Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Mar 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1875185)   #51
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, went to Race Retro, Found Demon Tweeks and along with my team mate, we tried on a few helmets...

B****r #1 - The 2 cms do make a difference, since he takes a medium and I take a large.
B****r #2 - The OMP helmet we were looking at is cheap for a very good reason. I'm not wearing that even if I can afford it!
B****r #3 - Can't afford one which Does fit and offers more protection.

Thus endeth the Sprint saga. No way can I justify the £300 price tag for what could be a one off.

So thanks to all of you who have responded to this thread for your helpfull advice, Much appreciated and hopefully it will help someone else too.

**shuffles off and looks into Autotesting as a low cost alternative to sprints**
Old 25 Mar 2007, 06:14 (Ref:1875494)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it is a one off you can sell the damn thing. Why give up at the first hurdle? Most of us started out with bank loans or other forms of finance.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1875711)   #53
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Ha! I'm already on my 3rd Student loan as it is (not to mention approx £20,000 in debt)! I'm looking at getting a job soon though, so maybe once that starts and the finaces are a bit more secure then it'll happen.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1877676)   #54
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I was at Loton Park this weekend and was told by a scrute that helmets are going to have numbered stickers so they can be cross referenced with the owner/user.

Does this now mean that helmet sharing will soon be a thing of the past?

Not before time imo.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1877849)   #55
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was at Loton Park this weekend and was told by a scrute that helmets are going to have numbered stickers so they can be cross referenced with the owner/user.
Havent heard of this one yet, is that specific to Loton or something to be rolled out over the country, not sure what number you could put on it that would trace it to a user though.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1878216)   #56
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutineer
Havent heard of this one yet, is that specific to Loton or something to be rolled out over the country, not sure what number you could put on it that would trace it to a user though.

Apparently it's going to be across the board.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 08:21 (Ref:1878246)   #57
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Would licence number be enough? Am I right in assuming that stays consistent year on year (mine has but I don't know whether changing licence types means a change of number eg. race to rally)
Old 28 Mar 2007, 08:23 (Ref:1878248)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope.

I've had the same number from Nat A to Int C for the last four years or more.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 08:40 (Ref:1878259)   #59
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude

Does this now mean that helmet sharing will soon be a thing of the past?

Not before time imo.
What's the problem ith shariung a helmet......apart from the smell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
....and before yet another rumour gets out of hand maybe you could tell us where the MSA have written this rather than "big boys told me to say it"

Last edited by Tim Falce; 28 Mar 2007 at 08:49.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 08:47 (Ref:1878262)   #60
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
....and before yet another rumour gets out of hand maybe you could tell us where the MSA have written this rather than "big boys told me to do it"

Got to admit it i don't know where if at all it's written down.
All i can say is that a scrute told me. Whether it's true i really don't know?

If it's not true then great. If it is it'll be interesting to see how it all works.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1878428)   #61
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am hoping to abandon my motorcycle helmet (which has done me proud to be fair), and am looking to buy a proper motorsport full-face helmet in the near future.

Am looking mainly at Bell products, as Arai are a bit too expensive (I value my head that much, but can't stretch my budget that much), and somehow Sparco/OMP helmets don't have the same effect on my brain, but that might be brand snobbery. If someone had to choose a helmet for between £250 - £350 for use mainly in single seaters, what would you choose. Don't need HANS posts yet, but would want a pre-drilled helmet for future-proofing.

I'm quite taken with the Bell RS3 Sport, but know nothing about it (or indeed any helmet model other than the one I have already)

Your thoughts please...
Old 28 Mar 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1878461)   #62
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Think this may be hear say, cant see how it can work. Whats the point in putting your licence number on the side, dont you hand that in before you go to scrutineering? So we would have nothing to check it against.
I dont have a problem with people sharing helmets as long as it fits them, the smell is up to you
Old 29 Mar 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1879123)   #63
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many of us here on the left side of the pond, put a small sticker on the back of the helmet with our name, blood type, alergies, next of kin and phone number. Hopefully that it will never be used.

On the drives window side of my helmet I also have several small stickers or diffent car clubs that I participate with as they scrutineers or tech ppl have inspected and passed my helmet.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1879727)   #64
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Biff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an RS3 sport. Its a good helmet, no problems with it. If you buy from Tweeks, I'm sure they said they will retro fit hans posts at no charge. You just have to pay for the posts.

It might be worth checking though in case I'm up the wrong tree again.

Like I said earlier in the thread Bell are excellent helmets and I prefer them to Arai anyway.

The other thing is you can still get them in the old sizes 71/4 etc, rather than only small, medium, large. This means you can get a much better fit.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1881914)   #65
Char1ie
Rookie

Char1ie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of helmets, I need to buy one and have never owned one before so I'll need to find a supplier where I can try on a few. Does anybody know a supplier in south east London - or anywhere in London? I'm looking at open faced Bell or similar models.

This has been a useful thread BTW.

Charlie
Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1881930)   #66
inamo
Rookie

inamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think GPR have a branch in London somewhere - if you have a look at their website it'll have the address on there.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1881949)   #67
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
GPR have a shop at Chiswick just off the roundabout on the North Circ, Chiswick High Rd and M4 Junc.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1881956)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I thought they closed that and moved to Silverstone.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1881962)   #69
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Addresses here
Old 2 Apr 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1881966)   #70
Char1ie
Rookie

Char1ie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got it. I'll head over there on Saturday. Called GRP and they are still in Chiswick so not too far away. I'm looking at the Bell Mag 6 or similar for Classic Touring Car this season.

Thanks for the info.

Charlie
Old 3 Apr 2007, 13:16 (Ref:1882693)   #71
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to this thread, I've committed myself to a Bell RS3 Sport Helmet. However, Bell are (apparently) being very slow to supply stock this year, and it won't be with me until the middle to end of May!!!!!!!

Come on Bell, pull your fingers out!
Old 12 Apr 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1889574)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Thanks to this thread, I've committed myself to a Bell RS3 Sport Helmet. However, Bell are (apparently) being very slow to supply stock this year, and it won't be with me until the middle to end of May!!!!!!!

Bell are always slow to supply stock every year.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1889701)   #73
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe

Why dont you buy it from an american vender and have them air ship it to you?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1890161)   #74
Jamie G
Racer

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamie G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char1ie
On the subject of helmets, I need to buy one and have never owned one before so I'll need to find a supplier where I can try on a few. Does anybody know a supplier in south east London - or anywhere in London? I'm looking at open faced Bell or similar models.

This has been a useful thread BTW.

Charlie
Charlie,
I went to GPR in Chiswick and found being able to try on helmets invaluable. I ended up buying an Arai GP Jet F which, despite being a little over my original budget, fits beautifully and is very light. It is very well made, and (I think) knocks the Bell and Simpson open faces into a cocked hat (pardon the pun).

According to GPR Bell are late shipping this year and the items that appear in GPR (and DT) winter catalogues aren't necessarily on the market at all when they go to press. I also found this was the case with the new OMP helmet. A little misleading, but it might save you being on back order for months on end.

All in all, I thoroughly recommend an Arai.

Hope this helps

Jamie
Old 10 Oct 2007, 10:02 (Ref:2036692)   #75
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
*steps down in to the thread crypt, blows dust off thread, does count dracula impression. eh eh eh eh.*

Sorry.

Anyway. I noticed one of the ads up there at the top, and me being the curious kind gave it a click. Bit of poking later revealed this...
Click here

Now if I've got that right, This helmet costs about £170, which seems very cheap. Question 1) does anyone know anything about it, Question 2) does it meet UK standards (particularly for sprinting) and Question 3) has anyone bought anything from this company before, and do they ship here (it doesn't say on their website).

Muchos gratias amigos.