Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2945891)   #726
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They're all quite bland except for some heated battles in their respective series'. Different names and paints is all the top classes seem to be. I like the Aston and Mazda, but what else? I like the Scott Pruett/Fogherty battles but what else? It's kinda stale. In Nascar you expect such, but not sports car racing.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2946016)   #727
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Not a big fan of spec classes either... but then which spec category in North America do you like the most? The IRL brand spec, the looks a bit different, all the same underneath spec of Grand Am, the NASCAR spec, or the ALMS Lola P1 category spec, the LMP-C spec, or the GT-C spec?
Personal favorite would be Star Mazda!

but specification (new word i think i just made up) does seem to be the rage these days to control costs. Nascar has their own version with COT's with different engines, next DTM will be a similar concept as well. It seems the only other option to spec or part spec racing these days is watchful BOP - which makes me cringe a little too. Who knows, maybe the 2014 LMP regs with some type of energy limit will spur innovation and good racing and everyone wins. Or maybe it won't happen, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2946028)   #728
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Super GT is also thinking about a common "mother chassis" for their GT300-class, and of course if they unify their rules with DTM also for GT500.

The 'problem', if it is one, as I see it, is that being an 'honorable backmarker' is no longer an option, neither for gentleman drivers nor for manufacturers.

In years past, many manufacturer programs were more or less just token gestures to their respective fanbase, which were in turn more or less okay with occassional podiums and didn't expect much more of their brand than that. Sometimes they were perfectly contend with having the meanest looking cars out there.
Nowadays you either dominate, or the execs pull the plug...

Of course in any given class, only so many teams or manufacturers can actually be successful - especially on a 9 or 10 race schedule.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2946039)   #729
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There would need to be massive changes in GA prototypes to keep me interested (note I didn't use the term DP). When they first came out, I took them for what they were, enjoyed the show they put on, but it has surely warn out its welcome with me.

GA GT racing and the cars are OK for what they are, and I am normally very easy to please, but there needs some improvements on them as well, for me to stay interested. That class should be the KONI challenge cars and work up from there. I guess there are some improvements on the way; I just haven't been able to pay attention of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It actually reminds me of the latest episode of Top Gear (USA) where they had a Pontiac Fierro that was outfitted with Ferrari 308 inspired bodywork. Sure the car looked better than the Pontiac, but it was no Ferrari. And just like we were told as children "it is what's on the inside that counts"
Kinda like the Cougatti?
http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/07/21...ugatti-veyron/
Old 26 Aug 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2946057)   #730
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Personal favorite would be Star Mazda!

but specification (new word i think i just made up) does seem to be the rage these days to control costs. Nascar has their own version with COT's with different engines, next DTM will be a similar concept as well. It seems the only other option to spec or part spec racing these days is watchful BOP - which makes me cringe a little too. Who knows, maybe the 2014 LMP regs with some type of energy limit will spur innovation and good racing and everyone wins. Or maybe it won't happen, we'll have to wait and see.
Grand-Am made their own specifications; the IMSA sucked-up to the ACO's specifications.
Grand-Am was lackluster from the start, so it could not really drop much; whereas the IMSA, especially from 2003 on was on a steady down-ward spiral; briefly interrupted by short span where the IMSA said screw the ACO rules and the Penske Porsche livened things up a little.

I am hoping that the France family, people watched what happened to the IMSA and do not simply mimic it with their own new cluster-f.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2946526)   #731
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
There would need to be massive changes in GA prototypes to keep me interested (note I didn't use the term DP). When they first came out, I took them for what they were, enjoyed the show they put on, but it has surely warn out its welcome with me.

GA GT racing and the cars are OK for what they are, and I am normally very easy to please, but there needs some improvements on them as well, for me to stay interested. That class should be the KONI challenge cars and work up from there. I guess there are some improvements on the way; I just haven't been able to pay attention of late.

Kinda like the Cougatti?
http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/07/21...ugatti-veyron/
Are you talking about the Pirelli tire GT challenge cars whose races are shown on VS. Network? The Vipers Vettes Porsches Volvos CTS-Vs, with an occasional Nissan GTR? I always felt that racing was quietly some of the best Road Racing there is!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2946530)   #732
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Are you talking about the Pirelli tire GT challenge cars whose races are shown on VS. Network? The Vipers Vettes Porsches Volvos CTS-Vs, with an occasional Nissan GTR? I always felt that racing was quietly some of the best Road Racing there is!
Good to see somebody else noticed, it and the Continental Sports Car Challenge in my opinion provides the best road racing in North America right now.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2946583)   #733
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Good to see somebody else noticed, it and the Continental Sports Car Challenge in my opinion provides the best road racing in North America right now.
Yupp. As far as INTERESTING cars that make for great racing.

1. ALMS GT
2. Pirelli World Challenge GT
3. Both GS and ST in the Conti Tires Series.
4. Pirelli World Challenge Touring Car
5. Grand-Am GT
6. Pirelli World Challenge GTS

Chris
Old 26 Aug 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2946593)   #734
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you talking about the Pirelli tire GT challenge cars whose races are shown on VS. Network?
Just for those that don’t know they are live streaming rounds 9&10 online Saturday and Sunday. Three porkies at the front in practice 1 yesterday, qualifying tomorrow morning.

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...php?story=2216

http://www.world-challengetv.com/
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2946618)   #735
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
TBH, haven't watched any of the GA support series in some time , but sounds as if I am missing some action; will have to look in to, um, er, the last event on the calender.

I was referring to the GT cars that share the track with the DPs just need a little extra something to be more attractive to me. Not much...
Old 26 Aug 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2946625)   #736
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
TBH, haven't watched any of the GA support series in some time , but sounds as if I am missing some action; will have to look in to, um, er, the last event on the calender.

I was referring to the GT cars that share the track with the DPs just need a little extra something to be more attractive to me. Not much...
Entry List for next and final round:
http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/ent...ies=k&eid=2380

Car List:

Camaro GS.R
Nissan 370Z
Porsche Cayman
BMW M3 Coupe
Boss 302R
Mustang GT
Porsche 997
Audi S4
KIA Forte Koup
BMW 128i
Mazda RX8
Mazda MX5
Mazda 3
Porsche Boxter
BMW 328i
Honda Civic
Volkswagen GTI
Mini Cooper S

Also, in the 76 Compass360 Honda Civic, there happens to be some Frenchman named Simon Pagenaud.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2946674)   #737
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Also, in the 76 Compass360 Honda Civic, there happens to be some Frenchman named Simon Pagenaud.
Never heard of him.

It is interesting how he has maintained his ties with both Honda and Peugeot. I guess they both recognize how good he is, but don't want to restrict him from driving more and getting better.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2946899)   #738
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honda seems to want Pags in an IndyCar with an 'H' on the front of it next year.

Pug seems to want to win some race called Lemons or something with him.

Yeah, seems to be a good time for Simon.

Chris
Old 27 Aug 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2946940)   #739
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Been thinking about this for a bit - with Cheever commenting about a big and succesfull team running Coyotes next year and the Coyotes being built by P&M - could anybody see the Corvette factory team running the 24hours with 1 or 2 Corvette-Coyotes?
Old 27 Aug 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2946941)   #740
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Been thinking about this for a bit - with Cheever commenting about a big and succesfull team running Coyotes next year and the Coyotes being built by P&M - could anybody see the Corvette factory team running the 24hours with 1 or 2 Corvette-Coyotes?
Cheever told me it was an existing DP team. Looks like it's Action Express.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2946943)   #741
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
Cheever told me it was an existing DP team. Looks like it's Action Express.
Interesting, Brumos always said they wanted to get back to Fabcar.

I think you said 6 Corvette-bodied DPs, right?

That would then be:

SunTrust (Dallara)
Gainsco (Riley)
Spirit of Daytona (Coyote)
Action Express (Coyote) x2
CytoSport (Riley)
Old 27 Aug 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2947000)   #742
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Are the Riley chassised cars going to be exclusively Corvette-branded? Wouldn't the Cytosport car more likely be Porsche-powered?

Chris
Old 28 Aug 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2947011)   #743
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting, Brumos always said they wanted to get back to Fabcar.

I think you said 6 Corvette-bodied DPs, right?

That would then be:

SunTrust (Dallara)
Gainsco (Riley)
Spirit of Daytona (Coyote)
Action Express (Coyote) x2
CytoSport (Riley)
5 of the six are correct... I think we could see another major team make the transition to Chevy power next year.

Riley will have a generic set of bodywork as well.. The Dallara and Coyote packages will be exclusive to the Corvette bodywork.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2947258)   #744
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
5 of the six are correct... I think we could see another major team make the transition to Chevy power next year.

Riley will have a generic set of bodywork as well.. The Dallara and Coyote packages will be exclusive to the Corvette bodywork.
So Cytosport has a chance at being Porsche powered, what with their relationship with PMNA and all.

Chris
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2948808)   #745
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:

Doran pretty much has to switch to Corvette if he wants to keep up his partnership with Dallara then.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2948816)   #746
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Doran pretty much has to switch to Corvette if he wants to keep up his partnership with Dallara then.
No. He can still keep using the old car. As far as I know, there is no mandatory switch to the DPG3's.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2949537)   #747
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How disappointing:

Here is the new DPG3
Old 1 Sep 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2949539)   #748
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an improvement, at least.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2949546)   #749
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
How disappointing:

Here is the new DPG3
Im loving the nose and the smaller greenhouse! I hate to admit it but I actually really like it.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2949570)   #750
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm torn, kinda like the front but looks like they got bored and forgot to finish the back. Couldn't really tell, that the generic Riley or the new Vette inspired look?