Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Feb 2004, 00:07 (Ref:870098)   #51
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spook
PS - you have been timing too long "second last second" ??
Ahhh shaddup - 'second last sentence' - too busy trying to finish of tax for 2001/2002!
Old 11 Feb 2004, 00:10 (Ref:870101)   #52
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by spook
BTW RaceTime, the TOSG does not say Timing Rooms have to be air-conditioned or heated.
That would be right.

And guess who is the first to complain when timing computers die because of the heat (Phillip Island on a number of occasions)

Then, of course, there are the control towers that are built with high windows, no blinds and facing into the sun from 9am until after 3pm.....

And they wonder why control tower personnel (not just timekeepers) look all hot and bothered in the afternoons....
Old 11 Feb 2004, 00:35 (Ref:870118)   #53
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
That would be right.
And guess who is the first to complain when timing computers die because of the heat (Phillip Island on a number of occasions)
I find that really really hard to believe RT, remember I grew up down there. I think on this occasion you MIGHT be talking .

Last edited by Big Trev; 11 Feb 2004 at 00:36.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 00:52 (Ref:870130)   #54
RaceTime
Veteran

Twue - it's Twue (thanks to Blazing Saddles...)

Had a meeting a few years ago in early Feb at the Island - temp that day was in the very high 30's - in the timing room, over 40. We had already had a couple of computers fail - no windows to open and NO air conditioner...then the two owners walked in - saw the crowd (over 20 hangers on stuffed in there...), nearly collapsed because of the heat - next meeting we had a single airconditioner right down the far end of the room. Better than nothing I guess - but doesn't help inNovember when it gets hot - too big a room for too small an AC.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 09:27 (Ref:870371)   #55
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT - you should try the timing room at QR one day - air conditioned (ducted system, with full length roller blinds to ward off the afternoon sun. Oh, and carpet on the floor.

But back to topic - I spoke to Standards Australia today to find out for myself what was going on.

1/- They will be hosting an industry forum soon to discuss the new standard to be drafted by the industry (all players).

2/- They will also be issuing a press release in the near future, correcting the mis-truths about Standards Australia and the process for creation of Standards contained in the recent CAMS press release.

3/- The new standards will happen whether CAMS likes it or not.

4/- CAMS cannot plead ignorance as they have been fully briefed face to face by Standards Australia as to the process and review system to create a new standard.

Last edited by spook; 11 Feb 2004 at 09:30.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:42 (Ref:870453)   #56
RaceTime
Veteran

Sounds to me like CAMS are officially going to get their faces slapped....
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:44 (Ref:870456)   #57
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So who or what initiated the setting of these standards? Its obviously not CAMS, so is it an FIA initiative?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:48 (Ref:870460)   #58
RaceTime
Veteran

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't an unwanted side effect of their attempts to meddle in the NSW laws pertaining to motor sport...
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:57 (Ref:870473)   #59
spook
Veteran

Standards Australia are professsional facilitators who provide a service to industry/government. When a need for a standard is determined (usually by request), SA co-ordinate industry experts to pool their knowledge into a draft standard. The draft standard is then reviewed by more experts until a final standard is produced. So SA do not profess to be experts in any field except "effective detailed communication skills".

I don't know who fielded the initial request, but it can only be good for our industry to have a standard that is not sourced from any specific group, but compiled by all stakeholders in the industry - competitors, professional teams, professional promotors, track operators, suppliers, officials, insurers, permit suppliers and SPECTATORS etc. etc..
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:02 (Ref:870481)   #60
spook
Veteran

Racetime, I have suggested to SA that they supply Racenews with a copy of their press release to ensure it reaches all those who may have been misled by the recent CAMS release.

I have also directed them to this discussion forum, as they were unaware of the interest here in the proposed standard.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:05 (Ref:870485)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dont get me wrong spook, I like the idea.... and if CAMS adopt the processes and practices in their ultimate overhaul, then all the better.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:18 (Ref:870497)   #62
spook
Veteran

GTRMagic, as a member of this industry, if you feel there are areas in a Standard where you can advise, just give SA a call and you will be included in the process.

Even if it is just a suggestion of areas that should be covered, not the detail itself, it all helps to ensure the Standard suits and supports our industry. Make a difference, contribute!.

Last edited by spook; 11 Feb 2004 at 11:19.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:33 (Ref:870507)   #63
RaceTime
Veteran

Please - don't anyone take this the wrong way - it isn't meant to be....

I can just see what is already going on inside CAMS - IMHO they are going to fight tooth and nail to stop this process because, by its very nature, it has to include every aspect of motor racing - and this is something CAMS will not like - they will have no control over the process.

However - the end result can only be good. There will be some people who will NOT like the outcome because it will mean the wekening of their power base. For others it will strengthen their, whilst for other groups they will finally see the realisation of their aspirations and dreams - a potentially united motor sport.

For a small group of people, this eventuality will be intolerable - they are NOT going to like this one little bit. But, putting my foot firmly inmy mouth by saying this - tough luck people - if you had just once, in the past 10 to 12 years, just once acknowledged that you aren't the all-powerful Gods you have professed to be, had just once acknowledged that others outside of CAMS could possibly, just possibly, have loved the sport and had been working FOR it in stead of declaring them to be demons - then just maybe this would never have gone down the path it currently is. It might not have pitted people who love this sport against each other.

I just hope that some people have been reading all of this and learning that by hiding behind closed doors you have done more to harm this sport than you can imagine.

And if you can read names into this - ewll then you obviously recognise yourselves - because I haven't named any names here, and certainly hacen't identified those who I believe should be hanging your heads in shame.

Now - time for a rality check....
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:42 (Ref:870517)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Reality check? Hmmm....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:50 (Ref:870529)   #65
RaceTime
Veteran

Arghhhh! And I even spelt it incorrectly (but wasn't thinking of that particular coward...
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:53 (Ref:870533)   #66
spook
Veteran

If CAMS do not get involved in the development of this standard, then they are greater fools than we have all imagined.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:58 (Ref:870537)   #67
RaceTime
Veteran

Oh they will get involved - no doubt about that - but the extent to which they will get involved and what they will attempt to do to the process is left wide open.

Last edited by RaceTime; 11 Feb 2004 at 11:59.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 21:10 (Ref:871186)   #68
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if the Osbournes do get involved it would be very limited and only when they are forced to contribute. They seem very reluctant.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 01:16 (Ref:871393)   #69
Heather Wallace
Rookie

Heather Wallace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, The process of setting up an Australian Standard for motor sport was initiated by Winton Motor Raceway in conjunction with their Risk Management advisor.

The AASA are very conscious of safety and risk management in motorsport and are not into contolling motor sport but putting an AS in place so that each category, discipline and track operator have a 'standard' under which to operate and enjoy their motor sport.

For the record, when Government Authorities were contacted regarding the setting up of an AS for motorsport, they congratulated Winton Motor Raceway on its 'pro-active' initiative in commencing the procedures to put in place an AS for motorsport.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 06:46 (Ref:871523)   #70
Big Trev
Racer

Hi Heather, and welcome. I look forward to your input.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 21:00 (Ref:872391)   #71
acotrel
Racer

acotrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many companies write a clause into their management systems which promotes intention to 'show preference to ISO9000 certified organisations'. If CAMS was really interested in providing a quality service, I would expect them to do likewise!!
Old 13 Feb 2004, 09:35 (Ref:872871)   #72
acotrel
Racer

acotrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heather, I believe that when AASA discussed the idea of developing Standard Risk Management Guidelines for the Motor Racing Industry, with that particular authority, the comment was effectively: 'due to my position I regret I am unable to give my written affirmation, however I congratulate you on your proactive approach to safety'.
I suggest that CAMS should give much consideration to these words - THINK HARD AND LONG!!
Old 13 Feb 2004, 09:47 (Ref:872887)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by Heather Wallace
GTR, The process of setting up an Australian Standard for motor sport was initiated by Winton Motor Raceway in conjunction with their Risk Management advisor.
An innovative approach, well done to all concerned.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:18 (Ref:876347)   #74
spook
Veteran

I heard a comment on the week-end that absolutely floored me.

It was from someone loyal to the CAMS organisation who said their objection to an Australian Standard for Motor Racing was that "it would mean that all the circuits would have to be exactly the same - same shape, corners, everything".

They really have no idea.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:21 (Ref:876354)   #75
Big Trev
Racer

As has been stated a number of times, they (CAMS) really have made themselves look stupid over this whole issue, and anyone who doesn't understand this type of process really ought to keep their mouths shut, it saves them from looking ignorant.