Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Apr 2003, 01:07 (Ref:559697)   #51
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Javi
I guess the new Lister LMP is intriguing (i´ll wait to see it live at LM) but I won´t definetly call it pretty!!!
I don't think Andy Thorby (designer of Storm LMP and Panoz LMP 07)puts much stock in pretty cars; although in my experience the better looking cars have usually been fast. (On a side note: I wonder if the fact that a car is successful makes it more attractive to people, or if for some reason a functionally sound car just comes out looking "right"? Would the Porsche 917 look that good if it hadn't dominated?...Just a thought) The two cars from Thorby that i'm aware of certainly do have a unique look. I always thought the LMP07 looked like some sort of odd dragon head.I'm not crazy, i swear. I just think that with the engine intakes sticking up like they did that it looks like the nostrils of some beast and the odd shape of the car somehow made it look reptilian...Alright, maybe i am insane...
Old 6 Apr 2003, 14:06 (Ref:559968)   #52
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well. You´re right about Listers. Except for some cars in the 60´s as the Lister-Chevrolet. No modern era Lister has the right to be called beautiful (but Lister´s Storm GT car´s been succesful anyway..)
Sure a car with winning history appeals better to people, but i dont´t think It could be applied to the 917. I love that car. The shape is gorgeous, and it won. On the other side, I guess Ford´s Gt40´s were nice, and winning cars, but Ferrari´s P4 is the most beautiful car ever, but (Daytona apart) was thrased bt Ford at Lm....
Old 7 Apr 2003, 23:16 (Ref:562265)   #53
Inside_Info
Rookie

Inside_Info should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP07 and Lister

Quote:
Originally posted by danhx
I don't think Andy Thorby (designer of Storm LMP and Panoz LMP 07)puts much stock in pretty cars; although in my experience the better looking cars have usually been fast. (On a side note: I wonder if the fact that a car is successful makes it more attractive to people, or if for some reason a functionally sound car just comes out looking "right"? Would the Porsche 917 look that good if it hadn't dominated?...Just a thought) The two cars from Thorby that i'm aware of certainly do have a unique look. I always thought the LMP07 looked like some sort of odd dragon head.I'm not crazy, i swear. I just think that with the engine intakes sticking up like they did that it looks like the nostrils of some beast and the odd shape of the car somehow made it look reptilian...Alright, maybe i am insane...
I didn't really want to comment on these, but I have to agree... U G L Y!!!

Incidentally... I have seen a model of the 07 painted to look like the creature from Alien... so no you're not insane....
Old 8 Apr 2003, 20:18 (Ref:563177)   #54
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

here's another contestant:

Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:00 (Ref:563241)   #55
danhx
Racer

Re: LMP07 and Lister

Quote:
Originally posted by Inside_Info
Incidentally... I have seen a model of the 07 painted to look like the creature from Alien... so no you're not insane....
Well that's comforting.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:30 (Ref:563306)   #56
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by danhx
I've tried to hold this back, but i was just looking at it again and i really find the aesthetic qualities of the Chaparral 2J to be repulsive. The ingenuity of the design is undoubtable; i can only hope to be that clever one day. Nonetheless, that car is hideous.
I got told off for nearly breaking that car by Jim Hall. I think he over reacted. I didn't even know who he was, but he brushed me aside, and told i was under his feet, and i was gonna damge the car any time soon. Ouch!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:33 (Ref:563312)   #57
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

That, is surely the ugliest car: Ever.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 23:35 (Ref:563408)   #58
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That car is the original Batmobile, which was originally derived from the Lincoln Futura concept car. It can be seen on this thread: This Thread.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 02:09 (Ref:563461)   #59
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gebhardts aren't ugly... They just look like waterbugs with fins on the back
Old 9 Apr 2003, 05:28 (Ref:563522)   #60
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Cy and Pirenzo, stop posting those pics, I'm don't feel so well
Old 9 Apr 2003, 08:18 (Ref:563647)   #61
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes they are. They're horrid. i was aware thta it was the original batcar, and isn't it just hideous?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 09:04 (Ref:563682)   #62
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Yes they are.
No they are not.

Old 9 Apr 2003, 10:26 (Ref:563758)   #63
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
WhAtS tHaT? i don't remember saying that was not nice. Looks fine to me. Especially those fenders
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:25 (Ref:563976)   #64
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough, many of the Le Mans cars mentioned, e.g. the 1979 Domes, 50's Panhards and 1950 Cadillac Le Monstre are available as 1/43rd models, in a range called Bizarre by Spark. http://www.sparkmodel.com/bizarreline.html
I think there is a certain beauty in something as ugly as some of those cars. Give me ugly over bland anytime.....
Old 9 Apr 2003, 20:13 (Ref:564427)   #65
danhx
Racer

Wow, those are some, err, interesting models.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 21:13 (Ref:564506)   #66
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why is batman trying to throw robin into a panoz?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 21:17 (Ref:564511)   #67
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
LOL
Old 10 Apr 2003, 05:25 (Ref:564765)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
No they are not.
This one looks like the 03' Durango (quite good looking, IMHO); is it a Gebhardt ? Which year ?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:00 (Ref:564965)   #69
danhx
Racer

I've always thought the Durango looks like a whale shark with mouth fully agape to feed.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 21:07 (Ref:565571)   #70
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Durango does have a whale shark's "scoop" mouth...

but other lines do seem to bear some similarities...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:28 (Ref:567251)   #71
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing that even comes close to being as ugly as the Pontiac Aztec, but that's not a racecar...
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:38 (Ref:567258)   #72
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
This one looks like the 03' Durango (quite good looking, IMHO); is it a Gebhardt ? Which year ?
Yes, it's a Gebhardt G4- their Audi-powered SR1 that raced in the FIA series around 1998/9

http://www.gt-eins.de/Bilder/99_ISRS/gebhardt3.JPG
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:45 (Ref:567262)   #73
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
Yes, it's a Gebhardt G4- their Audi-powered SR1 that raced in the FIA series around 1998/9
Thank you KA ; from the side, the car is not so bad (and quite different from the Durango), well, quite classical... was it an performant one ?
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:48 (Ref:567264)   #74
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Another 'asthetically-challenged' Group C car- the Sthemo:

http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...moSMC2bmw1.jpg

http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...SM01_bmw_1.jpg

The great thing about this one is that it was partly responsible for a couple of others- it's bodywork later turned up on Jean-Claude Ferrarin's Isolia C2, and even better, Jose Thibault's Chevron-ROC that attempted to run at Le Mans a couple of times in the late 80's- can't find a photo yet, but imagine the Sthemo with all 4 wheels fully-faired in with spats.....
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:51 (Ref:567267)   #75
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
Another 'asthetically-challenged' Group C car- the Sthemo
Huh... not very sexy... maybe for the DP contest ?

sorry