Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1420769)   #51
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren should win the WCC. The car seems to be reliable now so they'll wrap it up nicely, probably with a couple of 1-2s in the end just to prove a point.

Pity they've wasted Kimi's chance with so much unreliability.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1420969)   #52
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is reliability coming to them now, just as it's too late? Kimi's kept it in the race for a few now, hasn't he...?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1425596)   #53
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Thought i'd bring this back to the front page

Speed vs reliability, who will take it?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1425602)   #54
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
both please.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1425607)   #55
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
You have both McLaren will take it.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1426123)   #56
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The distinctive Mercedes engine note could be heard in practice - "bang" would be a good way to describe the noise, followed by the crackle and pop of the flames. McLaren it seems just will not back off, and yet again they are paying the price. They could (presumably) knock a big chunk of performance off the car and get the reliability they need, and still have a car as quick as the Renaults - then they just duke it out with equal performance and rely on their supposedly superior drivers (according to Ron). Oversimplification, sure - but the point is they patently have not cracked this reliability issue.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1426302)   #57
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For many years now.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1429406)   #58
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Yes Dutton, I was exaggerating.

I would truthfully say Michaels chances of finishing third are about 10%.

You can up that to about 20%
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1429407)   #59
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See I have been "promoted" to a racer! Sweet.....
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1429450)   #60
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
McLaren it seems just will not back off, and yet again they are paying the price. They could (presumably) knock a big chunk of performance off the car and get the reliability they need, and still have a car as quick as the Renaults -
Well, the McLarn can still win from the back, dispite an engine penalty.

It's going to be too close to call now imo. [joke] Here's to JPM qualifying early then the rain lashing down the minute he come's in [/joke]
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1429517)   #61
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Well, the McLarn can still win from the back, dispite an engine penalty.
Well, yea - but it isn't as if that would be their first choice! Just because they CAN win from the back, doesn't mean they always do - they are substantially more likely to score a 1-2 if the drivers don't have to battle through the field.

My bet is still on Renault.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1429875)   #62
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
The distinctive Mercedes engine note could be heard in practice - "bang" would be a good way to describe the noise, followed by the crackle and pop of the flames. McLaren it seems just will not back off, and yet again they are paying the price. They could (presumably) knock a big chunk of performance off the car and get the reliability they need, and still have a car as quick as the Renaults - then they just duke it out with equal performance and rely on their supposedly superior drivers (according to Ron). Oversimplification, sure - but the point is they patently have not cracked this reliability issue.
Very good point indeed, I like it. Both Kimi and JPM are way better than Fisi, so yeah, McLaren could afford to peg it back a bit. Trouble is, Ron probably doesn't want to see his drivers embarrassed by Fernando, if it came to a straight fight.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1429883)   #63
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who said JV was of no assistance helping Renault winning a championship?

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds at the last race. I take it that McLaren would win the title if they were to end up with a tie in the points (Mc having won more GPs).
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1429893)   #64
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes they would
Old 10 Oct 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1430046)   #65
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I would have put my house on McLaren for long periods of this season.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion Renault will nab this one all of a sudden.

Incidentally, I was reading today that Kimi had a slightly too short top gear yesterday. Combined with his hard charging race on a tough circuit for engines, it wouldn't surprise me entirely if his engine went pop at some point, although I guess it will probably let go on Friday or Saturday if it does! The Merc engines lead a charmed life in races it seems!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1430080)   #66
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
If I were a Mclaren engineer I could not refrain thinking after Suzuka that starting ten places back with a fresh engine is not so bad after all.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1430089)   #67
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, but it can go either way.

All it takes is a Sauber driver to start going mad for no apparent reason and one of your cars is in the boonies.

It is best to start up front.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1430144)   #68
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Yes, but it can go either way.

All it takes is a Sauber driver to start going mad for no apparent reason and one of your cars is in the boonies.

It is best to start up front.
I guess this confirms that you read what I wrote in your "driver of the race -Suzuka" thread. Actually, I take back what I wrote at post #85 of same.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1430459)   #69
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Who said JV was of no assistance helping Renault winning a championship?
Nice one Louis. Very good.
__

I think they might change Kimi's engine anyway - nice wide Tilke-ring circuit... he can surely get back ten places. Was Juan on a new engine? - it didn't do many miles in the race!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1430771)   #70
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM wasn't on a new engine, he had his Brazil one in Japan
Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1430899)   #71
Glen
Veteran

Cheers for that k-b. Oddly, they seem to let go when they're new anyway - perhaps Juan should stick with that one!

Serously, it would not suprise me to see them do a precautionary change (for either or both drivers) and hope they can race their way back from there.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:51 (Ref:1430953)   #72
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Was it JPM that had that engine change prior to Practice 1 in the other race (Brazil IIRC), and subsequently received no penalty?

Why not just do that again?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1430985)   #73
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Was it JPM that had that engine change prior to Practice 1 in the other race (Brazil IIRC), and subsequently received no penalty?

Why not just do that again?

That was at Spa, and the car hadn't actually run.

It had a new engine, which checks showed was suspect.

JPM will have a new engine at Shanghai anyway, and Kimi couldn't change his without penalty.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1430995)   #74
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I realise the car hadn't run, that is what made the change possible withouyt penalty. However, beyond that, it was no penalty because the engine that was beingreplaced was in itself new and thus there was no "wear" gain?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1430998)   #75
Kicking-back
Veteran

Exactly.

Car arrives with new engine.

Some checks show it may have a fault.

Out it comes and in goes another new one.