Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Mar 2015, 15:31 (Ref:3512734)   #8026
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much
Old 7 Mar 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3512736)   #8027
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They will be pretty fast this year both WEC and Le Mans
Old 7 Mar 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3512742)   #8028
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
4MJ for Audi,
6MJ for Porsche (they had some problems with the 8MJ system)
and I think 8MJ for Toyota

They will race the Le Mans Aero at Spa.
There is, or will be a Long/short tail version of the car?

Sorry my german isn't that good, but that is the main points I also spotted.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3512743)   #8029
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi will go to Spa with Le mans aero config, is that it?
Old 7 Mar 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3512744)   #8030
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Audi will go to Spa with Le mans aero config, is that it?
It's indeed suggested that there will again be a LM-specific aero package and that it will be raced at Spa, like previous years.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 16:35 (Ref:3512751)   #8031
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
It's indeed suggested that there will again be a LM-specific aero package and that it will be raced at Spa, like previous years.

I'm at spa this year for the first time, also silverstone and LM is anybody going nurburgring ?
Old 7 Mar 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3512754)   #8032
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
4MJ for Audi,
6MJ for Porsche (they had some problems with the 8MJ system)
and I think 8MJ for Toyota

They will race the Le Mans Aero at Spa.
There is, or will be a Long/short tail version of the car?

Sorry my german isn't that good, but that is the main points I also spotted.
The last I heard was that Toyota was going to run 8MJ system but it would be a penalty for them everywhere but Le Mans because they aren't able to harvest it all at the shorter track. Althought I'm not sure that's still a concern.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3512756)   #8033
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
That's due to the 1.55x LM multipier isn't it? To be honest, I wouldn't blame them for putting a Le Mans win above another WEC title - it's served Audi pretty well over the years.

It is more than possible they have increased the storage of the supercapacitor system. However, if they are in the 8MJ class but they cannot make full use of the energy allocation at the shorter tracks it would tally with the rumour that Toyota will eventually move to a battery system. Of course, there's nothing to say that the '15 TS040 will be so quick that the energy deficit doesn't matter.

Last edited by J Jay; 7 Mar 2015 at 17:23.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3512757)   #8034
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A Le Mans win is pretty important but don´t think they will not give their 200% to win the Wec title. Hope I will be at Silverstone or Prologue . Wish I could go to Shangai though.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3512803)   #8035
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
That's due to the 1.55x LM multipier isn't it? To be honest, I wouldn't blame them for putting a Le Mans win above another WEC title - it's served Audi pretty well over the years.

It is more than possible they have increased the storage of the supercapacitor system. However, if they are in the 8MJ class but they cannot make full use of the energy allocation at the shorter tracks it would tally with the rumour that Toyota will eventually move to a battery system. Of course, there's nothing to say that the '15 TS040 will be so quick that the energy deficit doesn't matter.
Last year Toyota did pretty well outside Le Mans with the measly 6MJ, so even if they can't use all 8MJ this year on the "other" tracks, I think they will do just fine!
Old 7 Mar 2015, 21:38 (Ref:3512815)   #8036
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat..._t6yUirSpcFy-g

The test car at Sebring is already a 'long tail'. So that suggests a strategy much in accordance with last year Toyota and Porsche. There will be a basic tub package, and what will differ from circuit to circuit not only Le Mans, are the 'wings' height and profile basically... so doubt if there will be different front and rear sections altoghether... even for Le Mans.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 22:31 (Ref:3512840)   #8037
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat..._t6yUirSpcFy-g

The test car at Sebring is already a 'long tail'. So that suggests a strategy much in accordance with last year Toyota and Porsche. There will be a basic tub package, and what will differ from circuit to circuit not only Le Mans, are the 'wings' height and profile basically... so doubt if there will be different front and rear sections altoghether... even for Le Mans.
I do however expect that we will see a revised aero package at LM (and Spa), likely with similar front-end as last year (with the mandatory holes on the inner face of the front fenders). The two ducts at the front are most probably part of the high-downforce package.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 23:50 (Ref:3512856)   #8038
hcl123
Veteran

According to that article 'translation' those ugly huge air intakes in front, are also the 'air intakes' to cool the front brakes... the aerodynamic aspect as to do with 'ground effect' which generates downforce of course... but all in all doubt they will disappear in any circuit specific package(if there will be different packages at all).
Old 8 Mar 2015, 00:13 (Ref:3512861)   #8039
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know if the enlarged "brake" ducts (which funnel air over and to the outer front diffuser and tuning vanes as much as serve as brake duct feeders) will be deleted for the LM aero kit, but they may be modified. It depends on how much value Audi places on the tuning vanes and how efficient they are at producing downforce for a minimal drag penalty.

The Sport Audi article does show that Audi and Joest seem to be admitting that they made a lot of wrong guesses last year based on 2013 and earlier. All three cars are intended to run the LM aero kit at Spa because of how well Toyota and Porsche did there last year. Audi have also made changes possibly to the suspension of the R18 because it seems to be more tolerant of running on curbs without sacrificing speed or laptime. Also, it seems that Audi have reduced drag while keeping or possibly improving on downforce compared to last year.

Only question I have right now is have Audi improved upon straight line speed? I believe from the Sebring videos that the acceleration of the new R18 is downright vicious compared to even last year or earlier, to the point of where I have to question why they're using a 7 speed gearbox. But they also need top speed to go along with the cornering/braking and acceleration to cause even more of worry to Porsche and Toyota.

Also, photos/illustrations (at the Le Mans Prototypes Blog) show that Audi may've adopted a multi-strake diffuser lay out similar to what Toyota ran last season, to go along with the VGs they ran last year.

Last edited by chernaudi; 8 Mar 2015 at 00:20.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3512865)   #8040
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They also had problems last year with the curbs causing monocoque cracks.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 00:32 (Ref:3512868)   #8041
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That was from the tea tray/plank skid area bouncing over curbs breaking the stays that held the front of the floor to the chassis. At Sebring '13, they broke a stay, but it was where it bolted to the floor. In '14 it was where the stay bolted to the chassis. Audi did some ad-hoc fixes late last season. I don't know how they fixed it for the 2015 cars, since the tubs are basically identical in design to the 2014 cars.

Anyone have any idea if Audi got to their 6500km distance goal?
Old 8 Mar 2015, 02:51 (Ref:3512887)   #8042
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
http://lemansprototypes.over-blog.it...-r18-2015.html showing new details of the R18's aero.

Old 8 Mar 2015, 04:06 (Ref:3512890)   #8043
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't know if the enlarged "brake" ducts (which funnel air over and to the outer front diffuser and tuning vanes as much as serve as brake duct feeders) will be deleted for the LM aero kit, but they may be modified. It depends on how much value Audi places on the tuning vanes and how efficient they are at producing downforce for a minimal drag penalty.

The Sport Audi article does show that Audi and Joest seem to be admitting that they made a lot of wrong guesses last year based on 2013 and earlier. All three cars are intended to run the LM aero kit at Spa because of how well Toyota and Porsche did there last year. Audi have also made changes possibly to the suspension of the R18 because it seems to be more tolerant of running on curbs without sacrificing speed or laptime. Also, it seems that Audi have reduced drag while keeping or possibly improving on downforce compared to last year.

Only question I have right now is have Audi improved upon straight line speed? I believe from the Sebring videos that the acceleration of the new R18 is downright vicious compared to even last year or earlier, to the point of where I have to question why they're using a 7 speed gearbox. But they also need top speed to go along with the cornering/braking and acceleration to cause even more of worry to Porsche and Toyota.

Also, photos/illustrations (at the Le Mans Prototypes Blog) show that Audi may've adopted a multi-strake diffuser lay out similar to what Toyota ran last season, to go along with the VGs they ran last year.
Yes the so called "brake" ducts, yes they can be changed, but wont disappear, not only because of that cooling function, but also because its design suggest Audi wants a clear unencumbered front middle section for 'aero' reasons (where else to put them ?). So the changes, it can encompass a different detachable front section for Le Mans, since is the only circuit with real long straights (that simulates an open road scenario). But nothing like 2014 were the LM version was like a different tub altogether... and doubt that for any other circuit it will be different...

Striaght Line Speed !?...the 2014 'LM version' was already pretty fast if not the fastest. This one can only be better, *double* the electric launch power and better aeros (the short 'sprint version' was a strange case of unbalance).

The same with acceleration, its interconnected with *top* straight line speed (the launch phase is crucial, more than having the potential for 2000hp or so)... 4Mj is double of previous, and there must be some improvement in engine, the fuel rate is only 80.2/79 Kg/h, meaning a reduction of 1.5% for this 4MJ class, compared with 2014... if they achieved only 3% improvement in engine efficiency (there is sooo much to go yet!!..) specially centered at lower revs, only by engine it would accelerate faster... and now you have double electric boost power...
Old 8 Mar 2015, 04:20 (Ref:3512891)   #8044
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
That was from the tea tray/plank skid area bouncing over curbs breaking the stays that held the front of the floor to the chassis. At Sebring '13, they broke a stay, but it was where it bolted to the floor. In '14 it was where the stay bolted to the chassis. Audi did some ad-hoc fixes late last season. I don't know how they fixed it for the 2015 cars, since the tubs are basically identical in design to the 2014 cars.

Anyone have any idea if Audi got to their 6500km distance goal?
This year they run with a little more clearance to the ground to obviate that. Doesn't matter, the test is not for record breaking... so is astonishing if they did!...
Old 8 Mar 2015, 04:43 (Ref:3512893)   #8045
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think a pretty big part of testing is the ultimate laps. Their simulations suggest a target laptime. So if they are able to achieve it on the track, it validates the models they are using for the computer sim. I do think they went out for quick laps.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 16:20 (Ref:3512997)   #8046
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
This photo shows the Toyota-like diffuser strakes, and isn't that part of the diffuser flap inside the brake duct/tuning vane intake?

Old 8 Mar 2015, 16:34 (Ref:3512999)   #8047
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
This photo shows the Toyota-like diffuser strakes, and isn't that part of the diffuser flap inside the brake duct/tuning vane intake?

That was my initial impression when I saw that picture for the first time, but this is likely not a part of the front flap IMHO. There is no evidence that the flap penetrates through the side wall of the duct and, considering that the front flap is supposed to be adjustable, that would evidently require some visible clearance in the side wall to allow movement of the front flap.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 16:55 (Ref:3513006)   #8048
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
There seems to def. be some slot there, whether it's part of the front diffuser or a slot gap to feed the tuning vanes I can't tell. Also, one advantage of the intakes being the way they are is that Audi probably mounted all the hardware for adjusting the diffuser flap (adjustment bolt and hinges) inside the bodywork and keeping that stuff out of the airflow.

I've been wondering about this for a while, but if you listen to the part of the Racer Mag video where the Audi is going down Sebring's back straight, they don't get into 7th gear until almost turn 17.

So I'd have to say that Audi were making their lap times with a gearbox setting that I don't think was 100% optimized for Sebring. But then again, as quickly as they were banging off gears out of the turn 7 chicane, I'd argue that Audi would be in good shape with a 6 speed gearbox, let alone a 7 speed.

There's also a couple of stays under each exhaust flow exit, so I'm guessing that Audi don't want to be accused of having flexing rear bodywork like Porsche last year.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3513007)   #8049
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Note that the front flap mounting brackets that were clearly visible on the 2014 car have apparently disappeared or - as you suggest - may be hidden inside the bodywork. Or could it be that the front flap is not adjustable anymore ? I do wonder if the two red arrows on the two panels between the nose section and the front fenders still point to some front flap adjustment points.

Also interesting to note - even though this is possibly a minor change - that Audi have slightly revised the windshield shape (with a repositioning of the ERS status lights at the base of the windshield, on both sides) as well as the windshield mounting solution which now lacks the previously visible "rivets".

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 8 Mar 2015 at 17:24.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 17:22 (Ref:3513010)   #8050
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi were the ones who introduced the adjustable flap diffuser, and they were probably the biggest lobbyers for it to return under the current rules. On the 2014 cars, the adjustment bolt was just above the hinges. So I'd think that the hinges are hidden by the bodywork that forms the brake duct/tuning vane intake.