Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Dec 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2594654)   #51
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have a 'paperclip' style track? Is there any room on the outside of the oval for chicanes or straights paralell to the Oval?
Old 6 Dec 2009, 04:42 (Ref:2594722)   #52
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
if the water wouldnt be there...
A few mobile bridges should take care of the waterproblem.

Quote:
My worst fears is that it will be even slower and twistier then Sturup, and thats not good!
My fear is the same. ROC looks really nice, but it's still quite cramped with only 2 cars racing at a time. 20-30 cars on a 1km circumference oval could be difficult to pull off. But Göteborg I guess is proof how good it can become even with very limited space.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2594807)   #53
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ridicolous. Infield tracks are rarely good, and an infield track at a trotting course? It's stupid. And I'm sure they'd rather do that than head back to Anderstorp, wouldn't they! Solvalla just isn't suitable, and an infield course is not the answer. You can combine horse racing and car racing (Sandown is an excellent example), but Solvalla is just too small. And you can't do it Sandown-style either, because there's no room on the outside.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2594981)   #54
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1270407.jpg

this is a great photo of the facility here, notice some space under that motor-way type road and some scrub land there to use.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2594987)   #55
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever becomes of this it will be something special thats for shure. Might be bad, might be good.

What doesn't really make sense to me is why they can't work something out with Anderstorp and Gotland Ring but they can pull something like this off. Since the series is going Scandinavian and Denmark doesn't have a lot of good circuits I would also love to see a street circuit based on the Copenhagen historic GP circuit.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2594990)   #56
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And no SAFER barriers on the wall
This track suit only for dirt track racing
Old 6 Dec 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2594995)   #57
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
I would love to see CAMSO run around here
Old 6 Dec 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2595009)   #58
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Whatever becomes of this it will be something special thats for shure. Might be bad, might be good.

What doesn't really make sense to me is why they can't work something out with Anderstorp and Gotland Ring but they can pull something like this off. Since the series is going Scandinavian and Denmark doesn't have a lot of good circuits I would also love to see a street circuit based on the Copenhagen historic GP circuit.
Gotland Ring is not approved for racing and the Anderstorp organization just seems to be unable to co-operate with STCC.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2595071)   #59
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner View Post
Gotland Ring is not approved for racing and the Anderstorp organization just seems to be unable to co-operate with STCC.

Gotland Ring got their FIA approval this summer IIRC.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2595086)   #60
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose this may get some more fans in, when they hear some cars will be racing on a horse track on their city, rather than having to trek to a race circuit. I think this will be good and I look forward to it, but then I am always optimistic, I even got excited about Donington holding a GP!
Old 7 Dec 2009, 05:14 (Ref:2595267)   #61
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Yeah, location (close to a lot of people) is good. But why pick a horsetrack instead of eg the airfield literally next doors...
Hell, one could even do the horsetrack oval + to and back to the airfield and still end up with a track totalling less than 3km :P
Old 7 Dec 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2595319)   #62
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Gotland Ring got their FIA approval this summer IIRC.
A temporary one though and there are no facilities there.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2595320)   #63
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Yeah, location (close to a lot of people) is good. But why pick a horsetrack instead of eg the airfield literally next doors...
The horse track already has all the necessary spectator facilities - grandstands, car parking, ticketing, catering, PA system, etc. That's a lot less construction/cost than starting from scratch at an airfield.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2595427)   #64
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The horse track already has all the necessary spectator facilities - grandstands, car parking, ticketing, catering, PA system, etc. That's a lot less construction/cost than starting from scratch at an airfield.
While I don't agree that an Airport will be missing all of those, if you also quote the rest of my post all remaining of those points instantly fall.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2595436)   #65
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well, none of the available airfields in Stockholm have anything close to useable facilities.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2595450)   #66
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Well, none of the available airfields in Stockholm have anything close to useable facilities.
Well, if Bromma airfield + Solvalla does not have the necessary facilities combined, for sure Solvalla alone cannot have it either...
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2595451)   #67
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
The usual everlasting discussion...

There are no available airfields with all spectator facilities.

Solvalla has got it all for 50.000 persons. End of story.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2595462)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
While I don't agree that an Airport will be missing all of those, if you also quote the rest of my post all remaining of those points instantly fall.
I don't know of many airports that have grandstands along the runways
Old 7 Dec 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2595481)   #69
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The usual everlasting discussion...

It is, however, a ****ty place to build a race track. This whole thing sounds like something a fourteen year old would make up. I can't believe they actually think it's a good idea. Utterly baffling.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2595488)   #70
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just small detail - horse track need pave for autoracing, airfield has it.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2595571)   #71
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I have no idea about the construction of horse race tracks, but perhaps it is already paved underneath the layer of dirt?
Otherwise the paving would be quite a nightmare, I guess with the track being shut down for months before and after the event.

When we look at American rovals, the inside track usually contributes about half or (sometimes significantly) less of the oval's original length to the circuit. If we leave aside all other considerations that means that the Solvalla-track could not be much longer than 1.5k. How many cars do FIA-regs allow on tracks of that length? I definitely don't see the full ScTCC-field race there in just two races. They have to find a way to narrow down the field, and I think the most attracive way to do it would be heat races in groups of 8 to 12 cars - as oppossed to a pure RoC-style show event or simply a regular qualifying process.

Last edited by Speed-King; 7 Dec 2009 at 17:01.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2595667)   #72
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I don't know of many airports that have grandstands along the runways
I also don't but I do know that both the economic as well as enviromental costs for building temporary grandstands is a lot less than to pour out tens of thousands of liters of oil (in the form of asphalt) and then have it all removed a few days later. The two doesnt even begin to compare.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2597869)   #73
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget that Bromma is an active and with quite heavy traffic intensity for domestic flights. Think about the costs of shutting down an entire airport to build grandstands etc. and make it race ready. This don't happen in just a few days (they can't get away with only shutting it down friday-saturday). It would for instance need a thorough inspection after the event to ensure it's safe for commercial flights (and such things are one hell of a process) etc. etc. It would cost a lot to have a temporary circuit at Bromma, and you will have a huge challenge convincing the politicians that it doesn't affect the national economy in some way.

I really want to see the maps and plans for this track at Solvalla, can't figure out how it would work (Speed King's illustration is what I fear) and still be a racetrack and not just a silly commercial jippo. You could of course protect the present surface and put asphalt on top of it, but Solvalla is used quite frequently as I've understood. And than we have the noice thing, but that should be quite easy considering it's location next to a large airport.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2598347)   #74
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson View Post
Don't forget that Bromma is an active and with quite heavy traffic intensity for domestic flights.
Dont forget that domestic flights are very weekday dependent (as in much Mon-Fri, almost nothing Sat-Sun).

A quick check at LFV website shows only 12 flights to and 13 from the airport today Saturday. Since Arlanda shows the same reduced traffic for domestic flights on weekends, these few planes could easily be rerouted there if needed.

Additionally, domestic flights dont run at night, so I dont see a big problem with eg lifting prebuilt grandstand sections to predetermined places during the night after the last flight Friday evening and have it ready by Saturday morning. At least, if one can manage to build 4m wide bridges across railways in 45minutes, putting together some grandstand sections in 10h is comparatively easy.
Old 15 Dec 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2600055)   #75
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it's "do-able", but for what costs? They've had races at commercial airports in the US and Germany etc. so it can be done. But do STCC AB have the economy to pull it off and to find enough sponsors? And would the city of Stockholm really allow that, since I have never heard any positive words on motorsport from them.

Just think of Tullinge Dragway, they closed it so they could build houses. That didn't happen and they re-opened it temporarily when people questioned it. Than they closed it for good. But the area wasn't good to build on because of pollutions from being an old airstrip etc. Still don't know if they managed to pull the thumb out of their arses and finally build those houses. It was very urgent to do so when they closed Tullinge, but afterwards it wasn't. And they were whining and asking why on earth poeple did streetraces... Anyway, sorry for going a bit off-topic. Let's wait and see what they say about Solvalla!