Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jul 2015, 03:11 (Ref:3555312)   #776
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Now you have a 'badged' Vette leading or Riley Ford. So how is it a step backwards if some DTM/GT500 team or car like an RC F NSX or M4 lead over gte? It already happens in Super GT and its no big deal.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 04:46 (Ref:3555319)   #777
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather see a IMSA specific P1-L built and run vs DTM, really don't get the fascination there.

Use a single spec tub that one chassis builder can make, spec gearbox, spec suspension components, have different suppliers make each to keep costs down and allow the OEMs to supply the engines and bodywork. Branding the big LMP1s is entirely possible (Aston Lola) so there's no reason why it cannot be done.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 05:03 (Ref:3555323)   #778
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They wont go for that, or it would be talked of. They are adamant on "brand recognition", so why go even further towards pure lmp? Thats what people (including me) would like is lmp1 privateers, but thats seemingly not tusc's objective. If they want brand i.d. then going gt500 is the best course imo.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 05:04 (Ref:3555325)   #779
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you skipped over my last line?
Old 2 Jul 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3555326)   #780
TF110
Veteran

United States
The aco wont go for that. Everyone knows it. Obviously they want that Le Mans connection, and if thats the case, p1 is even more of an ask than lmp2s with 'bodywork'.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 05:45 (Ref:3555330)   #781
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2016:
P) DP and P-2
PC) FLM09
GTLM
GTD) GT3

2017:
P) based on shared 2017 P-2 platform with the ACO
PC) chassis under evaluation/consideration
GTLM
GTD

L.P.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3555344)   #782
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Because none of the American manufacturers would spend the money to build them.
And they will spend nearly as much (same Rebellion, but called Oreca) to have something that's slower, that was created to cater to pro-am teams rather than manufacturers and fans, and something that will be made utterly uncompetitive at Le Mans? ...unless they race them in the U.S. in Le Mans spec, which they won't.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3555371)   #783
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
And they will spend nearly as much (same Rebellion, but called Oreca) to have something that's slower, that was created to cater to pro-am teams rather than manufacturers and fans, and something that will be made utterly uncompetitive at Le Mans? ...unless they race them in the U.S. in Le Mans spec, which they won't.
I don't know where you get your numbers, but LMP1-L is MUCH, MUCH more expensive than building a P2 car. It's not even close.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 13:07 (Ref:3555373)   #784
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Can we Please just get rid of the P-1 Cars ? TOO Freaking Technical
They already did. Though 'too technical' had nothing to do with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I don't know where you get your numbers, but LMP1-L is MUCH, MUCH more expensive than building a P2 car. It's not even close.
And you know the budget figures of Rebellion and Kolles how...? Particularly with these new regulations + calculated the difference between running the cars in world championship and regional series...
Old 2 Jul 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3555377)   #785
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

2017:
P) based on shared 2017 P-2 platform with the ACO
PC) chassis under evaluation/consideration
GTLM
GTD
What are the odds IMSA will change the names of the GT classes to what they are called in the rest of the world? I don't really have an issue with the current names but it would be less messy to talk about them as GTE and GT3 if that is what they are.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3555382)   #786
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"GTLM and GTD" is confusing, given that the first doesn't match to ACO and next year there is nothing 'Daytona' in the lower class anymore. But generally the two are no more confusing than "LMGTE and GT3". The endurance bit of GTE in this day and age is irrelevant given that all the other GT classes are pulling out similar distances in races, and similarly GT3 makes no sense when GT1 is dead and GT2 has been rebranded as GT3. Furthermore next year you will have the "GT Premium / GTP" nonsense added in to GTE further adding to confusion

I really don't understand why FIA doesn't just rebrand them all GT1 and GT2 (+ GT3 for GT4) already. I am aware that Ratel wants to "safe" the title of GT1 *just in case it's someday needed* but surely that cannot be the only reason.

Not that it really made sense for ACO to rebrand 1998-GT2 into 'GTS' and 1998-GT3 into 'GT' after 1998-GT1 died, only for FIA to call the GTS cars "GT" and GT cars "N-GT". Well at least the naming scheme was universally harmonized for ACO, FIA and SRO in 2005 again... only for it to collapse again by the start of the new decade

IMSA calling GT2/GTE/whatever just by "GT" by 2010-2013 wasn't that great either, and they had to rename the class as GT2 again in Sebring & PLM 2010 because of ACO interest. Then of course you had the naming scheme conflicts with "GT" class when ILMC/WEC came over with LMGTE-PRO and LMGTE-AM..

This sounds so nerdy...
Old 2 Jul 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3555388)   #787
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Who cares about the names and the classes, just give us lots of fast, cool and noisy cars and we'll have a blast!
Old 2 Jul 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3555389)   #788
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking just from a Fans Perspective Yes the P-1 cars are are the Quickest but really only doable by the MFG's If you want competition most fans really want more than 6-8 cars to fight for the overall win

personally I would like to see GTE , GTLM , What ever you want to call the cars and the P-2's fighting for overall wins , Particularly at LeMans
Old 2 Jul 2015, 14:47 (Ref:3555390)   #789
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
... just give us lots of fast, cool and noisy cars and we'll have a blast!
Sorry, those are not available anymore.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 15:27 (Ref:3555402)   #790
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
If you want competition most fans really want more than 6-8 cars to fight for the overall win
Are you suggesting that there are more cars than that capable of realistically winning in USCC (D)P, USCC GTE, WEC LMP2, WEC LMGTE?

That's weird analogy anyway, class isn't proper if there aren't million makes to fight for it... remember Le Mans in the 80's with twenty thousand Porsches entered and conquering almost all of top 10

My main criteria for headliner class is
a) technologically interesting and powerful (not GTE and (2017 of all things) P2))
b) not influenced by constant politics shenanigans
Old 2 Jul 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3555407)   #791
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just one question:

why in 2012 and 2013 grand-am there were always more than 10 DP in grid during "normal" races ?

I guess because original DP3 specs were a lot cheaper than current DP3.5! so...
Old 2 Jul 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3555409)   #792
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Can we Please just get rid of the P-1 Cars ? TOO Freaking Technical

Let the MFG's put the $$$'s into the GT classes
P1 is what is drawing more interest to the WEC and Le Mans. The most advanced cars in the world are what is making sports car racing become more noticed by the press and by Joe-average-guy.

I guess different opinions, if Ford had a vote of whether or not they should develop and race a GT car or a P1 my vote would be for P1 every time, whether it could race in the states or not.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3555413)   #793
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
just one question:

why in 2012 and 2013 grand-am there were always more than 10 DP in grid during "normal" races ?

I guess because original DP3 specs were a lot cheaper than current DP3.5! so...
Yes, that and the fact that the series paid teams to build cars and show up to race them.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3555422)   #794
Deleted
Veteran

Almost a decade ago there were like 30 DPs in some Grand-Am races, even regular ones, because they were cheap as **** (yet some still needed subsidies ) and bopped to extreme. So contrast to that even DPG3 prior DPG3.5 was sort of a failure. Yes they received *very mild* cosmetic surgery but continued the decline in numbers - even though they were still cheap and constantly performance balanced
Old 2 Jul 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3555437)   #795
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Almost a decade ago there were like 30 DPs in some Grand-Am races, even regular ones, because they were cheap as ****
One can argue that "as" is redundant here.
Old 2 Jul 2015, 19:11 (Ref:3555440)   #796
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
One can argue that "as" is redundant here.

You're right of course.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 03:40 (Ref:3555527)   #797
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://nasportscar.com/the-pc-dilemma/

Basically it said,"why not replace PC with DPs!"

Well I don't know about that, slowing them down would probably lower back the price of the cars. And being tubeframers can be fix more easily.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 03:53 (Ref:3555530)   #798
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Got my first in person taste of DP machinery this past weekend.

They're awesome.

I hope Chevrolet continues to use the 5.5l V8, it makes incredible noise and in a P2 chassis car would clean up at Le Mans...even with restrictors due to the torque.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3555626)   #799
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Got my first in person taste of DP machinery this past weekend.

They're awesome.

I hope Chevrolet continues to use the 5.5l V8, it makes incredible noise and in a P2 chassis car would clean up at Le Mans...even with restrictors due to the torque.
They definitely got better with the BOP to the P2's at the
beginning of TUSC. It really was night and day from GrandAm
to TUSC for the DP's. They now are pretty badass with
their exhaust note. My jaw dropped when I heard and saw them
at the inaugural TUSC race at the Daytona 24 2014.
Old 3 Jul 2015, 16:06 (Ref:3555630)   #800
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
They now are pretty badass with
their exhaust note. My jaw dropped when I heard and saw them
at the inaugural TUSC race at the Daytona 24 2014.
Is there a difference in engine note between 2013 and 2014? I haven't heard them in person since 2013. What I do remember is that the 'pack' during the wave start sounded awesome.