Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2003, 08:19 (Ref:562495)   #51
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ok I think it's important that everyone understands the role of the flags and the flag marshal in all of this.

Firstly, the decision to put out a red flag is purely the decision of the Clerk of Course/Race Director. Marshals cannot make that decision and will only put out a red flag if a) they see it on another post or b) in F1 usually they will be instructed to do so from the control tower.

Secondly, the flag rules work like this:

Double waved yellows would be put out on the post immediately preceding the incident. For a serious incident, at the discretion of the COC, a single waved yellow may go out on the post before THAT to ensure that drivers are warned they need to be slowing down.

If the drivers are unable to see the flags, then that is an issue for the safety personnel to work on before the next F1 is held at the circuit. However, all drivers are familiarised with the locations of the flagposts well prior to a race - during testing, warm ups, practice and even the parade lap. If visibility was such that flagposts could not be seen, then that should have been reported - they do have radios after all.

To me, this is a classic demonstration on what happens when a driver doesn't obey flag signals. I totally sympathise with any driver that gets injured - but the flags are there for a reason - as has been mentioned in another thread, we don't just put them out for a laugh.

They mean SLOW DOWN! If you don't slow down, you run the risk of having an accident - AND injuring others, since in many cases the yellows are to protect marshals working trackside.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 8 Apr 2003 at 08:24.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:42 (Ref:562558)   #52
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
But - did the marshalls have chance to wave double yellows before Alonso passed, and in the conditions could he see them?
I should think so - Alonso was ~15s ahead of Webber on the track, giving the marhsals and Renault well over a minute to warn him of the incident. Let's not forget that Alonso was penalised for overtaking under yellows earlier in the race, perhaps he needs a bit of reminding what they are for.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:562703)   #53
BlueStang
Rookie

BlueStang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
That worried me when I saw it. However, he did get out of the car unaided. Might be slight concussion and sprained leg, my guess.
The way the safety crew seemed more concerned with his head than his leg (while he was seated on the side of the course, before they immobilized him), I was worried about a concussion as well. Good to hear he is apparently fine!

Blue
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:28 (Ref:562788)   #54
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by David McManus
Dust a thought - could he be fined/penalised for brach of article 168?

It would be unfair, but the rules don't seem to make any exception for injury - and we all know how the FIA like to stick to rules...
I don't know - can anyone remember if Jochen Rindt got a fine for getting killed before becoming World Champion?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:06 (Ref:564013)   #55
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Non sense. Jochen was killed in Monza, the championship had one round left to go, the US GP.