Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Feb 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1215517)   #51
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sometimes I think that drivers think that us women are a soft touch. Many a time have I been asked by a driver if they can do something that the IO has already told them they can't! They seem shocked when I say no they can't!!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1215534)   #52
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
The drivers just need to get to know you. Usually the ones off at my post are on the scrounge for a cigarette!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1215740)   #53
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit I prefer to have at least 1 lady on my post, it does seem to have an affect on the behaviour of male marshals & the language certainly calms down, at least for a few sessions.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1215753)   #54
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit-there are some very dodgy ones around....take Evil for example!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1215805)   #55
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, I'll defend her, i only met her in Hailwoods at last years F.F.Festival but she talked a lot of sense.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1216005)   #56
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-mental
You bet ya !!!!!!!!!!

She maybe on the otherside of the world, but don't forget Lucy Taylder, equally scary woman!

Now terrorising the Colonials!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1216009)   #57
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-mental
Should I give you a slap now ?
You'd already been mentioned, and we don't see you much at hill climbs.

Then again, if you're offering
Old 2 Feb 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1216046)   #58
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put any women in charge and get on the wrong side of her ooooo woe be tide you!

she'll rip yer knackers off

verbally of course and in front of everybody else
Old 3 Feb 2005, 00:30 (Ref:1216062)   #59
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Don't you think it's time we started getting more lady drivers to even things up a bit?
Now is the time for me to make a very controversial statement. I make it in jest and with tongue firmly in cheek - far preferable to having Sheila's broomstick inserted where the sun don't shine.

Don't you think it's time we started getting more lady drivers to even things up a bit?

"Is this wise with marshalling numbers - allegedly - decreasing. Surely we don't want to increase the workload on the marshals we've still got"

I'm off now to the Disguise Shop to buy the best one that money can buy. 's will have to do as a start.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1216152)   #60
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Hey, I'll defend her, i only met her in Hailwoods at last years F.F.Festival but she talked a lot of sense.
You sure? Doesn't sound like me.......
Old 3 Feb 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1216190)   #61
AndyCox
Rookie

England
Leicester
AndyCox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's the 2 nicky's (I know the're spelt differently) Gottlieb and Funnell, Sue Blood and Jenneane too, and loads more that go to Dono and Mallory.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1216229)   #62
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCox
There's the 2 nicky's .........Gottlieb

That's "Mini-Mental" Andy!!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1216307)   #63
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then theres me!!!!!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1216328)   #64
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Yeah you're scary alright - soon as you show up on post, incidents evaporate!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1216332)   #65
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That takes alot of time and practice u no ter!!!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1216916)   #66
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Now is the time for me to make a very controversial statement. I make it in jest and with tongue firmly in cheek - far preferable to having Sheila's broomstick inserted where the sun don't shine.

"Is this wise with marshalling numbers - allegedly - decreasing. Surely we don't want to increase the workload on the marshals we've still got"

I'm off now to the Disguise Shop to buy the best one that money can buy. 's will have to do as a start.
Well, obviously, we'd have to get rid of a lot of the male drivers first, Diz!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1217608)   #67
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't know whether to be relieved or offended not to have been mentioned yet! Just for the record 'tho, I can think of 3 occasions at Cadwell when we have had an all-female post. A couple of drivers did seem a little taken aback!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1217642)   #68
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having been mentioned at the start of this thread, I shall add my two pennethworth - Sue Whitlock doing such a sterling job for the BMMC; Jan Walker & Sheila Sims & Fiona (Truman as was) who make talking to Race Control almost a joy; Audrey Watt for the efforts she puts into North Region; my mum!

Seriously, when I started out at Oulton Park in 1990 there weren't many of us ladies about, so it is really nice to see just how many of us there are these days. We always talked about all-female posts but I have yet to be on one.

Mind you, having read about 8 burly aussie marshals shifting an F1 car by hand 'cos Mark Webber was 5th (thus avoiding a re-start) - we still need you men, you know!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1217675)   #69
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I prefer to work on a post that has a good mix of ladies and gents.......some young, some not so young.
The older folks can give advice based on their experiences whilst the young 'uns are our future senior officials etc.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1217771)   #70
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
These days it seems that at some meetings the majority of assembly, pits and startline marshals are ladies - which doesn't give me a problem. What does worry me though is the underlying reason for this. These jobs are all extremely hard ones (anyone who is an "off course" marshal will confirm that they are constantly busy) and involve a great deal of in depth knowledge of regulations and how to interpret them correctly.

Anyone got any thoughts as to why more women than men seem to prefer the off-course stuff?
Old 5 Feb 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1217871)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wild supposition and sterotyping warning:

Girls like people, boys like cars. Seems logical that the girls would want to be where the people are and the boys want to be where the bent cars are.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1217928)   #72
mini-mental
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
mini-mental should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley

Girls like people, boys like cars. Seems logical that the girls would want to be where the people are and the boys want to be where the bent cars are.
I have another stereotype warning. It's the old Brains and Braun theory.

I will disagree with your theory however. Being a LADY marshal on the bank myself, I can tell you that people like cars and girls like boys !!!!! Being a lover of the bent car myself, I can see the male attraction.

Following Sheila M's appearance on Racing Rivals, I can also see the female attraction of off-course work. Being able to be bossy and mothering is great!!! (No offence Sheila).
Old 5 Feb 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1218256)   #73
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was talk of us putting out an all female crew for the Formula Women series when they visited Cadwell. We decided against it in the end
Old 5 Feb 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1218258)   #74
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs flagwaver has just reminded me that it should say rescue crew. Women!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1218403)   #75
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley

We get all of the above in the pit lane!