Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3445015)   #8026
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
strange they are using the HPD powered one. Maybe have been built only 3 ligier so far so the only one available for oak was that.
I was wondering how many of the new chassis they have available. Obviously at least the three that ran at Le Mans, G-Drive is switching to the Ligier for Cota as well, so 2 chassis will be in Texas. Does TDS have the only other chassis then, or has Oak retained one as well? If Krohn is able to buy one, will it be a new build or one of the 3 known chassis?
Old 18 Aug 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3445018)   #8027
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Oak to switch to the Ligier with hpd power from Austin, according to autosport.
Honestly, it will be VERY interesting to see how it does vs the DP cars on the straights.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3445035)   #8028
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was wondering how many of the new chassis they have available. Obviously at least the three that ran at Le Mans, G-Drive is switching to the Ligier for Cota as well, so 2 chassis will be in Texas. Does TDS have the only other chassis then, or has Oak retained one as well? If Krohn is able to buy one, will it be a new build or one of the 3 known chassis?
I think that is just as we suppose... one nissan chassis is TDS, the other one is involved in WEC. Oak had no choice to use the HPD ligier, anyway they had 3 months to change the engine...
Old 18 Aug 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3445044)   #8029
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Honestly, it will be VERY interesting to see how it does vs the DP cars on the straights.
About as well as the HPD chassis from ESM. Hopefully OAK will be able to get a setup nailed quickly and actually have a shot..
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Aug 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3445046)   #8030
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
How much extra room for horsepower is left in the HPD, if they were allowed to exploit it?
Old 18 Aug 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3445047)   #8031
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
About as well as the HPD chassis from ESM. Hopefully OAK will be able to get a setup nailed quickly and actually have a shot..
Aero should be a bit better than the old HPD chassis. Might result in better straight line speed once it gets up and running.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3445052)   #8032
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Someone posted Le Mans trap speeds a little while back, and there was no appreciable difference between the Ligiers and the open-top cars.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3445054)   #8033
Danathar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Someone posted Le Mans trap speeds a little while back, and there was no appreciable difference between the Ligiers and the open-top cars.
That's interesting considering that there is less drag on an open top car vs closed.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3445057)   #8034
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
How much extra room for horsepower is left in the HPD, if they were allowed to exploit it?
No room.

In a short sprint race(90 min) they could get more but not in a Endurance race(6hrs or more).

The HR28tt is design limited because of it's production based Heads and Block.

Heads=SOHC
Block=98mm bore centers(small bearings that can't handle more boost)
Old 18 Aug 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3445060)   #8035
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Don't know what to tell you, Danathar, as I would normally expect a bit more top-end from a coupe as opposed to a spyder. From what I recall of the table, the fastest P2 on top-end was one of the Zyteks, I think.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3445082)   #8036
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't know what to tell you, Danathar, as I would normally expect a bit more top-end from a coupe as opposed to a spyder. From what I recall of the table, the fastest P2 on top-end was one of the Zyteks, I think.
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Res...Speed_Race.PDF
http://elms.alkamelsystems.com/Resul...Speed_Race.PDF
etc
Old 18 Aug 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3445085)   #8037
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
That's interesting considering that there is less drag on an open top car vs closed.
Quote:
There is a list of qualifying trap speeds and sector times here:
http://nasportscar.com/bens-analysis...ns-qualifying/

Maybe the Ligier has some more potential speed in the setup that has yet to be found vs the other P2's which have years and years of data.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3445097)   #8038
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I mis-remembered, apparently. So, it was the Oreca-Judd that went a couple miles per hour quicker than the rest.

I will say that, apart from the Lotus T128 LMP2, none of these new-spec P2 coupes look especially slippery compared to earlier, enclosed LMPs.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3445101)   #8039
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I mis-remembered, apparently. So, it was the Oreca-Judd that went a couple miles per hour quicker than the rest.

I will say that, apart from the Lotus T128 LMP2, none of these new-spec P2 coupes look especially slippery compared to earlier, enclosed LMPs.

Juding by the top speeds and shamefull laptimes, I guess that T128 simply had not any downforce... I guess that the extra downforce produced by the new lmp2 coupè is counter balanced by the extra drag.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 18:51 (Ref:3445119)   #8040
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Closed top LMPs have never had inherently less drag. They have a lower Cd but higher frontal area because of the minimum size of the roof. They can be a little more efficient because of smoother air flow around the cockpit area but that's also a tradeoff against the amount of exposure the rear wing gets and a higher center of mass.

The reasons people are building closed top cars these days are 1) they're mandatory in P1, 2) they quite likely may become mandatory in P2, 3) they look cool, and 4) they're perceived safer by many customers besides the governing body. They were probably more optimal for diesels and hybrids anyways because those cars had to be bulky regardless.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3445126)   #8041
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The reasons people are building closed top cars these days are 1) they're mandatory in P1, 2) they quite likely may become mandatory in P2, 3) they look cool, and 4) they're perceived safer by many customers besides the governing body. They were probably more optimal for diesels and hybrids anyways because those cars had to be bulky regardless.
5) Pitstop rules have been adjusted so that there is no time advantage in running open top anymore

Also coupes WILL become mandatory in P2 with the new rules, already confirmed.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3445156)   #8042
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I'd imagine hitting the blunt front of those roll-over structures on the open cars stirs up the air quite a bit. So, I'm not sure that a coupe is particularly worse for getting undisturbed airflow to the rear wing.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3445198)   #8043
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Theres reason Audi went coupe on the R18, Toyota went coupe on the TS030, Peugeot on the 908 etc. Iirc, the big benefits of the open cars was no need for air-con and driver change.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 00:11 (Ref:3445235)   #8044
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Closed top LMPs have never had inherently less drag. They have a lower Cd but higher frontal area because of the minimum size of the roof. They can be a little more efficient because of smoother air flow around the cockpit area but that's also a tradeoff against the amount of exposure the rear wing gets and a higher center of mass.

Excellent post, most unusual these days and very refreshing.

As has already been pointed out, a coupe will be mandatory in the near future. The part in bold would actually have been the major driving force to go to a coupe had that not been the case. There are several drivers in TUSC alone that would be participants in P2 now had coupes been readily available, (the once temporarily semi defunct Lola not withstanding).

Quote:
The same engine in 3.5 liter form (DP) makes considerably more horsepower.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3445241)   #8045
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Spratt View Post
The same engine in 3.5 liter form (DP) makes considerably more horsepower.
In cubic inches and metric volumes, what are the differences in sizes? I don't think the engine sizes are equal.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3445244)   #8046
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In cubic inches and metric volumes, what are the differences in sizes? I don't think the engine sizes are equal.
2.8 for the P2 vs 3.5 for the DP. Same base engine though, (originally a 3.5), it has the mechanical potential to be able to apply more power to it but physics rears it's ugly head with the smaller displacement.
Old 21 Aug 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3445997)   #8047
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
New rules for drivers on (not) existing their cars after an incident:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10760...driver-conduct

Not sure how to interpret this part:
Quote:
the Driver should take the following steps as a Full Course Yellow is declared:
Somehow I read this as: "No more hope to have anything done under local yellows".
Old 21 Aug 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3445999)   #8048
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something was done under local yellows before?
Old 22 Aug 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3446238)   #8049
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Well, Riley has now thrown their hat in the ring with Coyote for building 2017 protos. Interesting quote from Mr Riley says that they are building the car but it is up to Elkins (he didn't mention anybody else by name for some reason?) to decide what the rules will be regarding manufacturer specific body kits.

I feel like a broken record, but if there was little interest in body kits for DP's why do they think it will be different with 2017 Protos? Fans are fine looking at lmp style bodywork, doesn't need manufacturer cues....although the Aston Lola's did look pretty good.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3446240)   #8050
Deleted
Veteran

Well even the ACO mentioned those NA-specific/LM-illegal bodyworks so I'd say they are coming... and since GM appears to be bothering (to consider) to upgrade the current "C6 Corvette" DP bodyworks to "C7 Corvettes" for next year, I'd say they are one of the forces driving for it. And it's not like Grand-Am and people involved in it ever really listened to what fans wanted...

Anyway interesting bit about the P3

Quote:
Riley said he would like to see LMP3 find a home in North American racing, preferably in a development series such as IMSA Prototype Lites, before being considered for the TUDOR Championship as a replacement to Prototype Challenge in 2017.
Not sure how many Lites team would like to invest in such product but that would be a good first stepping stone.
Closed Thread