Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Vote on which Q session you want from the choices supplied by the FIA.
Proposal 1 20 28.17%
Proposal 2 38 53.52%
Current format 8 11.27%
No preference 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Jul 2005, 20:18 (Ref:1356506)   #51
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
to be honest i would like to see the old qualy format back. you know the old 1 hour, 12 laps per driver thing
Old 16 Jul 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1356704)   #52
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add an additional choice, as it appears a lot of people like myself want a return to the 1 hour qualifying. Either restricted or 12 laps. THAT WOULD GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1356750)   #53
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cant vote as none of the options look that good to me, I'd like the old 1 hour/12 laps format back please...
Old 16 Jul 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1356782)   #54
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I cant vote as none of the options look that good to me, I'd like the old 1 hour/12 laps format back please...
Doesn't look like we're going to get that option does it.But at least we will be going back to multi-lap qually which is better than we have now.

I chose option 2 because out of the two it was my preference and i don't like the current system.I hate those types of questions too.It's like asking if you would prefer a green Ferrari to a brown one when you know the colour you want is red.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1358206)   #55
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a very interesting article on pitpass at the moment where they claim they received an email from a "well-placed F1 insider":

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=25228

Basically, the insider said to all those hoping for the return of the pure 12-lap qualifying session that with the present rules concerning engines, the fans are more likely to see 40 minutes of empty track rather than 15-20 minutes as it used to be, because as soon as a driver puts down a fast time, to conserve the engine, he won't go out again.

The insider said that the second option was probably the better option in terms of entertaining the fans, because you'll have at least one lap from every driver, and possibly more as they jockey for position to escape the cut, regardless of the engine rule. Then when the first 5 drivers are cut, they are available for interviews, ditto with the next group of 5 drivers.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1358268)   #56
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
The insider said that the second option was probably the better option in terms of entertaining the fans, because you'll have at least one lap from every driver, and possibly more as they jockey for position to escape the cut, regardless of the engine rule. Then when the first 5 drivers are cut, they are available for interviews, ditto with the next group of 5 drivers.
NAIL.HAMMER.HEAD!

This is why I like option 2....drivers would have to be out on track! The first option and the original one would have drivers run for a lap or two and then nothing for the rest of the session unless they got pushed down the order!

I also like to see a variation of option 2 with a 40-60min(whatever works best) quali and then a V8 Supercar style, top 10, single lap shoot out

It would work if we had not tyre/fuel/engine ristrictions OR have a seperate tire/engine for quali and another for racing........not sure how that would work
Old 20 Jul 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1359099)   #57
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
One hour 12 laps no fuel limit..may the best driver and team win!
I agree but maybe with a twist. All cars must complete 6 laps or start from the back of the grid - That way the track should be busy most of the time.

OR more simply

1 hour session - 6 laps minimum and no maximum. No other regs on qualifying.
2 WC points for pole position to encourage teams to go flat out!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1359114)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
One hour 12 laps no fuel limit..may the best driver and team win!
Yes, agree with that with the additional proviso that each driver has to do their first set of qualifying laps within the first 15 minutes to overcome the criticism of the long wait for spectators.

Both of the proposals are no better than the existing; they don't really address the issues and I see little point in replacing the existing qualifying session with another equally dire one. Therefore, given the limited choice, I'm voting for no change - the best of a poor set of choices. 'No preference' seems like a vote for a resigned acceptance of whatever is implemented. Maybe they should have created an 'other options' category which probably would have won and made them think again and come up with a better set of proposals - oh, how naive of me!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1359118)   #59
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastracer
I feel both proposals are a bit silly. Aggregate qualifying already proved to be rather unpopular this season, so bringing it back would be a mistake.
I think one reason aggregate qualifying was unpopular is that people were unable to watch it.
Having both sessions on air at the same time should solve most of their problems.

In many ways, Proposal 1 is like the old, no fuel, unrestricted,12laps - but without the dawdling at the beginning and the empty track. I'm sure the aggregate system will end up working fine when we're watching it all.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1359128)   #60
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you brought back the old 60 minute system. drivers would only do one lap each to save tyres and fuel, unless that lap somehow went wrong. Also, tehir in laps would be much slower, and the dangers of a car at full speed coming up ebhind a slow car are massive.

Also, bringing back special qualifying engines and tyres would just dramaticlaly increase the cost with no real benefit to the fans. Amazing that in the text of the thread so many are ranting about how bad the new ideas are, or how great the old one was, yet the poll results don't bear them out, and suggest that people do like the new ideas.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1359448)   #61
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think what the results show is that people do not like what we currently have, and are willing to give something out of the other options a go.

The practical problems of incredibly slow in-laps to save fuel, or drivers not running in order to save engines.

Just make it mandatory that x-number of laps have to be completed, and let them re-fuel after qualifying (but the car used in qualifying must be the one used in the race).

I think then that you would find the teams going for the times ala 3/4-lap runs - I wouldn't see it being worth their while to crawl around slowly on say 8 laps just to use up the total.

(I guess Minardi might find it worthwhile, but they are lead by the righteous Paul Stoddart and he would never cheat the fans like that!)

Well, that is just my intitial thoughts at this moment. I await eagerly for the flaws to be pointed out in detail!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1359541)   #62
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the majority is against current format. Interesting.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1359572)   #63
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed
I'm not; other than moving the 2nd qualy to the Saturday. I think if you ask the drivers, to a man they will admit that running a hot lap or the current 2 hot laps in separate sessions, is much more intense, and difficult. It can be particularly so, in changing weather conditions as we witnessed earlier this year. The current format where only 2 laps are run is also consistent and more conducive with the tyre/engine rules.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1359888)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed
Yes, as I am, but I still voted to keep it, since I see little point in voting for proposals that, in my opinion, are no better, and probably worse.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1360126)   #65
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When will the FIA wake up and smell the coffee, the old 60-minute, 12 lap system was the best.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1360163)   #66
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_kyle
When will the FIA wake up and smell the coffee, the old 60-minute, 12 lap system was the best.
Unfortunately under the current engine regulations, smelling coffee is all that will happen for the first 40 minutes of the session.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1361343)   #67
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me proposal 1 is the most sensible don't see how it's complicated as some others have said - it's the same idea as current format except one session where a time has to be set in each half and these are aggregated as they are now. Bonus is no race fuel.

For me - scrap one set of tyres and engines lasting 2 races - keep the penalty for an engine change as that makes for interesting grids throw in more mechanical grip and let's have some racing.

I think the cost-cutting is a reasonable idea but hey this is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport - so let the teams keep pushing the envelope.
Old 23 Jul 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1361427)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Unfortunately under the current engine regulations, smelling coffee is all that will happen for the first 40 minutes of the session.
Agreed,but with a little tinkering it could be made to work.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1363180)   #69
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Qualifying format

As you will know the Formula 1 is trying to find a suitable qualy format, well why can we not just go back to the 1 hour free for all session, No aggregate times no single lap shoot outs just the drivers going for it.

Your Thoughts?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1363185)   #70
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying

I don't know the 1 lap shoot out system has really grown on me and I find it suspensiful. Although I would like them to run on fumes instead of race fuel and allow the teams to come up with strategies on race day.

I never really liked qualifying before hand because it was to hard to for the cameras to catch everyones lap, this way all the sponsors get air time and all the drivers get at least on full lap of focus put on them.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1363190)   #71
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Qualifying discussion threads merged. Thanks.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1363194)   #72
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I notice hat ITV were also asking us to vote for which proposal we wanted. We could only chose 1 or 2 on their telly vote (on f.com you can chose 1,2 no change or don't care).

Was this for their own amusement or does it count towards the overall vote. Did every broadcaster do the same? I don't think they mentioned that the idea was that they were asking the fans for input.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1363204)   #73
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ITV's poll was for their own interest - but they will pass the results to the FIA.

Lets bear in mind the FIA website poll is an opinion seeking exercise - it's not going to be a binding decision!
Old 25 Jul 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1363213)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
oh yes, I understand that the winning result will be passed on to the teams. If they reach a unanimous decision...