Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jun 2024, 10:06 (Ref:4211902)   #776
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I'd forgotten there was a previous one; good idea!
Not surprising I'd forgotten as it's in Trackside. Unfortunately my mod authority does not extend to that particular forum.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Jun 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4211916)   #777
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Someone has already trnsferred the posts to the Trackside thread.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 13:43 (Ref:4211921)   #778
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Someone has already trnsferred the posts to the Trackside thread.
I'm not seeing them in Trackside - only in Motorsport History?

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138643
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158829
Old 5 Jun 2024, 13:57 (Ref:4211923)   #779
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...=138643&page=8
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:05 (Ref:4211924)   #780
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
OK - I'm now confused. The posts are still not showing for me in that thread, and are only visible in this thread - https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158829
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:39 (Ref:4211932)   #781
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh well.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 17:00 (Ref:4211960)   #782
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I’m heading to the Red Bull Ring shortly . Going to drive a JAP 500. Not the Comet this time as the owner is racing . Arnott for me . Looking forward as not raced there before .
Old 5 Jun 2024, 17:09 (Ref:4211962)   #783
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I’m heading to the Red Bull Ring shortly . Going to drive a JAP 500. Not the Comet this time as the owner is racing . Arnott for me . Looking forward as not raced there before .
Enjoy! Quite a fast track, I would think, for the 500's. Watch-out for the thunderstorms at 5pm.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4211963)   #784
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Good luck Iain.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 18:22 (Ref:4211970)   #785
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have a great time!

Blast from the past for me today. Making gaskets! Time was when my dad never bought gaskets but had reels of gasket paper, I learned at an early age!

We're trying to make a fibre gasket for the Sprinter exhaust manifold because the steel one doesn't seal well. Can't get a fibre one for love nor money.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jun 2024, 06:36 (Ref:4212003)   #786
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Have a great time!

Blast from the past for me today. Making gaskets! Time was when my dad never bought gaskets but had reels of gasket paper, I learned at an early age!

We're trying to make a fibre gasket for the Sprinter exhaust manifold because the steel one doesn't seal well. Can't get a fibre one for love nor money.

Good luck with that Max! I must admit I've spent a few happy hours 'tapping out' paper gaskets. I till have a few assorted sizes of ball bearing in my toolbox to stamp out the round holes.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 15:20 (Ref:4212202)   #787
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Jeepers that was tough . 10 K road race Wednesday eve . Then headed to Euro tunnel to get Midnight train .Drove most of the night to get into Belgium . Long day Thursday and stopped just outside Austria . Now at Red Bull Ring getting wet . Why do I bother ?
Old 7 Jun 2024, 15:25 (Ref:4212204)   #788
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What did I tell you??
Old 7 Jun 2024, 15:44 (Ref:4212207)   #789
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Jeepers that was tough . 10 K road race Wednesday eve . Then headed to Euro tunnel to get Midnight train .Drove most of the night to get into Belgium . Long day Thursday and stopped just outside Austria . Now at Red Bull Ring getting wet . Why do I bother ?
Because you love it.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 16:32 (Ref:4212217)   #790
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Have fun !
Old 7 Jun 2024, 19:27 (Ref:4212243)   #791
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes John and yes Peter . Just walked track jeepers it’s steep
Old 7 Jun 2024, 19:47 (Ref:4212250)   #792
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes John and yes Peter . Just walked track jeepers it’s steep
Did you see any deer?

I was once lucky enough to watch the Austrian Grand Prix morning warm-up from the air when the company pilot took me up in Colin Chapman's helicopter.

It was my first-ever flight of any sort - I had never previously flown as I don't like heights & always assumed I would not like flying. However, I did not have time to say 'no' & actually I enjoyed it & it cured me of my fear. Now it is just the other passengers I don't like so haven't flown for a few years.
Old 8 Jun 2024, 12:31 (Ref:4212369)   #793
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

I was once lucky enough to watch the Austrian Grand Prix morning warm-up from the air when the company pilot took me up in Colin Chapman's helicopter.
Sue and I was at Donington and we were taken for a ride in Pete Halls helicopter to refuel it at the airport. We got held up and I was in the (soon to start) next race. I was already in my overalls and my team had my car and crash helmet on the grid so at the last minute we landed. To jump out of a helicopter and run to the grid and jump into my car I felt like a F1 star ! F*** knows what the others thought though
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jun 2024, 12:34 (Ref:4212370)   #794
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Sue and I was at Donington and we were taken for a ride in Pete Halls helicopter to refuel it at the airport. We got held up and I was in the (soon to start) next race. I was already in my overalls and my team had my car and crash helmet on the grid so at the last minute we landed. To jump out of a helicopter and run to the grid and jump into my car I felt like a F1 star ! F*** knows what the others thought though
Brilliant! Very James Bond.

Funnily enough my flight was also because we had to go out to a local airport to refuel.
Old 9 Jun 2024, 05:49 (Ref:4212484)   #795
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Great story Gordon . Cant beat that on a Sunday morning but the Red Bull Ring here is a great place . Austria is lovely when it’s not raining . Ended up P9 and P2 JAP engine car . Race was going well but fuel pipe broke so that was that . Must of dumped 10 liters of Methanol around the track . Oops . Still wet and overcast . Another race today 5 pm your time .
Old 9 Jun 2024, 10:00 (Ref:4212538)   #796
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did a Sprint at Llandow yesterday in the ZR. It was an absolute hoot. I had a great time, it was so good to be actually driving fast again, the first time I'd been on any sort of (car) track since about 2014.

Some interesting Historics there. MGs of course as it was an MG Speed Championship round, a Lotus 6 with XPAG engine and a Fiat 500 Abarth complete with engine cover propped open in the "proper" way. Actually, most of the cars would be considered "classic" now due to their age, very few up to the minute cars.

Very few up to the minute people too, although the new MSUK initiative for youth was on display. A handful of 14-17 year olds competed in up to 1400cc standard class cars. They had a few sighting laps with an instructor first, then competed in the normal way. MSUK has also waived clothing rules apart from helmet, the only regulation being that arms must be covered. Very good initiative IMO I'd have loved to drive my dad's Midget at 14. Let's hope it attracts new blood to the sport besides from karting.

Old 9 Jun 2024, 10:05 (Ref:4212542)   #797
midgetman
Veteran

Sorry these didn't attach to the previous post for some reason. I'm no Bauble when it comes to photos, these are just some phone snaps.

The Midget to the left of the first photo has the same engine as mine! 1.8 K Series on Jenvey throttle bodies that look just like twin 40s so it looks period under the bonnet. Goes like stink!

Old 9 Jun 2024, 10:47 (Ref:4212550)   #798
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I did a Sprint at Llandow yesterday in the ZR. It was an absolute hoot. I had a great time, it was so good to be actually driving fast again, the first time I'd been on any sort of (car) track since about 2014.

Some interesting Historics there. MGs of course as it was an MG Speed Championship round, a Lotus 6 with XPAG engine and a Fiat 500 Abarth complete with engine cover propped open in the "proper" way. Actually, most of the cars would be considered "classic" now due to their age, very few up to the minute cars.

Very few up to the minute people too, although the new MSUK initiative for youth was on display. A handful of 14-17 year olds competed in up to 1400cc standard class cars. They had a few sighting laps with an instructor first, then competed in the normal way. MSUK has also waived clothing rules apart from helmet, the only regulation being that arms must be covered. Very good initiative IMO I'd have loved to drive my dad's Midget at 14. Let's hope it attracts new blood to the sport besides from karting.

I remember back in the 70s? , a saloon car race at Snetterton, [ possibly the Willhire ], seeing several Abarths running with the Bonnets ,[ Boot Lids ] proped up in the air .So , as you say , that is what they did for a bit better cooling . Cant believe it actually improved aerodynamics , although that was possible .
Old 9 Jun 2024, 11:06 (Ref:4212554)   #799
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I remember back in the 70s? , a saloon car race at Snetterton, [ possibly the Willhire ], seeing several Abarths running with the Bonnets ,[ Boot Lids ] proped up in the air .So , as you say , that is what they did for a bit better cooling . Cant believe it actually improved aerodynamics , although that was possible .
Just checked and the Willhire races were in the 80s . So still a long time ago and not sure which they were . But remember several Abarths running .
Old 9 Jun 2024, 11:20 (Ref:4212559)   #800
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Probably BSCC to Group 2 regs.