Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Jul 2009, 03:06 (Ref:2506407)   #51
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Our Americanisation is now complete as Townsville has a "Main Straightaway"
"We'll get back to you on the other side of the break."
Old 25 Jul 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2507491)   #52
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Our Ameranisation is now complete as Townsville has a "Main Straightaway"
You kids are obviously way too young, Mike Raymond commentated with Yank terminology on Channel 7 back in the early 90's, banging on endlessly about the 'main straightaway', 'across the strike' and the 'Touring Car Nationals'.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2507508)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I kinda liked the Brock/Grice forays to the Euro Touro Enduros
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Aug 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2513616)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sarcastic Barbs!

Interesting to experience first hand the om-track commentating at Sandown yesterday.

It was interesting.

In the corporate area, Mr Bright was interviewed about his career and his racing and things. The two guys had known one another for 15 years, and worked together at least the last 5 years

But it was filled with taunts and barbs that actually added nothing to the conversation.

Like asking what the best racing result was, being Bathurst 1998, and the commentator suggesting it was quite some time ago now... which it was... so the words were historically accurate, but were stinging.

Same as talking openly about Mr Bright's need to find round sponsors.. now it may be considered appropriate to talk in front of corporates (and interlopers like me) about the need to get additional sponsorship to keep the dream alive, the room had at least a full table of official Fujitsu guests aboard... and the wording of the repartee would likely have done nothing to inspire them to value their sponsorship of the Britek team, and the sport

Embarassing or disparaging a sponsor (which the driver did not do, but the commentor did in my view) does not make for a happy place to be.

Then sitting here watching the press conference yesterday, the opening like to Mr Lowndes is that we are more used to seeing his teammate here than him, like he is a loser or something.

Is there any need for the negative treatment of these guys in front of the WWW fans and the motorsport and general media?

Sarcasm is great fun, but there is a sense of occassion in more official proceedings...

Anyhoo, wasnt particularly impressed.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Aug 2009, 00:46 (Ref:2513636)   #55
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interesting to experience first hand the om-track commentating at Sandown yesterday.

Embarassing or disparaging a sponsor (which the driver did not do, but the commentor did in my view) does not make for a happy place to be.

Then sitting here watching the press conference yesterday, the opening like to Mr Lowndes is that we are more used to seeing his teammate here than him, like he is a loser or something.

Anyhoo, wasnt particularly impressed.
What idiot was doing the interviewing? Is he a "professional" journalist or a no idea wannabe?
All your other comments and conclusions are spot on.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2513639)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
He is Mr Marinelli's replacement...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 2 Aug 2009, 02:59 (Ref:2513665)   #57
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why are people scared to use his name?

It is Chris Jewell.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2513673)   #58
mememe
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
mememe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can mark skaife anythingelse except '' Good Pass''
Old 2 Aug 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2513675)   #59
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe View Post
And the "Woo Hoo" type comments when someone puts a wheel on the grass
Old 2 Aug 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2513695)   #60
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic View Post
Why are people scared to use his name?

It is Chris Jewell.
I think the same person who originator of this thread topic was on about. How big an idiot can this guy be?
Old 2 Aug 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2513703)   #61
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe View Post
I bet Mark Skaife could at least post a comment without words missing and with the correct use of grammar so that it made sense...
Old 4 Aug 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2515300)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Quote:
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Aug 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2515393)   #63
Donnaracer
Rookie

Donnaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR Magic brings up a very good point - there is a place for sarcasm and jokes at individual's expense - but it shouldn't be during an official event such as a press conference in front of the nation's motorsport media and / or officials.

Last year's press conferences were always professional during the times I went on line to watch them - but it would seem that this is not what V8 Supercars want with the now frequent self-effacing comedy show that is taking place.

Its all about the professionalism of the series anyway and this kind of thing just caps off how unprofessional it really is.

Good to see that at least some people - as in contributors to this forum, actually give a damn about what the public or media are forced to endure. A distinct difference to the opinions of those who present the events from what I am reading here...
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2537727)   #64
Donnaracer
Rookie

Donnaracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another track commentator change AGAIN??

Yet another change in V8 Supercar track commentary is being touted around the place - anyone know what is going on?

Man its a revolving microphone job that one! Seems that even major league posterior end kissing by the current personnel hasn't saved the situation.

Although for the most brown nosed one, things have been engineered rather nicely. For everyone except the fans that is....
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2537738)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Where is Mr West off to now?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2538114)   #66
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where is Mr West off to now?
Chris Jewell still had the job at the last round. Luke West was doing Formula Ford and Fujitsu Series.

Here's a question for the greater audience. Who do people like to hear when trackside.

As someone who's trying to learn how to do this job better, sometimes you don't learn until you hear/overhear some talking about your efforts. It was an off-hand line used as a joke, from Crash-Test actually which alerted me to a habit of mine which I've since been working to fix.

Chris Jewell (V8 Supercar), Luke West (Fujitsu Series and Formula Ford), Richard Craill (Formula 3 & GT3 Challenge), Mike Drewer (GT), Garry O'Brien (Saloon Cars, Manufacturers Cup & V8 Touring Cars), Barry Oliver (Biante Series), Geoff Boyd (Sports Sedans), Lachlan Mansell (Commodore Cup), Mark... ummm was-is-name who does Aussie Racing Cars.

Does Wade Aunger still do the Ute Series? Any guys I've missed? Who's doing the Superbikes this weekend?

I'm a fan of Mark Walker's ability to think on his feet and wish I could do it better, and David Patterson's smoothness on the mike.

Always wondered why the Australian Rally Championship don't have a series commentator.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2538117)   #67
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Here's a question for the greater audience. Who do people like to hear when trackside.

As someone who's trying to learn how to do this job better, sometimes you don't learn until you hear/overhear some talking about your efforts. It was an off-hand line used as a joke, from Crash-Test actually which alerted me to a habit of mine which I've since been working to fix.

Mike Drewer (GT)----is useless.
Do you work with CrashTest at QR?
What was your habit?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 02:00 (Ref:2538126)   #68
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only habbit I think I am aware of was that Mark doesn't have egg on his bacon and egg roll!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 02:43 (Ref:2538138)   #69
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
That, most often with Superkart races, I don't often leave gaps for co-commentators to get a word in and pick up their own threads, or that I talk over the other commentator.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 02:49 (Ref:2538142)   #70
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
Do you work with CrashTest at QR?
What was your habit?
For years. All over South East Qld. I've done QR, Morgan Park, Lakeside, Speed on Tweed, Leyburn, Noosa, Rally Queensland, Speedway for while doing venues from Rockhampation to Lismore. And nationally with the Australian Superkart Championship on the Shannons series the last three and a half years.

I relieved Crashy at the Cue 1 Hour race at Morgan Park and did the second half... final third really. Quite the dramatic finish, the Sports/GT thread never really said much about the race I should story that up.

What is wrong with Drewer. Useless does not cover anything other than you don't like him. What specifically?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:13 (Ref:2538147)   #71
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
[QUOTE=Falcadore;2538142
I relieved Crashy at the Cue 1 Hour race at Morgan Park and did the second half... final third really. Quite the dramatic finish, the Sports/GT thread never really said much about the race I should story that up.

What is wrong with Drewer. Useless does not cover anything other than you don't like him. What specifically?[/QUOTE]

I have worked in commentary at QR a few times-- I have said this before but a terrific group who are well organised,well informed and generally interested and informative to listen to.
Drewer is the none of the above-to the point of ignorance about what should be his specific topic.I cannot stand factually incorrect commentary and inane irrelevence--particularly when all you have to do is look out the window!!!! Doing journalist background info and then reading it out is not commentary-particularly when you can recognise the source! What is worse is that he is/was?getting paid for it.
Re race at Morgan Park-- one of the difficulties is getting posts about racing of all Sports/GT categories -it is what keeps a balance on the forum with the bs.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2538148)   #72
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Marky, with the Superkarts (esp at say Eastern Creek) you were deadset on fire! You know the class, the karts, the people, and rather importantly was right on top of what was happening at a place that is fairly hard to commentate at. Quite impressive I must say!

And haha @ the 1 Hour enduro... what was possibly the most sedate 40 minutes of racing over the weekend, I sneak back in the box for the last 2 minutes and your just about fall of your perch with a deadset grandstand finish. Pure commentary GOLD!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2538151)   #73
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Funny thing about long races they can leave you really struggling!
You mentioned talking over other commentators--some "pro's" really get teed off when you do it. I take the attitude that events on the track need immediate comment --just do it. Any good commentator will go with the flow and immediate excitement overides everything in my view-it is the problem with the sanitised TV productions where the sponteneity is lost in production-it finishes sounding contrived-which it is.
Some of the best I have worked with have been excellent in changing direction in mid sentence ,and happy to work with and off you. The other side of that is those that guard the air time like it was a dollar out of their pockets!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2538230)   #74
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of race commentary, but in my experience in being trackside, I never get to hear any of the commentary anyway. I tend to move around a fair bit and the commentary just disappears into the background. I have wondered sometimes if there is such a thing as localised radio access to track commentary, which I believe a few overseas circuits have for major events. If it is available here, a bit of promotion beforehand would be great.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2538234)   #75
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of race commentary, but in my experience in being trackside, I never get to hear any of the commentary anyway. I tend to move around a fair bit and the commentary just disappears into the background. I have wondered sometimes if there is such a thing as localised radio access to track commentary, which I believe a few overseas circuits have for major events. If it is available here, a bit of promotion beforehand would be great.
A lot of circuits do bradcast on FM to the immediate area around them. Lakeside is FM only as the noise limits meant there are no speakers except in pitlane to announce that each categroy needs to get ready for a race.

It should be printed in the race programs.