "hairdressers" car could be so much fun. Think we were sideways more often than an ice racer!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2781849)   #52
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FW31 release made it to Autosport

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/87787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wilson
"The car is fantastic," said IndyCar driver Justin Wilson of the car. "It's just how I remembered driving an F1 car and more driver-friendly than I expected.

"Whatever your experience, you can drive the car, though getting the last bit is really hard. But that's the challenge."
Old 22 Nov 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2794484)   #53
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok I've had Iracing for just over a week and i'm getting oh so frustrated.

I'm a fair driver. If someone has the line I will put up a fight for so long but then let them through. All without incident.

However, it seems every other Tom, Dick (quite literally) and Harry, just doesn't give a hoot. Just had an MX5 race on Lime Rock. I started 8th and was up to 5th on the first lap. Guy behind me in 6th was being pushy and I was watching this however he decided that a damned good love tap was enough (4x) to let me know. I let him through and went pursuing him.

Coming into the final stages and I'm latched on to 2nd and 3rd place. 3rd place is all over the place and i'm going for moves and poking it around. I get my nose cut off in to T1 and then into T2 he runs wide and then shuts the door mid corner.

Result........ Broken steering and a DNF along with 12 penalty points.

Cocknobs.

How long do I have to race for before I find decent people to race against?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2794490)   #54
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
How long do I have to race for before I find decent people to race against?
Once you get out of the rookie races things get a lot better, well in some series they do

The MX5 does give great racing, but because the cars are so close and its the rookie series it can get a bit crazy at times. Easy way to level up is either do some time trials, or just try and stay out of trouble, even mid-pack, and pound round getting as many 0x races as you can. You'll very quickly get to class D and can then jump into some other cars.

The Skippy generally gives very good racing, as does the Late Model on the oval side. I've recently stepped up to the Star Mazda in C class, but unfortunately its just a wreck fest in the first laps so I'm going back to the Skippy now for a bit longer.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2794497)   #55
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with that, the skip drivers are far more civilised but there were still a few annoying moments in their races. i got hacked off with only being able to run the solstice when i was a rookie because i couldn't avoid the idiots and was stuck on limerock. getting a decent finish isn't really the main aim of the early days, its racecraft so even if you finish mid pack, as long as its been a clean race you'll soon get enough points to try the other series on offer.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2794583)   #56
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well here's hoping. I mean generally my driving is pretty decent, it's not as if i'm gung ho. My preferred method is to annoy drivers for a few laps and then force them wide or in to a mistake (without any contact).

If you want to add me on iracing it's Robin Durrant.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2794586)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think to be honest Robin this is the case in most sims.

You get the same in Rfactor or Race series.

THe difference in Iracing is that you can clearly be a bit of a wrecker but you wont progress. That is what some people want.

For me I cant afford to play there or I would, its a great game but pay per play is simply not an option for me
Old 23 Nov 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2794599)   #58
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Well that's the thing I decided to subscribe as I thought it would be less like rfactor or race and I would get some decent and fair racing. Similar to league racing I did in GTL etc.

Does it get to the stage where you race with the same guys week in week out?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2794622)   #59
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Well that's the thing I decided to subscribe as I thought it would be less like rfactor or race and I would get some decent and fair racing. Similar to league racing I did in GTL etc.

Does it get to the stage where you race with the same guys week in week out?
You tend to find once your out of the rookie series, if you then focus on a specific series or too, such as the Skippy, you'll run into the same people a lot.

When I first went from Rookie to D class I chose the skippy. Looked at the season schedule and brought tracks in bulk (3-5 at a time so you get 25% off) depending on what I liked the look of and what fitted that schedule. I then raced the skippy most weeks and ended up seeing the same guys a lot of the time, and now see a lot of them in the Star Mazda too. Adds to the atmosphere too.

Downside is you'll spot some muppets time and time again. I keep ended up in races at the moment with one particular guy who has it in for me because I passed him in what he classed as a none passing zone LOL! He didn't like it so always gives me a hard time on the track now but its all good fun.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2795037)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha, a non passing zone! What kind of gimp comes up with something like that!

That is another problem with Iracing, I think because of the ranking system that you then get a huge emphasis on people doing anything wrong, instead of just getting on with it!
Old 24 Nov 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2795040)   #61
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Haha, a non passing zone! What kind of gimp comes up with something like that!

That is another problem with Iracing, I think because of the ranking system that you then get a huge emphasis on people doing anything wrong, instead of just getting on with it!
Agreed and its something which bugs me too. I was in a Star Mazda race last week at Mid Ohio, started last in a 20 car field as didn't qualify and was up to 11th on the 2nd lap. Guy in 10th was weaving all over the place which took my attention away so when I came into turn 1 the next lap I touched the curb and looped it round, unfortunately collecting the guy behind. Straight away I apologized to the guy but holy crap he went mental at me! You'd think I had blown up a small country the way he was ranting

Some people seem to forget that incidents do happen at times.

Personally, I've found closer racing recently in the hosted sessions where SR doesn't count as its more fun then.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2795960)   #62
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
I'm now a holder of a D licence. I had my first race in the Skippy last night at Zolder, and apart from getting held up for a few laps and having a few 'nearly' bits of contact it was great fun.

Also my 3rd race on the bounce with a big fat 0 inc points
Old 26 Nov 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2796238)   #63
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
These over policing problems dont just affect Iracing. I get it a lot on RAce series now too.

So much so I uninstalled the other day. Just a waste of time playing there, you cant have any fun anymore.

The main servers are so heavily policed now that you do anything remotely wrong and you are reported! I can understand this on a league server, but not public, just so pointless!

These people need to learn to enoy themselves!
Old 27 Nov 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2796290)   #64
Murphys Law
Rookie

Murphys Law should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have noticed that. you even put a foo wrong once and bang you are geting reported.

I've had it a week now and loving it. Done all oval stuff so far and i am going to get my Clicence as soon as it clicks over later on this week. Won my 1st Late Model race last week and just enjoying the raceing. Coming from an Rfactor Back ground im loving the clean racing.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2798317)   #65
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found that off-track on iRacing is agressive, even 2 wheels on the dirt is enough to get you a 1x, plus the blue flag confused me.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 04:02 (Ref:2808909)   #66
DavyC412
Rookie

Canada
DavyC412 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the blue flag is a godsend in the grandam series. i wish they implemented it in practice as well as racing.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2808957)   #67
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm used to a blue flag being a solid piece of blue, I thought the yellow-striped one meant something completely different!
Old 28 Dec 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2808980)   #68
DavyC412
Rookie

Canada
DavyC412 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Well I'm used to a blue flag being a solid piece of blue, I thought the yellow-striped one meant something completely different!
they mean the same thing.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2934657)   #69
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
I have investigated iRacing, but it is the cost model which put me off. The monthly subscription is okay, I've played subscription-based MMOs on and off over the past 5 years so that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The bit I can't deal with is on top of that you have to buy additional cars and tracks as individual items. Again these micro transactions are not a problem in themselves, but $11.95 to buy one car? All that is just a little steep for me.

Don't get me wrong, it seems to be awesome sim from what I have read and seen on the likes of Youtube and given the opportunity I'm sure I would fall in love with it. Anything with David Kaemmer involved is going to be good. Its just a shame I can't justify the cost.
Okay, a year on and the release of iRacing 2.0 has made me rethink a little bit, so I've signed up for a month trial to see how it goes. Downloading now...
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2934700)   #70
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Okay, a year on and the release of iRacing 2.0 has made me rethink a little bit, so I've signed up for a month trial to see how it goes. Downloading now...
Not all cars have the new tyre model yet, but the ones that do I think its pretty good. Makes a world of difference to the oval cars especially, and the Skippy is now just as much fun as before, but without the crazy driving styles some people used.

Initially I was about 2 secs of my best old model time, but after about 20mins I've knocked a full 0.9secs of my previous best at Okayama so I'm happy.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2934935)   #71
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
i maybe doing the same later this week...
Old 3 Aug 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2935405)   #72
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well so far I'm enjoying it, it looks like I started at the right time since a new season has just started. I'm currently doing the Nvidia Mazda cup with the MX5 Roadster. I'm doing lots of official practice at the mo, but may try some qually runs tonight.

I did one qually session for the last event of "Week 13" before the flipover but never got to race as it went down for maintenance. Gained a little bit of Safety Rating though.

Overall it's very nice, graphics are excellent and the MX5 feels like what I would expect what is essentially a standard road car to be.

You can definitely see the Papyrus/Kaemmer heritage, particularly with the calibration/option screens.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2935582)   #73
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah the MX5 is a great car and gets consistantly good grids actually. Will be even better I would guess when it gets the new tyre model too.

Grids on the Skippy have certainly gone up with the NTM too. I used to struggle to get an official race in the weeknights last season, but this week there has been 40+ most times and even saw a 100+ field yesterday!

Aside from that, did my first NTM race last night. Started on pole and won! Whoop
Old 3 Aug 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2935598)   #74
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
played with the MX5 and street stock tonight, liked both. was owned at lime rock in my MX5 cup car, is that the slower of the 2 MX5s? i was 4s off the fastest time :/
Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:50 (Ref:2935640)   #75
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
played with the MX5 and street stock tonight, liked both. was owned at lime rock in my MX5 cup car, is that the slower of the 2 MX5s? i was 4s off the fastest time :/
Nah both the MX5s are pretty similar. They do suit certain tracks better though, cant remember the wway round but the right hand drive is better round Lime Rock due to the weight distro.

Street stock is an SR killer