Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:35 (Ref:744140)   #51
Aussiefan

Perhaps a naive question, but how does a country go about getting a GP? Is it a case of the country approaching the FIA or whoever?

It seems GP's don't go to countries that deserve them, rather than to those that try and make it happen. If that is Bahrain, China etc, so be it. Besides, a GP is more than a sporting event, it's an opportunity for more tourism, it's spin-offs and to make money of course.

Old 8 Oct 2003, 14:44 (Ref:744149)   #52
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a question of a promoter approaching Bernie Ecclestone.The national motorsport authority approaching the FIA for a date on the calendar seems to be a formality.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 17:15 (Ref:744321)   #53
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cobra
Theres nothing snobby about it it is all about TV money it has to be and if that is the case then it will lose its character.]

Now come on Mark, the F1 business has already established it's TV base world wide. Any extra viewers will no doubt increase the profit of the local moguls, but will have little effect on the F1 budget.

No, Jay is right, the shift in the business towards the developing world is due entirely to the tobacco budget. If you are managing a multi-million pound business and there are threats in the market, you look for other outlets, or diversify your product.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
[No-one can believe that a working Indian man will be able to afford to watch a GP and that being the case there will be race after race of empty grandstands and where is the character in that. Imagine how many tellys there will be in ten years though in india and China (both emerging as strong economies) now who was the character that thought of that...
Sorry, but when were you last in either India or China?

While I agree the comments could aply to some of the rural areas (particularly S. China) even there most villages have a communal TV set, though again in China the programs are very "government".

Check the cities and towns and you will see a different story, while not having the "blessings" of USA or Europe, I would hardly call the average working man so poor that he can't afford a ticket. (USGP 3 day ticket was $50)

I just hope Downforce is not too offended by your comments on him and his countrymen.

Paddywic, enjoy Japan, and I hope you have a injhteresting time in China, which part are you going to? If you are outside Bejing make sure you check the hotel room before agreeing the price, - you will be amazed at some of the "luxury" rooms on offer.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 19:04 (Ref:744420)   #54
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Naah! not offended. Jus amused at the ignorance levels.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:21 (Ref:745354)   #55
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all my comments were not and never would be offensive!

Neither did I make them out of ignorance I made them because I know things like this
"Of course, the pay is crappy (about 12,000 rupees per month or $300 in real money) since I work at a former missionary school, but since everyone around us is so poor (average weekly income is 400-500 rupees a month) you can live like kings up in the Garhwal hills."
The school in question is in a small town in Mussoorie, Uttaranchal.

On those figures the race goers would have to be paid to attend.
I would love to see good things happening, not just in India but in a lot of other deserving places in the world!!!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 15:34 (Ref:745371)   #56
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In India they face a dilemma over the equation of the huge cost of building a circuit, versus the employment and re-generation potential of the area.

India and China particularly, are still very much developing markets for western products and brands, with all the potential for F1 sponsors that lies there for future growth.

I have read that Renault are developing a very low cost car aimed at markets like China, so they will certainly be keen to exploit marketing opportunities in the Far East.

The F1 calendar will evolve as more 'markets' become open, and that is fair enough as long as it develops for the right reasons. The fear is that the FIA will be left chasing the tobacco dollar around the globe in order to keep enough venues on the calendar that accept tobacco advertising.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 13:37 (Ref:746311)   #57
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodstock pays 12k a month?;-)

What we're concluding here Cobra, is that Missionary School teachers cannot make it to the proposed Indian GP. Agreed. And thats quite sad, really.

Who you're forgetting are the 15 million Engineers produced every year in the state of Karnataka itself [South India] over 35% of them heading to the US into the HPs, IBMs and Microsofts on contracts. Needless to mention their salaries are 'sweet'.[abt 48-60 thou USD$??? per annum]

In the cities and not the hills we [the F1 fan, the revhead, the motomen etc] drive cars equipped with power steering/windows, CD changers, alloy wheels...dfghjklyuiop!!!

Not exactly a kingslife but more closer to the F1 breed. We dont need to be paid to attend a sport we love..noway sir! Infact right now we fly to Sepang to watch'em GPs, the two-wheeled kind too.

F1 is in Austria..but Im not sure theyll match that construction in Mussoorie..so do climb down the hill and meet the latest breed of city slickers in India. Theyre international. ;-)

Back to topic, i do agree with Supertourer about F1 chasing the tobacco dollar...thats not nice at all.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 17:01 (Ref:746519)   #58
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darn right, I'm off to China for the GP. Yeah, Jordan GP do have branding from CCTV.

Post here on your return please, Paddywic.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 22:29 (Ref:746777)   #59
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by downforce
Back to topic, i do agree with Supertourer about F1 chasing the tobacco dollar...thats not nice at all.
After all, it is the tobacco money that (unfortunately) pays the bills. Just think about the worldwide market and how Bernie & Co can thumb their noses (literally) at the countries that have forbidden tobacco advertising. The cars embellished with sponsor logos as well as the crews parade on international TV and can't be blocked out.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 22:24 (Ref:750283)   #60
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
First of all my comments were not and never would be offensive!

Neither did I make them out of ignorance......

... I would love to see good things happening, not just in India but in a lot of other deserving places in the world!!!
Sorry Cobra, should have realised from your signature you had conections with the area.

It's a small world, I came through that way in '98, when I was still climbing (as well as racing!)looking at a route to Bandarpunch and the peaks to the east, after not being able to travel up through Kashmir & Pakistan. Went on from there into Napal, Tibet and SE China with Himalayan Kingdoms out of Bristol.

It is of course a long way north of Downforce's location, but my recollections are of a old hill town with a fair proportion of modern buildings and a thriving commerce. I do appreciate your points on salaries though, and would endorse your view of getting to a better world.

This is way off thread, but if anyone is interested this link gives a good idea of the area, it is beautiful.

http://www.geocities.com/ranj74/mussoorie.html

enjoy