Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jul 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3432346)   #726
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I'm not looking forward to the splitting of the classes, and I'm kinda surprised so many people seem to be, since so many people insist that the multi-class aspect is one of the great things about sportscar racing.
I'm with you. I think I'm in the minority in that I also don't want any split races. I'd prefer they just increase the driver standards (in both classes). There's a few people that just really shouldn't be out there. Not because they're slow, but they just don't pay attention and are generally a menace to anyone around them.

-mike
Old 10 Jul 2014, 02:11 (Ref:3432360)   #727
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I'm with you. I think I'm in the minority in that I also don't want any split races. I'd prefer they just increase the driver standards (in both classes). There's a few people that just really shouldn't be out there. Not because they're slow, but they just don't pay attention and are generally a menace to anyone around them.

-mike
A couple of the faster guys are in that list, also imo.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3432399)   #728
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I'm not looking forward to the splitting of the classes, and I'm kinda surprised so many people seem to be, since so many people insist that the multi-class aspect is one of the great things about sportscar racing.
Completely agree with you there; one of the reasons I've been finding PWC interesting is that it has the true multi-class system that the top European GT series are lacking. British GT has a good GT4 class this year and, as a spectator, I couldn't be happier about that. Also, the first BES season had several GT4 cars and was the best GT racing I'd seen for years.

Both Blancpain and GT Masters are great series, but that's the one thing they lack, in my opinion.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3432447)   #729
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Completely agree with you there; one of the reasons I've been finding PWC interesting is that it has the true multi-class system that the top European GT series are lacking. British GT has a good GT4 class this year and, as a spectator, I couldn't be happier about that. Also, the first BES season had several GT4 cars and was the best GT racing I'd seen for years.

Both Blancpain and GT Masters are great series, but that's the one thing they lack, in my opinion.
The wealth of diversity for the GT cars eliminates that need though. I for one don't think multiple GT classes are needed at all at a race for that reason. Sometimes I like I prefered it when GTLM in TUSC ran without GTD in fact.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3432468)   #730
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Much as I'd like to see PWC run longer events, I think it might be too big a step too soon for a series which has only achieved a measure of popularity in the last couple seasons, and which could easily be pushed back into the shadows if TUSC gets itself together.

On the other hand, if enough of the wealthy teams wanted to do one big race, that could be a boost promotionally. I wonder if the series officials are thinking about capitalizing on the hole left by the demise of ALMS and hoping to move mainstream as a headlining series n time?
Old 10 Jul 2014, 15:36 (Ref:3432514)   #731
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to see them to do long races but would like to see two sprint races in a weekend Sat(2hrs event) and Sun(1hr event).
Old 10 Jul 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3432522)   #732
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Problem is pit stops. Even with a two-hour race you are into a crew, tire-changing gear, fuel rigs, safety personnel ...

I like your idea but once you go beyond one tank of fuel you really raise the cost.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3432592)   #733
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be cool to see a GT3 endurance race here in America, (Elkhart Lake please. ) But I'm happy with the current sprint format that the PWC uses.
Two GT/GTS plus two TC/TCA/TCB events, totaled nearly four hours of on track action, plus several practice/Qualifying sessions.
Separating the GT and GTS races would add an additional hour and forty minutes, however personally I prefer the current multi class format.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3432594)   #734
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Problem is pit stops. Even with a two-hour race you are into a crew, tire-changing gear, fuel rigs, safety personnel ...

I like your idea but once you go beyond one tank of fuel you really raise the cost.
Well, I guess they could use a ridiculously long mandatory stop to ensure that all the pitwork can be done without having to rush it or a big need for manpower.

That's what was done in the original GT3 series and is still done in ADAC GT-Masters, only that there is no pitwork to be done and it's a 60 second stop for the driver change. The idea is very similar, though.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3432610)   #735
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
It would be cool to see a GT3 endurance race here in America, (Elkhart Lake please. ) But I'm happy with the current sprint format that the PWC uses.
Two GT/GTS plus two TC/TCA/TCB events, totaled nearly four hours of on track action, plus several practice/Qualifying sessions.
Separating the GT and GTS races would add an additional hour and forty minutes, however personally I prefer the current multi class format.
I agree the two 50 minute races works just fine. Hopefully it will be GT3's only next year. I don't favor PWC going endurance and abandoning what works for them because I think is a matter of "when" not "if" TUSC adopts full GT3 for the GTD category. If IMSA does not do it in 2015 it will be no later than 2016. Then PWC will need this sprint format to help keep their customers/teams.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 02:59 (Ref:3432657)   #736
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think even if TUSC did go full GT3 there would still be a market for WC enduros as the prospect of overall victory is a tempting one (not to mention actually getting some attention from TV cameras).

If they are serious about adding one though I think the Road America round would be a good time to try it. Presuming they will once again support the Nationwide series they would be able to run a sprint race prior to the Nationwide race and have Sunday all to themselves for the enduro, this would also be a good time to see if they can draw a headlining crowd.

That being said, I really hope the series doesn't move too fast, the fan base may be growing, but there is no guarantee that it will continue doing so, especially if they change the product too much from its current state.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 03:55 (Ref:3432668)   #737
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
TUSC won't go GT3, simply they won't (too many priorities, contracts, teams, etc.)

I raised the question to RA about the Optima Shootout being on Sunday of the NA/PWC weekend. Optima actually pays quite a bit to have the track (without much support), so PWC would need to make a big draw. I think a 12 hour GT3 race with 50 cars would suffice....
Old 12 Jul 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3433173)   #738
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I doubt you could find 50 GT3 capable teams that would do an enduro outside of a season long championship. Mike has already pointed out how insanely expensive adding pit stop equipment to PWC race teams, sounded to me like he felt it was beyond impractical and definitely outside the reach of most of the teams.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3433301)   #739
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I don't get why people want to add on LMPs or turn the series into an endurance series. The series is awesome as it is and can only get stronger from here in its current format.

It needs a few tweaks here and there but beyond that let's not spoil a good thing.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3433397)   #740
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't think this has been mentioned...

Nick Tandy is to drive for Effort Racing at Toronto.

http://nasportscar.com/tandy-in-at-e...g-for-toronto/
Old 13 Jul 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3433402)   #741
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nick Tandy! Great news!

A longer race should be non-points, I agree.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3433687)   #742
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Don't think this has been mentioned...

Nick Tandy is to drive for Effort Racing at Toronto.

http://nasportscar.com/tandy-in-at-e...g-for-toronto/
Will Tim Bergmeister be back in the car after Toronto?
Old 14 Jul 2014, 01:09 (Ref:3433703)   #743
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I don't get why people want to add on LMPs or turn the series into an endurance series. The series is awesome as it is and can only get stronger from here in its current format.

It needs a few tweaks here and there but beyond that let's not spoil a good thing.
I don't think anybody wants the series to add LMP's or endurance races anymore. What they do want is the series to sanction 1-2 key endurance races in North America.

12 Hours of Road America with a 40 car GT (or 80 car GT/GTS) field would be insane!
Old 14 Jul 2014, 07:49 (Ref:3433749)   #744
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt the GTS cars would be involved in an endurance race, especially if it was a longer one. I don't think many of the cars were built with running anywhere near that long in mind.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 12:24 (Ref:3433794)   #745
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was at Watkins Glen, one of the guys from SRT told me that they were delivering a new Viper at the Toronto PWC race.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3433842)   #746
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Will Tim Bergmeister be back in the car after Toronto?
That's TBD - depends on scheduling conflicts, etc
Old 14 Jul 2014, 15:23 (Ref:3433843)   #747
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
When I was at Watkins Glen, one of the guys from SRT told me that they were delivering a new Viper at the Toronto PWC race.
Yes - #92 to be raced in GT with the driver TBD (but all signs point to Wittmer)
Old 14 Jul 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3433884)   #748
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Great news, really hope for SRT that their GT3 programme can take off, glad to see them stick with it.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3433891)   #749
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Yes - #92 to be raced in GT with the driver TBD (but all signs point to Wittmer)
Racer's reporting today that it will in fact be Kuno Wittmer:
http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/105492...-double-header
Old 14 Jul 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3433971)   #750
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hell yeah! http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...bleheader.html