Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1242288)   #51
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead
in every other sport or business its a case of majority rules - if the majority votes one way then that is what happens! Why is F1 ANY different????
It *IS* a case or majority rules. In Formula 1. The majority has decided and agreed these new rules. In septemper. And guess what, Mr. Stoddard Paul voted for them too..
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1242300)   #52
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
It *IS* a case or majority rules. In Formula 1. The majority has decided and agreed these new rules. In septemper. And guess what, Mr. Stoddard Paul voted for them too..
But the majority also accepted that it was OK for Minardi to go with the old spec cars... only Ferrari objected, and then it seems Red Bull and one other joined in. You can't have it both ways.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1242303)   #53
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If Minardi cannot compete any longer than they should be off the grid. This whole charade that PS has been running these past few seasons with all of the "drama" as to who would pay top dollar to drive a Minardow that had no hope or potential to be anything but the end of the grid.

Now this farce of whining about how he can't do this or that because Jean Todt and the FIA are making scary faces at him has gone far enough.

PS/Minardi do not belong on the grid. Much as I abhor today's "economic reality" in F1, every other team on the grid has figured out how to at least look like they are putting up some show of respectability. For all of the Jordan's quirks from last year the Team managed some respectable results.

Instead we get young pay drivers forking over $$ that should be getting them a great deal more than what they are paying for.

PS should spend the time he currently utilizes to paint himself as the poster boy for the down-trodden to do something useful such as either find a buyer or more sponsorship.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1242304)   #54
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
But the majority also accepted that it was OK for Minardi to go with the old spec cars... only Ferrari objected, and then it seems Red Bull and one other joined in. You can't have it both ways.
case closed
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1242305)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is not some competition to pick on little things people say and go "ner ner na ner ner" after it.

What is interesting is that an external court has got involved in the happenings of a GP weekend. That hasn't happened for some time.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1242308)   #56
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Nono, case not closed. Or closed, but not the way you want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
As a matter of fact I can. The stewards are doing what they're payd to do: to check if anyone is trying to circumvert the *agreed by majority* set of rules. It's not Ferrari's (or RBR, since we're at it, and according to Maximilian Mosley at least another unnamed team) job to check Minardi. And even if all teams would sign that phantasy letter and allow them to race, the stewards STILL have to ban those car. They are supposed to do that.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1242317)   #57
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But then you could also say a majority of Minardi's competition who'd have the most to lose by them competiting have agreed to let them race...and this is the same majority who made the rules and dont mind it being violated......always two sides to a story...depends on who you support
As i said before this is just a big mess...and if PS has these 2005 aero parts he should just put them on the car and go out there.....he's still going to be slowest with the 04 spec. judging by the times today...
Old 4 Mar 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1242318)   #58
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
This is not some competition to pick on little things people say and go "ner ner na ner ner" after it.

What is interesting is that an external court has got involved in the happenings of a GP weekend. That hasn't happened for some time.
Quite, I'm curious as to how a court would be able to make a ruling on such a complicated matter as FIA tech regs/implications of the CA in the space of a day?
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1242326)   #59
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoddard
"Now it's in the hands of the court, I really can't say anymore than that except that Minardi will be participating tomorrow, as usual, at the Grand Prix," Stoddart said. "It's really fantastic to actually get on the track in the wake of all the publicity."
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1242327)   #60
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmm, tried to look for where I might possibly buy a Minardi t-shirt on the web, but it seems Minardi sold more ex-F1 cars than t-shirts last year.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1242330)   #61
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Quite, I'm curious as to how a court would be able to make a ruling on such a complicated matter as FIA tech regs/implications of the CA in the space of a day?

I think all they have to do is establish reasonable grounds that minardi have a case?
Enough to allow them to run under protest-they can deal with the exact ruling afterwards
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1242332)   #62
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
He doesn't need that. He'll just fit the 2005-parts, and claim the largest audience over all GP weekend.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1242338)   #63
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they apply the 2005 parts now, the cars will be uncompetitive, prone to spinning (because the aero parts won't've been tested with the chassis), and quite possibly dangerous. Also, their rookie drivers have missed out on 3 hours of vital testing, and PS' home GP has been scuppered for him. There's no way this should've lingered on this long, someone should've made a definite decision much sooner. Minardi have been planning towards this new car for a long time, and obviously want it to be as good as their meagre budgets can manage - cost-cutting rules shouldn't cost the smallest team money.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1242356)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In truth Minardi should have made the decision to build the new car. It is a no brainer really.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1242359)   #65
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
someone should've made a definite decision much sooner.
Yes, Paul Stoddart should have. He has 2005 spec wings. He has tested them (see Super Tourer's post a bit further up this thread).
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1242361)   #66
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
It's none other than Stoddard's fault that his rookies missed 2 sessions today.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1242380)   #67
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
If they apply the 2005 parts now, the cars will be uncompetitive, prone to spinning .....
AS opposed to if they dont andrun last years cars which were uncompetitive and prone to spinning....
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1242453)   #68
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As there is no case of "force majeure" as referred to by the rules and regulations, there is no legal reason to accept one team running with 2004 specs and not the other nine as well. Ferrari, RBR and Jordand-Midland did not sign the waiver because they cannot be forced to do so. The only legal body able to enact the rules and regulations is FIA.
I like Minardi, but I think Stoddart has a hidden agenda on this matter and that he may be pursuing other interests.....
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1242466)   #69
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest is that Stoddy has uinconditionally withdrawn the complaint from the court, and is going to comply with a 2005 spec car....

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23689
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1242472)   #70
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
As if he ever had a case. Anyway, one of his main goals was reached. Publicity.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1242475)   #71
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
That's what I was wondering. It sets a very bad precedent if it's true... teams can now go to a local court to rule on what is essentially a technical matter (tempted to use the phrase "kangaroo court" here, but that tends to have a different meaning ). The car doesn't meet the 2005 technical regulations, so that should be the end of it.

Should Ferrari go to a local Italian court to get a ruling on technical matters arrising at Monza? Can a championship be decided by Honda or Toyota going to a local Japanese court at the penultimate round at Suzuka, or maybe some team could try their luck with a Chinese court's understanding of the F1 technical regulations at the final round at Shanghai?

I'm hoping there is some way Paul Stoddart and his team can be thrown out of the championship for bring the series into disrepute, and we don't have to put up with this sort of thing too much longer. F1 should be for teams who willing to build and race current spec F1 cars (which he could do if he wished). If he wants to race pre-2005 spec F1 cars, then maybe he can find a historic series he can enter.

Last edited by alfasud; 4 Mar 2005 at 17:01. Reason: typos again :-)
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1242476)   #72
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One news story that we all missed in this furore is that Minardi have a 2004 car. I thought it was a 2001 spec car.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1242478)   #73
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1242480)   #74
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_carzy
The latest is that Stoddy has uinconditionally withdrawn the complaint from the court, and is going to comply with a 2005 spec car....

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23689
I liked the bit at the end of the article....

Quote:
It remains to be seen how the FIA will react, for Stoddart has challenged - with a little help from the Supreme Court of Victoria - the sport's governing body, and this in itself could set a dangerous precedent..

It is worth remembering that in 2006, Melbourne hosts the commonwealth Games. Imagine the scenario whereby an athlete entered in the 100 metres suggests that they haven't had time to train properly and therefore requests that they only have to run 80 metres. Then, on being told that this is not possible, they resort to the Supreme Court of Victoria to challenge the ruling.

That's not as crazy as it sounds, not after today's events.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1242489)   #75
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sad thing is that it looks like it has been a win win situation for Stoddart, either he got to race 2004 spec cars or (as he has now) he has got a lot of publisity at his home GP and all 'normal' viewers still think Ferrari and FIA are the bad guys.