Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1486660)   #51
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW!
The Kimi to Ferrari rumor must have some validity. Why else would RD work this deal for Alonso?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1486662)   #52
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Potentially so he can partner Alonso with Raikkonen - so that if Kimi wins the 2006 title, McLaren can begin the Vodafone era with the only two World Champions on the grid in their team.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1486664)   #53
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso & Lewis Hamilton for 2007

mark my words
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1486669)   #54
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi in Ferrari was clear already, it will be JPMif he does well in 2006 beside Alonso for 2007.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1486674)   #55
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
WOW!
The Kimi to Ferrari rumor must have some validity. Why else would RD work this deal for Alonso?
Raikkonen and Alonso, considered to be 2 of the best in F1 with years left to give.
Ron (like any team manager who could afford to think about it) would love to have them both togther at the team, and as importantly not at other teams.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1486675)   #56
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi going to Ferrari would be an act of total stupidity - the Scuderia's glory days are gone for a long time to come
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1486677)   #57
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well then! Just when I thought I saw it all - this happens!

I would have never expected this so early, when I read there is a chance I thought the papers just needed to sell more copies.

I stand corrected.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1486679)   #58
312T4
Racer

Italy
KB, I agree with you. The point is that the deal KR signed with Ferrari for 2007 was signed last year...
Ron Dennis has done everything possible to catch Fernando because he already knows he will loose Kimi.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1486680)   #59
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wow! This news has really cranked up the rumour mill. And the mind games start even earlier. Is Renault off to LeMans with Michelin, again?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1486682)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Kimi going to Ferrari would be an act of total stupidity - the Scuderia's glory days are gone for a long time to come
But are they? We don't know that yet, although it is more likely now than it has ever been.

It's no more strange than moving from Renault to McLaren.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1486684)   #61
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312T4
KB, I agree with you. The point is that the deal KR signed with Ferrari for 2007 was signed last year...
Ron Dennis has done everything possible to catch Fernando because he already knows he will loose Kimi.
I know it's been said for a while now, Kimi to Ferrari 2007, but has anyone heard any more about it to give it more substance. I'm not saying it wont happen, but I'd like to hear more info.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1486687)   #62
312T4
Racer

Italy
I cannot take any proof Draven, but if you look back it was April when I have reported Kimi to Ferrari.
I wouldn't tell if I wasn't sure and will update if something change between Ferrari and Kimi, but I can assure a 1st signature was put black on white by Kimi already in 2004.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1486692)   #63
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
We'll I will take your word for it, but as a Mclaren and Kimi fan , I'm very sad that the opertunity to have a Prost/Senna style driver paring at Mclaren again will be missed. Altough id Jenson Button has shown anything it that contracts are not always final.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1486693)   #64
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts on this sudden announcement is that we will see Micheal finally call it a career.

McLaren will have JPM and Alonso while Ferrari will have Kimi and Massa. Renault? Two open seats? Albers? Kovalainen? Interesting.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1486694)   #65
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yer, could be Kimi-gate coming up.

Like Button-gate, only with incomprehensible mumbling and psycho-babble.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1486695)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Albers at Renault will never happen!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1486697)   #67
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Massa to go from Micheal to Kimi as a team mate. Frying pan to Fire, Ouch.

If it is Alonso and JPM at Mclaren, Juan will have had his chance to prove himself against 2 of the best in the business as team mates.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1486699)   #68
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
newey has left, so will mclaren be in a decline? ie the way williams have been since 97? food for thought...may be a bad move.. kimi might just be off to ferrari now newey has gone and mercedes has a reputation for poor engines
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1486701)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

McLaren seemingly have a design commitee going on so they shouldn't be too affected by Newey leaving. Still, it's a blow all the same and a big test.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1486703)   #70
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is mind boggling. Ron Dennis paints a simple enough picture in his statements but surely there must have been a lot going on behind the scenes. If not then, certainly now. There willl be some interesting negotiations leading up to '07. The media speculation will be rampant with dozens of new and old rumours surfacing and resurfacing over the next year or so. I may as well speculate now: Renault is seriously contemplating departing from F1 and in the event they do not repeat last year's achievments, they're as good as gone. At least that is how Flavio sees it.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1486704)   #71
312T4
Racer

Italy
If it is Alonso and JPM at Mclaren, Juan will have had his chance to prove himself against 2 of the best in the business as team mates.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1486707)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Alonso and JPM have fairly similar styles. Could be interesting.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1486709)   #73
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktoast
Is Renault off to LeMans with Michelin, again?
That has crossed my mind aswell, it worth remembering that Peugoet will back at Le Mans in 2007.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1486718)   #74
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Renault pull out of F1 before the end of 2007? Doesn't the CA mean they stay in till the end of 07?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1486719)   #75
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
This is mind boggling. Ron Dennis paints a simple enough picture in his statements but surely there must have been a lot going on behind the scenes. If not then, certainly now. There willl be some interesting negotiations leading up to '07. The media speculation will be rampant with dozens of new and old rumours surfacing and resurfacing over the next year or so. I may as well speculate now: Renault is seriously contemplating departing from F1 and in the event they do not repeat last year's achievments, they're as good as gone. At least that is how Flavio sees it.
I think there is doubt over Renault's long term commitment to F1, since the original plan was rubber stamped, the CEO of Renault has changed.

The new CEO is not thought to be an F1 fan and has a reputation as a fearsome cost cutter. In some of the reports I have read he has insisted that he needs to see a direct link between their F1 program and increased car sales. I don't think that brand image and reputation values alone will substitute.

In many ways the fact that Renault has sealed the double could hasten their exit. A pragmatic CEO could take the view that the only way is down, therefore the sensible plan is to make as much marketing capital from the success now and then exit. In any event it's getting much tighter at the front of F1 now and it's unlikely that any one team will dominate for several years on the trot like Ferrari did.

Should Renault depart, it will of course further weaken the GPMA and add power to the argument that manufacturers 'real' commitment to F1 extends until the date of their next board meeting....

Of course Renault may well stay in F1 for the long term, however you have to question why they didn't look to extend Alonso's contract on the back of the 2005 championship success.

There is another matter to consider, Briatore is FA's manager and team boss of Renault, one would assume that he would know very well what Renault's long term plans are, so it would be strange for him to move their star driver to McLaren if they were continuing, equally why would Renault let him go, only perhaps if they 'knew' it was likely they wouldn't have a car to put him in after 2007?