Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who should have been given victory?
Giancarlo Fisichella (Jordan) 76 74.51%
Kimi Raikkonen (McLaren) 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:560501)   #51
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fisichella was the rightful winner. He was leading at the end of lap 54, which is when the result should've been taken from. Do you think the officials are trying to bribe McLaren (and Mercedes) with all this? Fisichella, under the refulations, appears to have been robbed.

Of course, DC was the likely winner had the race gone to distance. This is a repeat of Canada 1997, when he pitted the lap before Panis crashed to red-flag the race (stalling in the process and dropping to 7th). So they were both unlucky, Rubens even more so.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:560502)   #52
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not much to add, but it's clearly Fisichella the winner of the race.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:58 (Ref:560507)   #53
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella should have won. He passed Kimi and was leading the race when it was red flagged. It was not red flagged due to Webber's incident, it was red flagged when Alonso ploughed into the debris (a tyre) from Webber's car.

Technically speaking, Kimi probably won. Morally speaking, Fisi definitely won.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:58 (Ref:560508)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Fisichella was the rightful winner. He was leading at the end of lap 54, which is when the result should've been taken from. Do you think the officials are trying to bribe McLaren (and Mercedes) with all this? Fisichella, under the refulations, appears to have been robbed.
No I don't.

I think the rules say Kimi. However I've not had chance to check them out apart from what O'Schumacher posted. Too busy here!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:560511)   #55
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Considering that Fisi's car was ablaze minutes later I'd say he was pretty lucky that the race was stopped at all! Kimi deserved it - he did some great stuff throughout.
In terms of true merit, Fisi deserved it from a driver's standpoint. I suppose you could argue Kimi deserved it from a car/team standpoint. Fisi put in a better driver performance.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:560512)   #56
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
JV (not Verstappen) was so far off the pace today that he didn't even deserve points.
It was pretty clear that he put in a hellofa lot of fuel after his first stop, probably to the end of the race his car was only just starting to really pick up at the end there (JV set the fastest first sector)...he could have had a podium IMO if they had restarted!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:02 (Ref:560515)   #57
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikkonen needed another stop no doubt. Didn't you see how Fisi got by? His car was squirming about same as DC's right before he pitted. Fisi, meanwhile, was on bridgestones that had lasted great for half a race and with one stop to go, he would have been on the better tyre for the drying conditions with those rivers still forcing wets.
Both needed to pit I'm sure of it. I imagine Raikkonen might have got in front again but the last few laps would have been interesting and very telling as to how much tyres can play a part.

But there's a certain truth to Villeuve and DC getting a little shafted by the timing. And I feel sorry for Alonso but, considering the yellows were out and radio must have been working... he was carrying a little much speed through you think?

I still can't believe Rubin of the Black Brazil Cat.

And I doubt it's a fix but it's still the shaft.

Last edited by golem; 6 Apr 2003 at 20:11.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:02 (Ref:560516)   #58
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one that will definately run and run.. just one point: Is it just me or did Fisichella come from practically no-where to suddenly be right in contention? I think DC deserved to win, after leading for the majority of the afternoon, in fact anyone still running at the end deserved to win, simply for keeping it on the island - something former/reigning champions and race winners could not do.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:09 (Ref:560533)   #59
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember a lot of aussies complaining about the result of that Bathurst touring car race where a Nissan won, (beating the Holdens/Fords) after a similar countback.

I wonder if those same aussies would now argue that Webber should not be classified as a finisher.

The rules are writen the way they are for a reason. People must remember that the only official timing is at the start/finish line so you MUST count back at least to that point when the lead car past the start finish line.

Now if you count the PREVIOUS lap (where the lead car past start/finish line) there are also some strange situations that can occur when, for example one of the lead cars crashes just after the start/finish line (causing red flags). So if you count the positions at the end of that previous lap, you will find there are only one or two cars who have completed that lap, so how do you classify the others?????...... from the PENULTIMATE lap.

So rather than count *some* (the lead cars) from the last complete lap and others from the PENULTIMATE lap, the whole race is taken from the PENULTIMATE lap. At least that's my understanding.

Yes Fisi deserved the win (so did Rubens and others), but we can't have a system of rules that gives the race to the one that ten-tenths think "deserves" the win..... you need a consistant set of rules that people can apply to every red flagged race.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:09 (Ref:560534)   #60
Dave Brenchley
Rookie

Dave Brenchley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is bad, regardless of what the rule actually is, is how much ambiguity exists.

Whatever you think about Jordan they are a professional outfit and they wouldn't have been celebrating if they hadn't genuinely thought they had won. The rule shouldn't be so ambiguous that they don't know.

Even allowing Jordans mistake, it still took a good 5 or 10 mins for an official result to be declared, which suggests to me that even the race stewards didn't know the rules without going and looking in a book...

For a live event in front of 100s of millions of viewers, it's not good enough.....
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:09 (Ref:560537)   #61
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
In terms of true merit, Fisi deserved it from a driver's standpoint. I suppose you could argue Kimi deserved it from a car/team standpoint. Fisi put in a better driver performance.
Fisi drove a nice safe race and stayed out of trouble. The multitude of yellows and the conditions better suiting his Bridgestones at the end are what allowed him to be where he was at the end. He did what any good GP driver would do; but being a cut above? Sorry don't think so! He drove like Coulthard did in Australia.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:15 (Ref:560545)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brenchley
What is bad, regardless of what the rule actually is, is how much ambiguity exists.

...it's not good enough.....
Firstly welcome to ten-tenths Dave

Now a lot of fans are going to be left thinking the FIA are either useless, corrupt or both. Which is not good for the fans.

Things aren't helped by the coverage stopping just a few seconds after Kimi was declared the winner. BTW what happened in Corrie?

The official F1.com website was quicker than ITV in declaring Kimi the winner. Although this was just on the timing screen and perhaps it would have been nice to inform the TV stations immediately so that they (even ITV ) could inform the masses!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:15 (Ref:560548)   #63
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi won the race. I'm staggered at the "result"
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:16 (Ref:560551)   #64
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would've been great to see Fisico get that elusive first win, but you can't say the Ice Man Kimi isn't a deserving winner. He bulked up on fuel and kept the tyres going for a long time, look how he passed and pulled away from Ralf with a much heavier car. He got caught a break but you've got to be there to get the luck. I think all drivers deserve a pat on the back and a cool beer after todays race, especially the ones who brought home results.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:16 (Ref:560552)   #65
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. Webber didn't see the line, no count. End of story. And it's not a Ford or Holden thing. I was always a Richards, Percy and Bowe fan. Oh, and Seton. I actually backed the GT-R's as good cars but, that car was wrecked and not in the lead due to a bad call on tyres. Johnson, another racer, took the right measures. Really, he should have won, his car was still mobile and made it to pit lane.

Hell, Fisi's car set alight in the pits but it made it there. It finished and then blew up. Webber and Alonso, no matter how heart wrenching it would be to see webber lose it all, didn't have running cars.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:19 (Ref:560560)   #66
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the way the Jordan team were celebrating like a bunch of schoolboys as soon as Alonso had his crash was really pathetic..and Ive never been a fan of Jordan anyway.

That said, Giancarlo showed a lot of class on the podium..he surely did deserve a win today but he should be happy with 8 points because his car really doesent deserve to be in the points let alone on the 2nd step of the podium.

At the end of the day...rules and rules...and as ridiculous as it is to see Kimi get the win while standing stationary at the pit exit, and Webber and Alonso walk away with points despite crashing on the straight...thats what the rulebook is all about - it's tough but it evens out eventually.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:22 (Ref:560567)   #67
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really worried about Alonso now - will he be able to make Imola? If not, then McNish will have to race. And was Webber actually ok after his shunt?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:28 (Ref:560588)   #68
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A lot of points here about whether Fisi deserved it or not (IMO he did, he was last passed the finish line) ie his car went on fire in parc ferme etc etc.

I'll refer to Paul Stoodart and what he said before the race:
"F1 is if spelt backwards" And he aint half right! We can all say what if but the fact is that there are facts.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:30 (Ref:560593)   #69
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quick Question

Did Fisi cross the line as leader before the red flag dropped?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:31 (Ref:560594)   #70
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso looked very winded but what's actually wrong with him?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:33 (Ref:560601)   #71
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only update I have on Alonso is that he appears to have a hurt leg. Type of injury unknown but doctors say he is "not in danger".
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:36 (Ref:560622)   #72
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Any one answer this question?

Did Fisi Cross the line as leader Before the red flag fell?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:36 (Ref:560623)   #73
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Tom ->
Webber looked fine after his shunt, certainly no immediate medical attention as we say with Trulli, he climbed out unaided and was standing trackside after.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:36 (Ref:560624)   #74
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fissi said he didnt have to pit again. And id like to point out that the engine probably only went on fire because the car was stopped and cooled down. You regularly see it happen in the pits!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:38 (Ref:560628)   #75
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alfasud
Who would I like to have won?.... Fisichella.
Who should have won?...... whatever the rules say.
I'm agree,maybe Ferrari will notice Fisichella after this
But how often does have MS got a win in incident's like this before?