Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Jul 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3101178)   #51
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
But you had white numbers - you should have been hung drawn and quartered for that.
Yeh, did that cos putting a white background on sort of messed up the "St George's Cross" effect. Interesting then that in more than two seasons racing I didn't get a single comment about it at scrutineering. Had plenty other drivers point it out though

Of course, those of us not blessed with sponsorship have a bit more freedom on where the bonnet number can go......
Attached Thumbnails
2008_0426BrandsHatch0113.JPG  
Old 3 Jul 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3101358)   #52
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a marshal and a championship official numbers are important...

Scrutineers at the morning scrutineering session are checking the safety features they are required to and then maybe they'll pick something else for that day to check on the cars. They don't have time in the 4 or 5 minutes (if that) that they get for each car to give it a full BB regulation and eligibility check.

There are scrutineers that have an eligibility ticket for their licence and they usually work closely with the championship/series officials checking the cars against the specific regs for that championship. This may include looking at the numbers/sponsor stickers but may not.

IIRC the BTCC regs have been bought in to allow them to have more sponsorship on the side of the cars rather than the door numbers, but I may be wrong on that.

The MSA specifies a number on the two sides of the car and one on the nose/bonnet. The championship/series with BARC SE also have it in their regulations to have a number on the back of the car to enable the marshals to see the number on the car when it is going away from them. We race at brands a lot and were finding issues with the reports from Graham Hill because the cars were going away and numbers couldn't be seen, so we recified that.

Aso regarding the white background...some historic cars dont need a white background...its in the regs. Also usually commen sense is used, if the number is suitably visible then its not likely to be picked up on.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3101486)   #53
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hahahaha, Chezza, that's the best comedy script I've read for ages. "Common sense" and certain types of MSA officials!

The White ground thing happened to me at a sprint. Black number, White car. Jobs worth scrutineer "You gotta put black line round that." me: "Why?" JWS: "Because it's in the BB and I say so"

Even with only 4 minutes to scrutineers a car it's easy to tell whether numbers are at the front edge (as per the rules) or at the back edge. If you can see it on the grid, you can be sure it can be seen in the scrutineering bay...

BTW I think numbers on the back is a good thing too. Think MGB, Midget coupe etc at Le Mans, looks cool.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3101492)   #54
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post

But you had white numbers - you should have been hung drawn and quartered for that.
Of course It's impossible to see white numbers on a contrasting background isn't it.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3101558)   #55
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Of course It's impossible to see white numbers on a contrasting background isn't it.
I think Diz was being sarcastic...
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3101710)   #56
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
I think Diz was being sarcastic...
I think Tim was being sarcastic...
Old 4 Jul 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3101755)   #57
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
I think Tim was being sarcastic...
Are we all being sarcastic?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3101759)   #58
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm shocked - I've never known Tim to be sarcastic????
Old 4 Jul 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3101923)   #59
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The sarcasm was not lost on me from any quarter

On the subject of scroots and race numbers, uncle Eric was once stopped racing by scrutineers because he had reflective silver numbers on and on the other hand I've been to scrutineering without any numbers and it's not been mentioned, although he did have a white stick and a Labrador.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 15:59 (Ref:3108059)   #60
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heres a brilliant bit of unclear numbering which i saw at brands on saturday
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...57630619361354
Old 18 Jul 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3108073)   #61
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What number's the 50 cent car?

http://www.birmingham101.com/101phot...04-50Cent.html