Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are just as bad as the British press, Peter
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:23 (Ref:697490)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never knowingly undersold.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:44 (Ref:697502)   #53
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear what you're saying, Wrex. He should have won that championship by a clearer margin, considering the way he had dominated the season, and he could just as easily have lost the championship by the odd point, but at least he came out winning it in the end.

He's got four more years of experience under his belt now though. He has become a smart, thinking driver, in addition to keeping his aggressive approach. He's becoming more and more a complete driver, and the fact that he is one point off the championship leader with three races to go is proof of that. I really hope it won't come down to those 2 points he threw away when he spun in Australia though. That would be heartbreaking.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:59 (Ref:697514)   #54
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is such a good F1 driver.....Im loving all this now , seeing him do so well , win races , achieving podiums , taking the title fight to Michael , beating Michael , Giving back some of the treatment that Michael has done to everyone esle for the past 9 years ( 94 onwards).....If Juan did give Michael a good slagging , then good on him i say !...If Michael dishes it out , then he should expect the same back in return one day , and over the years ive heard so much hypocricy come out of his mouth .

Top class Juan !
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:18 (Ref:697534)   #55
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive just taken this from the press conference ....

what is up with this for heavens sake ?.all sounds ok to me .

Q: You said before this race you were thinking of points, thinking of the championship. You’re now one point away from Michael; what’s your attitude going to be towards the end of the season?
JPM: Well, you’ve gotta push. You have got to make sure you push. Michael has been pretty aggressive in racing. On the first lap I was going round the outside of him in turn two and he just threw his car at me completely. I was a bit shocked by that but if that’s the way he’s racing, that’s the way he’s racing. But that doesn’t really help him at the moment. He needed to score points today and he took one point.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:19 (Ref:697536)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
ive just taken this from the press conference ....

what is up with this for heavens sake ?.all sounds ok to me .

Q: You said before this race you were thinking of points, thinking of the championship. You’re now one point away from Michael; what’s your attitude going to be towards the end of the season?
JPM: Well, you’ve gotta push. You have got to make sure you push. Michael has been pretty aggressive in racing. On the first lap I was going round the outside of him in turn two and he just threw his car at me completely. I was a bit shocked by that but if that’s the way he’s racing, that’s the way he’s racing. But that doesn’t really help him at the moment. He needed to score points today and he took one point.
Me too.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:32 (Ref:697546)   #57
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do all these ppl hate montoya. He is not cracking under pressure, look at the past 7 races. MS qualified 8th and finished there as well! I dont know if he is hot headed but he is certainly confident in his abilities and that is great to see in a driver. F1 is much more exciting with him I think he is good for the sport.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:44 (Ref:697557)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good for you. But aren't Kimi and Mark plus a few others also good? And in the case of Kimi isn't he doing as well as our hero?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:45 (Ref:697558)   #59
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
He failed to press home any kind of attack today
What do you call his passing of Trulli, Michael and Webber in the duration due to his well-timed fast laps? I'd call that a decent attack, considering that he's stayed ahead of Kimi and closed the gap on Michael.

The title could come down to the 2 points from the Australia spin, but I could come down to the points Kimi lost (and the others gained on him) in the 2 German races, through no fault of his own, or the 6 points Michael's Hockenheim puncture cost him, or the 10 points (plus two extra points for Kimi and Micahel) when Montoay's engine failed in Austria. It's been that kind of championship, full of surprises and twists and turns.

Of course the pressure will be getting to Montoya, just as it is to Kimi,a dne ven Micahel. Temperamental characters like Juan will always react strongly to these thigns, and not always for their benefit, but it's always fun to watch.

This thread is pretty silly really, with a lot of mindless bashing and equally mindless fanboy worship. Montoya commented that the block from Michael was hard, but never actually said it was TOO hard. Juan's a racer, and so's Michaerl. They respect and fear each other. Let them get on with it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:58 (Ref:697565)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
What do you call his passing of Trulli, Michael and Webber in the duration due to his well-timed fast laps? I'd call that a decent attack, considering that he's stayed ahead of Kimi and closed the gap on Michael.
So you can still be a man and pass in the pits then.

Quote:
Of course the pressure will be getting to Montoya, just as it is to Kimi, a dne ven Micahel.
And you apparently?

Quote:
Temperamental characters like Juan will always react strongly to these thigns, and not always for their benefit, but it's always fun to watch.
In one! And of course we are entitled to our opinions.

Quote:
This thread is pretty silly really, with a lot of mindless bashing and equally mindless fanboy worship. Montoya commented that the block from Michael was hard, but never actually said it was TOO hard. Juan's a racer, and so's Michaerl. They respect and fear each other. Let them get on with it.
Well its not a silly thread at all. Its questioning the motivation of someone who wants to be WDC. Hopefully he'll win it then we can all look forward to a year or two of moaning about the inevitability of the championship. But if he fails? Gawd the excuses!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 24 Aug 2003 at 18:00.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:17 (Ref:697579)   #61
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
But aren't Kimi and Mark plus a few others also good? And in the case of Kimi isn't he doing as well as our hero?
but this thread wasnt about Kimi , Mark and the others .....it was about Juan.

Kimi is doing brilliantly i think , so is Webber ...and also .... so is Juan ( its just certain members dont want to admit to it for some reason .????

The main difference that i see between Juan and the others is that Juan just doesnt give a damm about Michael , He isnt fazed by him at all . Kimi and the others are great drivers , but as many races have proved Juan just isnt fazed by Michael.

And that is why i admire him as a driver . How many years have we seen people rather sit behind Michael rather than make a pass ?....Not Juan i dont think.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 19:11 (Ref:697631)   #62
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"On the first lap I was going round the outside of him in turn two and he just threw his car at me completely. I was a bit shocked by that..."

This is a ridiculous statement...coming from the man who squeezes MS off the track every chance he gets...

Monotya is full of it...

a bit shocked? You started it pal...

*it* *was* *for* *position*

geezuz...you ran a better race then him, what is this obsession with him? Windsor just asked you what happened at the start and you're telling us MS needs to score points and the he's just 'throwing his car' at you?

Get a grip, pal.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 19:21 (Ref:697640)   #63
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 24 Aug 2003, 19:24 (Ref:697642)   #64
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Foget about Nurburgring, Montoya beat Michael fair and square. This was much more blatant, and involved a car actualyl beign aimed at another, rather than merely blocking the space so as to force the rival to back off.

Montoya had every right to give his interpretation of the incident (which is, after all, "what happened at the start"), including his interpretation of Michael's motives.

Of course it was a strategic move to unnerve Michael, but there's nothing wrong with that. Montoya has destroyed a huge ponts gap, has been on schintilating form recently, and is only 1 point behind with Kimi right there too. Championships aren't only won on the track.

The pressure's getting to me Peter, and I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 20:06 (Ref:697669)   #65
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a crock...

MS did not 'aim his car' at Montoya...

geezuz, some of you are starting to believe Montoya's pathetic excuses...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 20:19 (Ref:697674)   #66
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am fully prepared to acknowledge JPM's success and all, but once he starts complaining about Michael's antics, he really needs a big fat realitycheck, rather sooner than later.

Oh, and try to keep the car on the grey stuff and in the right direction.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 20:30 (Ref:697680)   #67
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenw
This is a ridiculous statement...coming from the man who squeezes MS off the track every chance he gets...
Any examples? No? oh well, i'm sure it sounded good at the time.

Last edited by Damon; 24 Aug 2003 at 20:31.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:00 (Ref:697690)   #68
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenw
what a crock...
geezuz, some of you are starting to believe Montoya's pathetic excuses...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !.......

Can someone give me a nudge when she starts saying something that has any substance to it .

Last edited by Sato san; 24 Aug 2003 at 21:02.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:20 (Ref:697707)   #69
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair, I didn't watch this because ITV-F1 are useless - reading between the lines Montoya is having a poke at Schumi and how desperate he is starting to get. He's frustrated at the car, the tyres, the team, and the cracks will be showing if not now - in the next few races.

We all know how aggressive Schumi gets when it comes down to it
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:27 (Ref:697752)   #70
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They showed it on the SPEEDtv feed. Michael locked it up going into turn 2 but coming out of the corner he definitely gave JPM plenty enough room, certainly twice more than what JPM gave him back in Brazil and Austria 01. But since JPM was in championship/Ralf/sissy mode all passing on track should cease at once.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:04 (Ref:697789)   #71
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The title could come down to the 2 points from the Australia spin, but I could come down to the points Kimi lost (and the others gained on him) in the 2 German races, through no fault of his own, or the 6 points Michael's Hockenheim puncture cost him, or the 10 points (plus two extra points for Kimi and Micahel) when Montoay's engine failed in Austria. It's been that kind of championship, full of surprises and twists and turns.
Agreed, they have all made some errors during the season, and at least 3 will be kicking themselves after Suzuka.
Quote:
Kimi is doing brilliantly i think , so is Webber ...and also .... so is Juan
Agreed, agreed and agreed

Quote:
How many years have we seen people rather sit behind Michael rather than make a pass ?....Not Juan i dont think.
Well he did in this race, but it was the smart thing to do. Thats how you win championships.

C'mon guys, we just witnessed a great (Hungarian!!!!) grand prix, the youngest winner in decades, strong performances from many, and we now have one of the tightest championships in years. Are you driver fans, or race fans?

My driver had his points lead killed, and I could'nt be happier! I prefer this to another 1 driver snooze fest, but I'm a race fan.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:08 (Ref:697793)   #72
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Let's look at this sensibly

JPM was behind a lot of cars, and his aim was to get as many points as possible, which he did. He was held up by Trulli, and there ws no way that Trulli was going to let him pass - same as no way that Trulli was going to let SchM pass later on. By that time somebody in the Williams Head society must have worked it out that the only places JPM could make up was third, but behind Kimi. So they worked out the strategy for him to do so, which he did with his hot laps when others were in the pits. What's wrong with that? His aim is to win the WDC for Williams, and his tactics achieved the, maximum gain in points without him taking risky chances.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:02 (Ref:698021)   #73
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW V10
Why do all these ppl hate montoya. He is not cracking under pressure, look at the past 7 races. MS qualified 8th and finished there as well! I dont know if he is hot headed but he is certainly confident in his abilities and that is great to see in a driver. F1 is much more exciting with him I think he is good for the sport.
The simple answer is that about 95% of the people that hate Montoya are MS fans that cant stand to see that their 'Invincible' driver can actually be beaten

Last edited by Rossi # 46; 25 Aug 2003 at 09:10.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:08 (Ref:698026)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossi # 46
The simple answer is that about 95% of the people that hate Montoya are MS fans that cant stand to see that their 'Invincable' driver can actually be beaten
Agreed.

That is a very simple answer. Must have taken all of thrity seconds to come up with that.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:18 (Ref:698031)   #75
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rossi # 46
The simple answer is that about 95% of the people that hate Montoya are MS fans that cant stand to see that their 'Invincible' driver can actually be beaten
But then you can also say about 95% of the people that like Montoya are ex-Hill-JVil-Mika bandwagoners that hate MS and can't stand to see MS beat all 3 of them.
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm